Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Re: TSL has a new logo

Post by RiverguyVT »

BG Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:OK... so it seems that the people who don't like TSL have been booted from there and/or don't like the moderators attempts to influence the dialogue (which they do primarily because some posters beat the same dead horse over and over again - as if that makes it more true).
So... the people who don't know how to behave over there are now over here? And this is the better board because people know how to behave over here? :mrgreen:
Makes me go "hmmm..." :mrgreen:
Say whaaaaaaat?
:shock:
It was pretty clear what he said and I certainly think there is some truth to that.
No, there really isn't.
...and he begins w/ a faulty premise.
No, I think it's fair to say that when UWS was pulled and this site was created, there was negative dialogue on here with respect to TSL. That negative dialogue has been present any time TSL is mentioned. This thread is no different.
Oh, I'll grant there is negative dialogue here w/r/t TSL. My initial reaction was to what I consider to be MrGreen's false premise:
the people who don't know how to behave over there are now over here
Since there are plenty of people here, who behave there.

Also the premise that complaint only follows from those who have been booted. Again, a false premise (that the only reason to complain (implied) is if one had been booted).

And finally, his conclusion that this is the better board because people know how to behave over here. I don't think I've heard anyone say that. I don't know that one board is better than the other. Which is better, a screwdriver or a hammer? Well, it depends what you'll use it for. If I want to scan political blowharding while on the phone, I'll come here. If I want to scan QB rants, I'll go there. If I want to see how the Washington Capitals, the latest zombie show, hole-in-box-cutting, mac-buying, and any upcoming european soccer match are going to play out, I'll go there.

I don't think anyone here is claiming that behavior here is superior to any board. Just haven't seen it (other than Major joking about the craziness he sees on some other board he's been to).
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

RiverguyVT wrote: Oh, I'll grant there is negative dialogue here w/r/t TSL. My initial reaction was to what I consider to be MrGreen's false premise:

Also the premise that complaint only follows from those who have been booted. Again, a false premise (that the only reason to complain (implied) is if one had been booted).

And finally, his conclusion that this is the better board because people know how to behave over here. I don't think I've heard anyone say that. I don't know that one board is better than the other. Which is better, a screwdriver or a hammer? Well, it depends what you'll use it for. If I want to scan political blowharding while on the phone, I'll come here. If I want to scan QB rants, I'll go there. If I want to see how the Washington Capitals, the latest zombie show, hole-in-box-cutting, mac-buying, and any upcoming european soccer match are going to play out, I'll go there.

I don't think anyone here is claiming that behavior here is superior to any board. Just haven't seen it (other than Major joking about the craziness he sees on some other board he's been to).
Ah yes, Riverguy... you do seem to make a habit of over-analyzing my sarcastic posts :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I was curious why there was so much vitriol towards TSL. Thanks to all who answered. And now... I will wade a little deeper into the treacherous waters...

As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)

At first, it was probably a win-win for TSL. They could keep the political infighting off the normal boards... yet still get internet clicky credits for the popularity of the UWS board. I suppose at some point, TSL decided it was in their best interests to cut the UWS loose and then BigDave stepped in to keep it going. Seems like a bunch of business decisions to me, which should be good with you folks cuz Will "Built That", right? :mrgreen:

Anyways, there is certainly a noticeable difference in tone between the two boards. To put this board into TSL terms...
1) the majority or RWNJ posters on here are like the VT fans on TSL
2) houtex is like an idiot Hoo flamer on TSL... not the funny kind like Cabel Massie IV... but the annoying, useless kind that comes on every few weeks, flames out and is quickly eliminated.
3) I'm would say I'm like a fan of another fanbase who comes on looking for conversation about both VT and college football in general... and may poke a little fun at the VT fans... but will strike back when attacked :mrgreen:
4) And of course, the little dicked board troll, would be the guy on TSL who gets banned every day but keeps posting from different IP addresses in his pathetic attempt to be heard.

Let's just say TSL is much better off without the likes of #4 :mrgreen:
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: Oh, I'll grant there is negative dialogue here w/r/t TSL. My initial reaction was to what I consider to be MrGreen's false premise:

Ah yes, Riverguy... you do seem to make a habit of over-analyzing my sarcastic posts :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I was curious why there was so much vitriol towards TSL. Thanks to all who answered. And now... I will wade a little deeper into the treacherous waters...

