I like uws, but i'm looking for an alternative. Seems

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

I like uws, but i'm looking for an alternative. Seems

Post by oaktonhokie »

most of my posts are like sending a message in a bottle. Don't know if anyone saw it or cared.

Maybe it's because:

There are not enough people on this board. Dunno.
My posts are so insightful and dispositive that responses are not necessary. Libs know they can't win a debate, so they abstain.
My posts are so lame and insipid that responses are a waste of time. Libs know that they can't lose and fish in a barrel is no fun.
My positions are so well staked out that there is no point in debating, or commenting.

Maybe it's just my delicate feelings being hurt.
Maybe it's micro aggression. Many of my posts with zero responses.

Anyway, I have been on a couple other college boards. Not much going on.

Anyone know of message boards where grown ups discuss stuff?

I like this board. I like and appreciate what dave has done and is doing. I just don't like the message in a bottle thing. If I find another place i'll be in this one and that one. I'd rather just stay here.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: I like uws, but i'm looking for an alternative. Seems

Post by awesome guy »

As crappy as this can be, it's better than most other political boards. Or just slightly better. Left and right are just too far apart to communicate. Both have different starting points, psychologies, ethics, and desired outcomes. We're just too different. The nation real should split into 2 entities.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
miles

Post by miles »

oaktonhokie wrote:most of my posts are like sending a message in a bottle. Don't know if anyone saw it or cared.

Maybe it's because:

My posts are so insightful and dispositive that responses are not necessary. Libs know they can't win a debate, so they abstain.
My posts are so lame and insipid that responses are a waste of time. Libs know that they can't lose and fish in a barrel is no fun.
My positions are so well staked out that there is no point in debating, or commenting.

I like this board. I like and appreciate what dave has done and is doing. I just don't like the message in a bottle thing. If I find another place i'll be in this one and that one. I'd rather just stay here.
Hello, houtex, are you subbing in for oakton today? :)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

The board is too polarized IMO. Whether an act (trolling), or not....most of the folks who were previously middle of the road have veered to one of the extremes (many to the left).

People just talk past each other because they're too committed to their politics. Obama could rape an orphanage on live TV and folks here would defend it.

I wonder whether it's a problem with the board....or America in general? I kind of feel like the whole country is experiencing this...
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

miles wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:most of my posts are like sending a message in a bottle. Don't know if anyone saw it or cared.

Maybe it's because:

Hello, houtex, are you subbing in for oakton today? :)
LOL :lol:

I don't know whether it's maybe too dominated by a few individuals?

Do you realize that of the 50 threads on the first page of the board 14 were started by Oak and 14 by AG? That's 28 of 50, over half, begun by two individuals who set the tone for the board and decide which topics are relevant. Houtie chimes in occasionally, but more often than not, I don't even click his threads cuz I already know 95% of the time he's trolling.

I enjoy coming here cuz I get affirmation I'm doing something right anytime a con says I'm too liberal while a lib says I'm too conservative. I get both, and I get them often.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Maybe it's because:

Your posts are a great deal like my sister-in-law on Facebook. She reposts EVERYTHING she sees such that if you allow her in your newsfeed, that's all you see. You start the vast majority of threads here...might try stepping back from time to time.

I do appreciate the humor, though, of someone who cannot discuss issues without using childish nicknames for political figures looking for a place for grown ups to discuss stuff.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Maybe it's because:

Well....if you really want to jump into the frying pan:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics ... roversies/

If you decide to start posting there, let me know. I might come over and join you.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Try Topix Politics.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I find this board pretty interesting. The thing is, we all know that there is nothing any of could say about anything that would change anybody's opinion. Yet, a lot of post are written with the passion of someone trying to convert the nonbelievers. Interesting?

I have always wondered how different it would be if wasn't anonymous? Let's say we used the Facebook login...would the board wither and die? I think it probably would die.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie5150 wrote:

Maybe it's because:

Your posts are a great deal like my sister-in-law on Facebook. She reposts EVERYTHING she sees such that if you allow her in your newsfeed, that's all you see. You start the vast majority of threads here...might try stepping back from time to time.

I do appreciate the humor, though, of someone who cannot discuss issues without using childish nicknames for political figures looking for a place for grown ups to discuss stuff.
Yep, oakie, I think it might work better to post less topics, and focus on just a few issues that are important to you. I would guess that you are the 2nd most active poster on this board, and probably the one that starts the most topics. For me, your posts are entertaining, but a lot of them are filled with your own ramblings and made up scenarios. It makes it less likely that I'm going to open up a thread, unless there are a high number of responses (indicating that the topic is of interest, and not just stream of consciousness).

And maybe that it's that we don't have a huge number of members, so over time, when someone stops posting, there's no one to take their place.

I will also say I've been spending more time on TSL, because Beamer's retirement is interesting, and a lot of threads on this board end up being ridiculous namecalling matches b/c of a very small group of posters.

I'd miss your posts overall, if you left, though, so DON'T DO IT!!!
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I find this board pretty interesting. The thing is, we all know that there is nothing any of could say about anything that would change anybody's opinion. Yet, a lot of post are written with the passion of someone trying to convert the nonbelievers. Interesting?

