Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Re: I like uws, but i'm looking for an alternative. Seems

Post by ElbertoHokie »

I view your posts the same as my grandmother that sends me spam email all the time. She shares your political view and sends along anything and everything about Obama and his muslim ways. No questioning, no fact checking.

I feel like your posts are the message board form of that. You're so angry at him and what he's done(whether he's done it or not) that facts are meaningless at this point. Your anger has overwhelmed any form of sense that you seemed to have.

What fun is it to talk to people like that? There is none. I ignore most of your posts that start off as: Guess what the liberal did today to ruin our country or guess what (add any insulting obama term with racial underpinnings) did today to make sure our country is ruined?!

Ultimately, this whole thing is a giant shade of gray and you only seem to want to deal in black and white.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

There are several posters who are open to cordial, intelligent discussion, and they make the board worthwhile. This board is important because it serves the purpose of bringing new issues & viewpoints that the average person doesn't frankly have time to encounter in their daily lives. That is its best asset.

If any of us come here without the humility to consider that others' opinions may be closer to the truth than our own (especially those that have evidence or data behind them), then frankly there's no point in engaging said contributors.

Too many of us take the "easy road" of snark, insult and name-calling, when the board would be (a) more populated and (b) more attractive were it removed. Off the top of my head, Rusty, Marine & Beerman were all great posters, with whom I didn't always agree, but whose contributions were more often than not cordial and insightful.

For this board to grow into an attractive place, we all need to self-regulate. We all have the capacity to do this, and we all have important contributions that should be heard. We just need to deliver them better and be open to others' opinions more often.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:There are several posters who are open to cordial, intelligent discussion, and they make the board worthwhile. This board is important because it serves the purpose of bringing new issues & viewpoints that the average person doesn't frankly have time to encounter in their daily lives. That is its best asset.

If any of us come here without the humility to consider that others' opinions may be closer to the truth than our own (especially those that have evidence or data behind them), then frankly there's no point in engaging said contributors.

Too many of us take the "easy road" of snark, insult and name-calling, when the board would be (a) more populated and (b) more attractive were it removed. Off the top of my head, Rusty, Marine & Beerman were all great posters, with whom I didn't always agree, but whose contributions were more often than not cordial and insightful.

For this board to grow into an attractive place, we all need to self-regulate. We all have the capacity to do this, and we all have important contributions that should be heard. We just need to deliver them better and be open to others' opinions more often.
95% of Rusty's posts were snark/insult one-liners. He almost never stuck around to discuss anything. I liked Marine and Beerman was never that bad.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:There are several posters who are open to cordial, intelligent discussion, and they make the board worthwhile. This board is important because it serves the purpose of bringing new issues & viewpoints that the average person doesn't frankly have time to encounter in their daily lives. That is its best asset.

95% of Rusty's posts were snark/insult one-liners. He almost never stuck around to discuss anything. I liked Marine and Beerman was never that bad.
I agree that Rusty ended up giving it when he got it. But he was very knowledgeable and had good insights that I haven't found repeated by anyone else here (possible exception of H2).
hokie

Post by hokie »

Oak...I have watched this board for some time but this is my very first post. One of the reasons I check in is to see what you have to say. So, if you split, that would not make my day. Just saying.
miles

Post by miles »

VisorBoy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I agree that Rusty ended up giving it when he got it. But he was very knowledgeable and had good insights that I haven't found repeated by anyone else here (possible exception of H2).
Yeah, he was hard on anybody that noted bias or lack of objectivity by the media, said that was bs.
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Chiming in... not that you really want to hear from me :mrgreen:

I think the two major reasons you may not get many replies are:
1) You initiate lots of threads every day. And the substance of many of these threads are copying an article from a partisan source that reinforces a view that you hold. It's high volume of low quality information.
2) When you get responses that disagree with you... rather than engage in a adult discussion, your responses tend to attack the dissenter. So... who would want to reply (other than someone who wants to group masturbate with you in violent agreement)?

My experience with this board is that there are two posters who are not really interested in adult conversation. So I rarely respond to their posts. (Hint: Click on Members, sort on Posts, the top two posters). :mrgreen:
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:The board is too polarized IMO. Whether an act (trolling), or not....most of the folks who were previously middle of the road have veered to one of the extremes (many to the left).

People just talk past each other because they're too committed to their politics. Obama could rape an orphanage on live TV and folks here would defend it.

I wonder whether it's a problem with the board....or America in general? I kind of feel like the whole country is experiencing this...

I think it's the country and politics in general. The interwebz has probably served to further the polarization. So, I don't think it's anything particular to this board. That much is evident when I visit lefty sites.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:most of my posts are like sending a message in a bottle. Don't know if anyone saw it or cared.

Maybe it's because:

There are not enough people on this board. Dunno.
My posts are so insightful and dispositive that responses are not necessary. Libs know they can't win a debate, so they abstain.
My posts are so lame and insipid that responses are a waste of time. Libs know that they can't lose and fish in a barrel is no fun.
My positions are so well staked out that there is no point in debating, or commenting.

Maybe it's just my delicate feelings being hurt.
Maybe it's micro aggression. Many of my posts with zero responses.

Anyway, I have been on a couple other college boards. Not much going on.

Anyone know of message boards where grown ups discuss stuff?

I like this board. I like and appreciate what dave has done and is doing. I just don't like the message in a bottle thing. If I find another place i'll be in this one and that one. I'd rather just stay here.
To answer your question directly/bluntly, I don't think you get a lot of responses because your posts are often rhetorical.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote: I'm an adult -- I'm not on Facebook.
Then you must be an adult with grandchildren. Most adults without an AARP card are on Facebook. That's why the kids have all abandoned Facebook for Instagram and Snapchat :mrgreen:
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Then you must be an adult with grandchildren. Most adults without an AARP card are on Facebook. That's why the kids have all abandoned Facebook for Instagram and Snapchat :mrgreen:
Actually, most aren't. Many never did. Some got on but got off once they saw the waste that it was. And some have stayed on. But the reality is that when Facebook first started most adults saw it as something for kids and never got on except to check up on their kids. Once that happened kids abandoned it for the next great thing.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Actually, most aren't. Many never did. Some got on but got off once they saw the waste that it was. And some have stayed on. But the reality is that when Facebook first started most adults saw it as something for kids and never got on except to check up on their kids. Once that happened kids abandoned it for the next great thing.
Maybe we live in very different environments. Where I live, most of my adult friends are on Facebook. Also, I run a business which uses a Facebook group as part of our communication strategy and most of my adult customers are members.

Some do it to monitor their kid's online activity... and others have found it an efficient way to keep in touch with friends and family all over the country.

Embrace the future :mrgreen:
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
I tend to see more older females than older males (attention: anecdotal!).

Part of the reason I think is that older females use it is to keep in touch with children.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

VisorBoy wrote: I tend to see more older females than older males (attention: anecdotal!).

Part of the reason I think is that older females use it is to keep in touch with children.
Maybe you are just looking for the Cougars... you dirty, dirty boy you :mrgreen:

I see both, but yes... I do see gaggles of mommies playing the "look how awesome my kids are game". The dads tend to post live pics from sporting events, a perfectly seasoned animal on the grill, beer and booze reviews and commentary... they are out there! :mrgreen:
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Maybe we live in very different environments. Where I live, most of my adult friends are on Facebook. Also, I run a business which uses a Facebook group as part of our communication strategy and most of my adult customers are members.

Some do it to monitor their kid's online activity... and others have found it an efficient way to keep in touch with friends and family all over the country.

Embrace the future :mrgreen:
I have. Apparently you're still in the past though :o