As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)

At first, it was probably a win-win for TSL. They could keep the political infighting off the normal boards... yet still get internet clicky credits for the popularity of the UWS board. I suppose at some point, TSL decided it was in their best interests to cut the UWS loose and then BigDave stepped in to keep it going. Seems like a bunch of business decisions to me, which should be good with you folks cuz Will "Built That", right? :mrgreen:

Anyways, there is certainly a noticeable difference in tone between the two boards. To put this board into TSL terms...
2) houtex is like an idiot Hoo flamer on TSL... not the funny kind like Cabel Massie IV... but the annoying, useless kind that comes on every few weeks, flames out and is quickly eliminated.
3) I'm would say I'm like a fan of another fanbase who comes on looking for conversation about both VT and college football in general... and may poke a little fun at the VT fans... but will strike back when attacked :mrgreen:
4) And of course, the little dicked board troll, would be the guy on TSL who gets banned every day but keeps posting from different IP addresses in his pathetic attempt to be heard.

I don't disagree that it's Will's board. He can take whatever decision he likes. I'm also free to disagree that it was a good idea. I'm also free to say that the pissers and moaners who complained about UWS are the one's I take issue with. I'm of the opinion, that if you don't like a channel, don't watch it. Don't try to get it 'removed from the air'. That, to put it mildly, is acting like a little bitch.

I don't wish Will or TSL bad from a business standpoint. Will is a Hokie and I hope the site succeeds. OTOH, I don't like kowtowing to complainers.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:

Somewhat of a dickish evaluation IMO :mrgreen:
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:

I don't disagree that it's Will's board. He can take whatever decision he likes. I'm also free to disagree that it was a good idea. I'm also free to say that the pissers and moaners who complained about UWS are the one's I take issue with. I'm of the opinion, that if you don't like a channel, don't watch it. Don't try to get it 'removed from the air'. That, to put it mildly, is acting like a little bitch.

I don't wish Will or TSL bad from a business standpoint. Will is a Hokie and I hope the site succeeds. OTOH, I don't like kowtowing to complainers.
Who was whining for UWS to go away? How often did that happen? And to the extent it did, that's what did UWS in?
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

HokieJoe wrote: I don't disagree that it's Will's board. He can take whatever decision he likes. I'm also free to disagree that it was a good idea. I'm also free to say that the pissers and moaners who complained about UWS are the one's I take issue with. I'm of the opinion, that if you don't like a channel, don't watch it. Don't try to get it 'removed from the air'. That, to put it mildly, is acting like a little bitch.

Did people complain about the existence of the UWS board? I do see that when somebody posts something political, other TSL posters will quickly step in and say "take it to the UWS board" or something like that. I don't think it was cut loose because people complained, but I really don't know. Maybe you know something I don't.

I just assumed it was cut loose because TSL did not want to maintain it or be associated with it. Not because they are not RWNJs (actually I have no idea where Will and Chris stand politically, nor do I care)... but because politics is a divisive subject and they probably wanted to keep focus on their mission of VT sports.

You seem to be thinking it was an attempt at censorship? Hey... I hope all you RWNJs fail miserably politically... but I will fight for your right to express yourselves and congregate. I hope this BOARD is a success... so you can continue complaining about all the libs in office :mrgreen:
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote: Ah yes, Riverguy... you do seem to make a habit of over-analyzing my sarcastic posts :mrgreen:

What specifically do you consider "dickish"?
- comparing you guys to normal posters?
- my unprovoked attack on houtex? (oh c'mon... you guys do that all the time!)
- my self serving self evaluation? :mrgreen:
- or, my unpleasant but well deserved remarks about the useless board troll?

Or do you just not like "my kind" posting on your board? :mrgreen:
miles

Post by miles »

"As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)" .....VOR

You recall incorrectly. Your poor understanding of the history of UWS and its formation is understandable in light of your further implication that you enjoy attacking VT fans on TSL and UWS. It also places you as being younger and not on the scene, likely arriving at VT long after the event that inspired the creation of UWS. Did you lie on you ID page in saying VT is your alma mater? No, I think you parsed that very carefully. You attended VT for a time, but did not earn a degree. Maybe the curriculum was too rigorous, or perhaps you were academically incompetent. We do have your admission that you party every chance you get, so I'm thinking that academic and professional accomplishment are not highlighted on your resume.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
HokieJoe wrote: I don't disagree that it's Will's board. He can take whatever decision he likes. I'm also free to disagree that it was a good idea. I'm also free to say that the pissers and moaners who complained about UWS are the one's I take issue with. I'm of the opinion, that if you don't like a channel, don't watch it. Don't try to get it 'removed from the air'. That, to put it mildly, is acting like a little bitch.

Did people complain about the existence of the UWS board? I do see that when somebody posts something political, other TSL posters will quickly step in and say "take it to the UWS board" or something like that. I don't think it was cut loose because people complained, but I really don't know. Maybe you know something I don't.