I have always wondered how different it would be if wasn't anonymous? Let's say we used the Facebook login...would the board wither and die? I think it probably would die.
Pffft I'm only on facebook for one reason :!: Bloom County baby :!: I also follow MolyAnn Wymer...she's a hoot. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote: I have always wondered how different it would be if wasn't anonymous? Let's say we used the Facebook login...would the board wither and die? I think it probably would die.
Without a doubt. It's part of the reason I avoid Facebook like a Charlie Sheen party.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote: I have always wondered how different it would be if wasn't anonymous? Let's say we used the Facebook login...would the board wither and die? I think it probably would die.
Without a doubt. It's part of the reason I avoid Facebook like a Charlie Sheen party.
Why? Do you say things here that you wouldn't post on Facebook?
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Engaging on Facebook is a beautiful thing. I very rarely start an original post about politics but will often post on top of other people's political posts. Learning how to discuss politics cordially is very important and the fact that people rarely engage in it in that manner is a big reason our country's election politics are worse than ever.

I watched an 80's tv show type of discussion debate between Christopher Hitchens, a conservative guy whom I don't know, hosted by William F Buckley. Their sophistication in discussion doesn't happen today. Ratings wouldn't allow for it...
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I act differently on here than on Facebook and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'd say it's a pretty natural way of the world.
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Chiming in as far as why I don't respond to many of your posts. Most of them seem to be you venting and thus not conducive to any actual discussion. If there are a lot of replies I'll open it and read but otherwise I usually just skip over them. They're usually "something <insert insulting name for person/politician/group here> did or said pissed me off. that person/politician/group is a liar/cheater/scum. this is where our country is at. <insert pithy catchphrase (overwhelming the system, bend over backwards, etc)>."

There's just not much to be said to something like that and I usually just assume that you're just blowing off steam instead of looking for an actual discussion (sort of like people on TSL after a loss).
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I act differently on here than on Facebook and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'd say it's a pretty natural way of the world.
Me too. I like to be able to express my political views, but I don't want someone to be able to check my FB account and see them.

We shouldn't be afraid to express our views, but in this world, employers or potential employers could use your views against you.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
absolutvt03
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Hokie5150 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
My biggest issue with requiring Facebook logins is it can invite more personal attacks. I've seen lots of comments on articles with responses focused solely on the Facebook person's profile picture and/or job or people go look at that person's profile and come back with comments about that person's wife or kids or whatever. When I was in college I posted on a gaming forum frequently. One person there didn't like me, was able to find out my real name and went through a lot of effort to find out as much about me as possible for the sole purpose of attacking me on a message board... about video games. With Facebook logins you're just making it that much easier for people like that. I have no problem attaching my name to things I post but it's not worth having to listen to someone insult my appearance or my job or my friends or family.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
You think I'm an a-hole to everyone in real life? :).

I say plenty here I wouldn't say on Facebook (if I had an account). Have you looked around? People get fired/boycotted for the dumbest shirt.

Hell, Diggety made a threat to me, of course he was too incompetent to do anything ...
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

absolutvt03 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
My biggest issue with requiring Facebook logins is it can invite more personal attacks. I've seen lots of comments on articles with responses focused solely on the Facebook person's profile picture and/or job or people go look at that person's profile and come back with comments about that person's wife or kids or whatever. When I was in college I posted on a gaming forum frequently. One person there didn't like me, was able to find out my real name and went through a lot of effort to find out as much about me as possible for the sole purpose of attacking me on a message board... about video games. With Facebook logins you're just making it that much easier for people like that. I have no problem attaching my name to things I post but it's not worth having to listen to someone insult my appearance or my job or my friends or family.
We had a guy here do something very similar to another poster from here.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

who was that?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Maybe it's because:

Cold
oaktonhokie wrote:My posts are so insightful and dispositive that responses are not necessary. Libs know they can't win a debate, so they abstain.

COLDER
oaktonhokie wrote:My posts are so lame and insipid that responses are a waste of time. Libs know that they can't lose and fish in a barrel is no fun.
WARMER
oaktonhokie wrote:My positions are so well staked out that there is no point in debating, or commenting.
HOT
oaktonhokie wrote:Maybe it's just my delicate feelings being hurt.
Judging from your posts about, oh I don't know, everything, this is DEFINITELY the case.
oaktonhokie wrote:Maybe it's micro aggression. Many of my posts with zero responses.
By microaggression, you mean lack of interest in non-interesting posts.
oaktonhokie wrote:Anyway, I have been on a couple other college boards. Not much going on.
By "not going on" do you mean no updates on what Rush Limbaugh said that day?
oaktonhokie wrote:Anyone know of message boards where grown ups discuss stuff?
What would YOU do with that information?
oaktonhokie wrote:I like this board. I like and appreciate what dave has done and is doing.

Other than when he had the audacity to "censor" you, right?
oaktonhokie wrote:I just don't like the message in a bottle thing. If I find another place i'll be in this one and that one. I'd rather just stay here.
I think you focus all on the other - why deny them your greatness?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I almost forgot about that....
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I find this board pretty interesting. The thing is, we all know that there is nothing any of could say about anything that would change anybody's opinion. Yet, a lot of post are written with the passion of someone trying to convert the nonbelievers. Interesting?

Good points.

Nothing wrong with stating diverse opinions and trying to make your case, even knowing that most won't be swayed.

The only downside I have is some of the childish back and forth, name calling, you hit me no you hit me first that gets into some of the threads.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
I'm an adult -- I'm not on Facebook.