Stat of the day: Police civil asset forfeitures exceeded...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Stat of the day: Police civil asset forfeitures exceeded...

Post by USN_Hokie »

...the value of all burglaries for 2014.

Total value of property loss due to burglary in 2014: $3.9B
Total value of assets seized by police in 2014: $4.5B

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-1 ... aries-2014
cwtcr hokie

Re: Stat of the day: Police civil asset forfeitures exceede

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:...the value of all burglaries for 2014.

Total value of property loss due to burglary in 2014: $3.9B
Total value of assets seized by police in 2014: $4.5B

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-1 ... aries-2014
the drug business is very lucrative, until it is not.

I know some people that should not have assets seized have it happen to them, then again the IRS seizes folks stuff also.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Anyone who thinks this was $4.5B of assets taken completely from drug cartels and their distribution networks is fooling themselves. Policing is big business and even getting a DWI can result in your possessions being taken without any judgement by a court. It's not a principle our country was founded on.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/invest ... w-who-won/

Yes, this is a horrible trend, one in which the police forces (the government) has been given way too much power to take from citizens. Americans should be outraged but we're not. It usually occurs to people that likely are doing something shady, but without any reasonable level of proof. It's disturbing. Happened to a guy I'm familiar with from growing up in the Shenandoah Valley. He's highlighted in the post link.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Anyone who thinks this was $4.5B of assets taken completely from drug cartels and their distribution networks is fooling themselves. Policing is big business and even getting a DWI can result in your possessions being taken without any judgement by a court. It's not a principle our country was founded on.
I don't have the stats but my guess is a large majority of it is taken from illegal operations, what is included in the figure, are the actual drugs seized value added to it? The drug business is very lucrative tho, it is not surprising when assets are seized that there would be a lot of value there. I do realize people can get caught up in errors and I definitely agree it sucks bad, prob. as much as the guy the other day in morning rush hour traffic and made a mistake and crossed the center line on a two lane road and killed himself and the guy he ran into that had just gotten married the month before. Bad crap happens, your hope is it does not happen to you no matter what it is.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Anyone who thinks this was $4.5B of assets taken completely from drug cartels and their distribution networks is fooling themselves. Policing is big business and even getting a DWI can result in your possessions being taken without any judgement by a court. It's not a principle our country was founded on.
I don't have the stats but my guess is a large majority of it is taken from illegal operations, what is included in the figure, are the actual drugs seized value added to it? The drug business is very lucrative tho, it is not surprising when assets are seized that there would be a lot of value there. I do realize people can get caught up in errors and I definitely agree it sucks bad, prob. as much as the guy the other day in morning rush hour traffic and made a mistake and crossed the center line on a two lane road and killed himself and the guy he ran into that had just gotten married the month before. Bad crap happens, your hope is it does not happen to you no matter what it is.
Bad crap happens because bad laws and procedures exist that should be changed.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Hey, bad things happen. If you don't want your property stolen by the police, don't have property... I guess that's it.
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Uprising wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Hey, bad things happen. If you don't want your property stolen by the police, don't have property... I guess that's it.
Yep... the best part is pretty much the only time cwtcr adopts this "bad things happen" attitude is when it involves the police and/or racism. No point in taking any kind of action to prevent it because hey... bad things happen. But when it comes to something like letting in Syrian refugees suddenly it's not "bad things happen" and he's all about trying to minimize the risk of it happening. But I'm sure if we were to discuss gun control he'd be right back to "no point in trying to prevent mass shootings, bad things happen, some people are just crazy". It's a very interesting contrast.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

You and i can totally agree on this one. John Oliver did a great piece on this on his show. They use this in lieu of budgetary funding and it's a dangerous precedent. The constitution protects against illegal search and SEIZURE, and the capitalized word is exactly what it is. I understand why the law was made and I get what it was intended for, but it's been twisted by local law enforcement. Now that most people have acknowledged that the war on drugs has not worked, these laws need to be totally overhauled(or eliminated).
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

absolutvt03 wrote:
Uprising wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Yep... the best part is pretty much the only time cwtcr adopts this "bad things happen" attitude is when it involves the police and/or racism. No point in taking any kind of action to prevent it because hey... bad things happen. But when it comes to something like letting in Syrian refugees suddenly it's not "bad things happen" and he's all about trying to minimize the risk of it happening. But I'm sure if we were to discuss gun control he'd be right back to "no point in trying to prevent mass shootings, bad things happen, some people are just crazy". It's a very interesting contrast.
Sorry dude, I don't have a solution for the issue, the laws are needed for the criminals as it is a deterrent to running criminal operations. The same thing as folks that embezzle being forced to pay back what they took. But if you have a suggestion for how to "fix" it then you and BG and anybody else would love to hear it. I deal with the reality as it is now, not the fantasy of what is perfect. But I will definitely listen to any suggestions. I agree tho if your luck sucks and you get wrapped up in something wether it be a bad seizure or the IRS hounding you when they are wrong it sucks out loud and yes if it was me involved I would be pissed also.

Yes I agree 10000% bad luck sucks in any form it takes
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Uprising wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
funny thing about my responses, you folks raise crap about them and yet never ever ever ever give out one solution. What is your solution the problem?
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

We keep inching towards becoming a banana republic. It's like Boss Hogg controls too many parts of the country.

USN briefly engaged in this once, but law enforcement needs the same concept of enlisted vs officer that the military has imho. Too many greedy mouth breathers in positions of power, protected by a union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
funny thing about my responses, you folks raise crap about them and yet never ever ever ever give out one solution. What is your solution the problem?
Here's one. Stop taking assets before a criminal conviction has completed. Overall, the solution in these cases is to reduce asset forfeiture significantly. Breaking a law doesn't give the government the right to take people's assets.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/po ... /74245068/
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

The tap is running dry, but the bureaucratic beast must still be fed.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Here's one. Stop taking assets before a criminal conviction has completed. Overall, the solution in these cases is to reduce asset forfeiture significantly. Breaking a law doesn't give the government the right to take people's assets.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/po ... /74245068/
I agree on the conviction part but when you say no penalty for breaking law as it relates to assets purchased with the earnings of breaking the law then that would be the same as saying if you steal another persons property then you get to keep it once you are busted and to me that does not seem like a good idea. The assets being seized are assets that are purchased with cash gained thru illegal means, I have no issue with taking that stuff as there should not be a reward for running a criminal enterprise.