I just assumed it was cut loose because TSL did not want to maintain it or be associated with it. Not because they are not RWNJs (actually I have no idea where Will and Chris stand politically, nor do I care)... but because politics is a divisive subject and they probably wanted to keep focus on their mission of VT sports.

You seem to be thinking it was an attempt at censorship? Hey... I hope all you RWNJs fail miserably politically... but I will fight for your right to express yourselves and congregate. I hope this BOARD is a success... so you can continue complaining about all the libs in office :mrgreen:
Yeah, my understanding was it was outside their core business and they didn't want to monitor and maintain it
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote: Ah yes, Riverguy... you do seem to make a habit of over-analyzing my sarcastic posts :mrgreen:

MY board? Oh you poor thing!

Oh, and the dickishness had to do with labeling everyone but you a RMNJ. But you? Oh, you're the saintly little guy that just wants to have a conversation, to be cordial, and discuss things like an adult. Please!
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

miles wrote:"As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)" .....VOR

You recall incorrectly. Your poor understanding of the history of UWS and its formation is understandable in light of your further implication that you enjoy attacking VT fans on TSL and UWS. It also places you as being younger and not on the scene, likely arriving at VT long after the event that inspired the creation of UWS. Did you lie on you ID page in saying VT is your alma mater? No, I think you parsed that very carefully. You attended VT for a time, but did not earn a degree. Maybe the curriculum was too rigorous, or perhaps you were academically incompetent. We do have your admission that you party every chance you get, so I'm thinking that academic and professional accomplishment are not highlighted on your resume.
I think he's the yo-yo from around Wilmington
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)
So as not to over-analyze (I.e., call you out on errant notions/synonym).... I stopped right there.
You're wrong.

TSL sprung up in response to 9/11 before some of you were apparently born.

Edit: oh. And Cabell Massie is a great long running parody by a hokie.
Salute the Marines
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:So... why do people on here hate TSL? I thought we were all (mostly?) Hokies?
I have never heard anyone here say they hate TSL. I think some people like me gave you honest feedback, but no one hates it that I know of. I would say most people like it. A few people here are in the pay board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

RiverguyVT wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote: As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)
So as not to over-analyze (I.e., call you out on errant notions/synonym).... I stopped right there.
You're wrong.

Not sure why I couldn't edit this post to remove the extra quote box...
Salute the Marines
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

miles wrote:"As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)" .....VOR

Wow... I hope you are not a forensic scientist because every time you tried to make an assumption about me you whiffed badly. Correcting the record, so you may better understand:

- I never implied I enjoy attacking VT fans on TSL. I made an ANALOGY that on this board I am like a fan of an opposing fan base WOULD BE on TSL (since I do not share the board's conservative slant - see the analogy?). And I made the reference to "attacking when provoked" to head off any ninny that would challenge my statement that I am totally peaceful. I do come in peace on this board, but when attacked personally (which happens frequently since the tolerance for opposing viewpoints is low on this board) I respond back in kind. All of this is an ANALOGY. Just like the ANALOGY that Houtex would be a Hoo flamer. I'm not saying he IS that on TSL... it's an ANALOGY.

In fact, on TSL I post very infrequently and when I do it's generally informational and positive. Not quite a PATT (using their lingo) but I give the coaches and players the benefit of the doubt.

- Younger? I'm younger than Beamer, but older than Will. You whiffed badly on this, likely because you misunderstood my analogy.

- Not on the scene? I was in on HokieCentral in 1996, not long after it first got up and running. I love the site.

- VT is my alma mater and I graduated in four years. I have advanced degrees and professional certifications as well. Sorry to burst your bubble.

- Party? Umm... it's a joke response dude... but I do follow the motto of "Work Hard, Play Hard". Yes, I do like to have fun. Lighten up, Francis :mrgreen:
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Oh, and the dickishness had to do with labeling everyone but you a RMNJ. But you? Oh, you're the saintly little guy that just wants to have a conversation, to be cordial, and discuss things like an adult. Please!
I'm not a RWNJ... because I'm not Right Wing or Republican. Duh! And it was an analogy, so lighten up. And yes, I would like to have intelligent conversations with people of different viewpoints on here... but the tolerance for that is low and the general assumption by many on here is that if you are progressive, you must be naive or stupid or LIV. Hard to have a civil conversation when that is the starting point. (Not to mention that on the few occasions that civil discourse gets started, it's interrupted by idiot spam from the board troll who posts every 30 seconds with tin foil hat "facts" and personal insults.)

So yeah... I do come in peace. Want proof? Come at me with respect next time and we can have a nice respectful conversation :mrgreen:
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

RiverguyVT wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: As I recall it... the UWS Board on TSL sprung up because Will (or someone over there) got tired of the VT sports boards being polluted with political in-fighting between Hokies. But he also recognized an untapped need - a board where RWNJs could make themselves at home and wallow in their own delusions about the world as if their perceptions were reality :mrgreen: (Sorry, could not resist!)
You're wrong.

