Re: VT English Ass't Professor

Post by USN_Hokie »

Congratulations, you've broken the New UWS dupe post cherry. :mrgreen:

Welcome...
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: VT English Ass't Professor

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:Congratulations, you've broken the New UWS dupe post cherry. :mrgreen:

Welcome...
fity snuck in the other night and did it first. Dave can merge threads together and did so with that.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: So, one of our Professors doesn't like to say "support o

Post by HokieJoe »

Marine Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:That's one of our lessons learned from WWII

So WWII happened because of a lack of US military bases in other countries?
awesome guy wrote:after return to isolationism after WWI.
I know your history teacher told you otherwise, but post WWI isolationism is a myth to encourage policies of intervention (like you're doing here).

That the US didn't join the League of Nations is hardly isolationism. Protective tariffs (economic isolation) and stricter immigration policies may have been bad, but they don't count as isolationism either.

Historians who specialize in the area reject that the US was in a period of isolationism, and instead insist that it was a period of internationalism. The US government's involvement in the Washington Naval conference, the Dawes Plan (I realize this wasn't an official government action other than by proxy), and various treaties destroys any argument that there was a period of isolationism.

The U.S. populace (voters) were isolationist though. IIRC, FDR wanted to get involved in WWII earlier, but he didn't have enough popular support. It wasn't until after Pearl Harbor that the public jumped on board.

One might argue that Japan attacked us because they saw the U.S. as encroaching on their 'turf', but that's a different argument.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Marine Hokie

Re: So, one of our Professors doesn't like to say "support o

Post by Marine Hokie »

They weren't, but Awesome and I were discussing the US government, not the people.
In general, the people weren't isolationists either. They wanted global trade, immigration, etc. They were non-interventionists.
Japan attacked because the US implemented a complete trade embargo with Japan, froze Japanese assets in the US, and encouraged other countries to do the same. The lend lease act didn't help. There were other things that led to it, but I'm not really clear on why you're bringing it up here.
HokieJoe wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:That's one of our lessons learned from WWII

So WWII happened because of a lack of US military bases in other countries?
awesome guy wrote:after return to isolationism after WWI.
I know your history teacher told you otherwise, but post WWI isolationism is a myth to encourage policies of intervention (like you're doing here).

That the US didn't join the League of Nations is hardly isolationism. Protective tariffs (economic isolation) and stricter immigration policies may have been bad, but they don't count as isolationism either.

Historians who specialize in the area reject that the US was in a period of isolationism, and instead insist that it was a period of internationalism. The US government's involvement in the Washington Naval conference, the Dawes Plan (I realize this wasn't an official government action other than by proxy), and various treaties destroys any argument that there was a period of isolationism.

The U.S. populace (voters) were isolationist though. IIRC, FDR wanted to get involved in WWII earlier, but he didn't have enough popular support. It wasn't until after Pearl Harbor that the public jumped on board.

One might argue that Japan attacked us because they saw the U.S. as encroaching on their 'turf', but that's a different argument.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.