if there's a good weekend to be injured ...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

if there's a good weekend to be injured ...

Post by awesome guy »

This may be it!

In RVA this weekend with have the Brunswick Stew Festival at the farmers market. In Urbana there is the oyster festival. And at RIR, there is this pow-wow. I haven't been to the one at the race track, but if it's like the one on the reservation then be warned that some may be smoking the ole peace pipe. But it's interesting enough to see at least once in your life. You may even brush up with Elizabeth Warren! LOL

I have to decide if my back is up to going to Urbana as that's my first choice. I may need to just split duties up with the wife and send her to the Brunswick Stew festival while I load up on oysters on Saturday, then eat stew on Sunday.

http://wtvr.com/2015/11/06/great-americ ... xposition/
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
PolyTech

Re: if there's a good weekend to be injured ...

Post by PolyTech »

That brings back memories, AG. As a kid, we went to the Oyster Festival every year - Dad knew another Tech grad that lived there, and we'd go down there. They had these fake labels that went around their beer cans so they could drink beer on the street while they watched the parade.

And yeah, my Scout troop would make 350 quarts of Brunswick stew as a fundraiser every year. Seems like there were an awful lot of stewpots available - every church, civic club, and even the municipal park had buildings available with stewpots (some were even gas rather than wood burning). And there were folks that you could hire that would run the stew for you - there was an actual "stewmaster" you could hire...
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:That brings back memories, AG. As a kid, we went to the Oyster Festival every year - Dad knew another Tech grad that lived there, and we'd go down there. They had these fake labels that went around their beer cans so they could drink beer on the street while they watched the parade.

And yeah, my Scout troop would make 350 quarts of Brunswick stew as a fundraiser every year. Seems like there were an awful lot of stewpots available - every church, civic club, and even the municipal park had buildings available with stewpots (some were even gas rather than wood burning). And there were folks that you could hire that would run the stew for you - there was an actual "stewmaster" you could hire...
I'm a New Brunswick stew junky. Can't get enough of that stuff. I want to make a batch myself like my papa used to with venison, rabbit, and squirrel instead of chicken. Getting hungry just thinking about it!
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

I'd love to recreate that Scout stew. It had ground beef, chicken (each parent got a chicken sent home with the kid to boil and pick), onion, potato, butterbeans, corn and tomatoes. Always cooked until the chicken broke down into individual fibers and kinda thickened it. Good stuff! Mrs. Fearnow's definitely doesn't compare.
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:I'd love to recreate that Scout stew. It had ground beef, chicken (each parent got a chicken sent home with the kid to boil and pick), onion, potato, butterbeans, corn and tomatoes. Always cooked until the chicken broke down into individual fibers and kinda thickened it. Good stuff! Mrs. Fearnow's definitely doesn't compare.
I just finished gorging. All stews were at least good except one hippie who made more of a soup. The meat was still chunks! Two were exceptional, of course from firefighters. I say do it and make that awesome stew! It's the best stuff on earth.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

I'm gonna do it - it's definitely stew season. Need to research and see what I can find recipe-wise.

How's the back? Guess you didn't go to Urbanna.
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:I'm gonna do it - it's definitely stew season. Need to research and see what I can find recipe-wise.

How's the back? Guess you didn't go to Urbanna.
I may go tomorrow. Back is so-so. Walking in the rain certainly didn't help.