I'm asking the question about UWS, thanks for the clarification. I do recall it sprang up after 9/11... but I also think it served a purpose to get the political talk off TSL. And lo and behold... UWS filled a great need for conservatives to congregate. Do you disagree with that?

Yes, I am quite familiar with how Cabell works. His posts are hilarious usually.

Finally, why do you assume that because I ask question about a board that I'm not a member of sprang up... that I'm "too young" to remember? Could it be that I'm not a right wing Kool aid drinking, so I didn't really care at the time? :mrgreen:
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
You're wrong.

I'm asking the question about UWS, thanks for the clarification. I do recall it sprang up after 9/11... but I also think it served a purpose to get the political talk off TSL. And lo and behold... UWS filled a great need for conservatives to congregate. Do you disagree with that?

Yes, I am quite familiar with how Cabell works. His posts are hilarious usually.

Finally, why do you assume that because I ask question about a board that I'm not a member of sprang up... that I'm "too young" to remember? Could it be that I'm not a right wing Kool aid drinking, so I didn't really care at the time? :mrgreen:
You're as legit as CapitalOneHokie and his girlfriend Taylor
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I'm not a RWNJ... because I'm not Right Wing or Republican. Duh! And it was an analogy, so lighten up. And yes, I would like to have intelligent conversations with people of different viewpoints on here... but the tolerance for that is low and the general assumption by many on here is that if you are progressive, you must be naive or stupid or LIV. Hard to have a civil conversation when that is the starting point. (Not to mention that on the few occasions that civil discourse gets started, it's interrupted by idiot spam from the board troll who posts every 30 seconds with tin foil hat "facts" and personal insults.)

So yeah... I do come in peace. Want proof? Come at me with respect next time and we can have a nice respectful conversation :mrgreen:
I've always conversed with you with respect, until this post. I recognize different ideas and POVs.
Baltimore Hokie
Party: Ind.

Post by Baltimore Hokie »

No one has been around TSL longer than I have. And I've observed the core debate over nearly 20 years. I think it really came to a head this season, as it became clear Frank was going to be replaced.

It's really hard to characterize TSL poster attitudes along a line. Maybe I could do it in a quad chart or a 3-D chart. But anyway, over the past three years one of the clear factors that divided TSL was 'loyalty.' I don't think the loyalty thing was much of an issue when we had 10 win seasons. Back then the debate was far more civil. Can Beamer get us back to the NC? Can he improve recruiting? Because we could assume the 10 wins were a given. It was hard to assume otherwise after the 2008 season - it was like we were protected by mystical powers beyond our comprehension.

So when 2012 smacked us upside the head, the tenor of the debate changed. Those who felt Frank needed to make changes during the 10 win seasons now had all the ammo they needed, and then, not surprisingly, Stiney gets replaced. Now the debate got darker. Is Frank past his prime? Can he make the needed changes? Loyalty started to drive the debate. The split was between those who felt Frank deserved complete deference to those who felt he simply was incapable of making the right decisions.

Flash forward to 2015, after two seasons of continued malaise. After the ECU loss, when Chris and Will began to hint 2015 was the twilight of Frank's career, the loyalty debate kicked into overdrive. As in - now even Will and Chris were being disloyal by suggesting Frank was leaving. But reality has a way of sorting these things out in the end. After Frank announced his retirement the loyalty issue went out the window and everyone gleefully engaged with the coaching search, which gave us tons more to debate (I was a Mark Herman-ite).

What I find amusing is that some of the most ardent pro-Frank and Stiney crowd essentially checked out when Stiney was replaced. And now they've re-emerged as ardent Fuente supporters! Perhaps they have a new status quo to rally around.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Found some existing uws logos

Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

This might be better, although it is loungish

HokieHighlander

Post by HokieHighlander »

I actually enjoyed the UWS in TSL. While the board leaned right, I thought there was good debate over there. I still read this board about once every 3 months just to check in and see how everything is going. This is my first post in a long time. Back to lurking...
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHighlander wrote:I actually enjoyed the UWS in TSL. While the board leaned right, I thought there was good debate over there. I still read this board about once every 3 months just to check in and see how everything is going. This is my first post in a long time. Back to lurking...

So did I.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieHighlander wrote:I actually enjoyed the UWS in TSL. While the board leaned right, I thought there was good debate over there. I still read this board about once every 3 months just to check in and see how everything is going. This is my first post in a long time. Back to lurking...

So did I.
So... is it different today than it was when it was hosted by TSL? If so, how and why is it different? I'm curious.