Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Pete Rose is still banned

Post by awesome guy »

http://fanbuzz.rare.us/story/and-their- ... l-of-fame/

If Joe Paterno has his wins back then I don't see how sports can keep Pete Rose out. Maybe they're just waiting for him to die. And yeah, I'm not calling for a law or executive order to get Pete Rose into the hall of fame, just sick of the double standard. There are a lot shadier characters out there that kept their glory. Ray Lewis murdered someone and still got to play. Rose must have slept with the commissioner's wife too, the hate is total against him.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Pete Rose is still banned

Post by BigDave »

"And their goes"

Oh good grief
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:http://fanbuzz.rare.us/story/and-their- ... l-of-fame/

If Joe Paterno has his wins back then I don't see how sports can keep Pete Rose out. Maybe they're just waiting for him to die. And yeah, I'm not calling for a law or executive order to get Pete Rose into the hall of fame, just sick of the double standard. There are a lot shadier characters out there that kept their glory. Ray Lewis murdered someone and still got to play. Rose must have slept with the commissioner's wife too, the hate is total against him.
What kind of purview does the MLB commissioner have over Joe Paterno and Ray Lewis?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:

What kind of purview does the MLB commissioner have over Joe Paterno and Ray Lewis?
none, but it sets a standard for sports I'd expect the rest of the sporting community to follow. Even in baseball, the people cheating on steroids still have their hits and titles. Taking PEDs had a lot more effect on the game than betting for your team.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

The Hall of Fame is not controlled by MLB, but by the BBWA. While the writers generally back league policy in their voting, it's not impossible for Rose to be inducted while still banned from MLB.

I hope the writers see that and let him in. Humans are able to compartmentalize quite effectively. We can celebrate achievement while also acknowledging personal failings.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Good. Pete Rose compromised the integrity of baseball. He should be banned.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
miles

Post by miles »

Meh...
Last I noticed, Shoeless Joe Jackson was still banned.
That's a precedent.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:Good. Pete Rose compromised the integrity of baseball. He should be banned.

While playing, did he ever bet against the Reds?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Do you think it's different if he only bet on the Reds to win certain days as a manager? You do realize he could manipulate his pitchers, namely his relievers and closers on days he bets for his team. Isn't that the edge he would be looking for? It's still gambling on baseball when he knew not to.
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Good. Pete Rose compromised the integrity of baseball. He should be banned.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:

Nope. Nolan's point still stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:

My understanding is "No", however he did bet for them.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:

I don't know, but there are still a multitude of problems even if he only bet on the Reds while playing. For example, he would need to bet equally on the Reds every single game. Otherwise, that would send a signal to his "gambling network" that the Reds may not be in the best position to win that day (using his inside knowledge) either through injuries, knowledge of the lineup to be played, or worse...

As a manager, forget it. He could control the lineup and pitching to tailor to his betting patterns, which should absolutely not be tolerated. He should be banned for life.

CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Did he ever bet against his team? I can't remember. That to me would deserve a lifetime ban. I'm not so sure that betting on your team is the worst offense. Betting on other games is not that bad. I'm not saying you should do it, but a lifetime ban is harsh.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Did he ever bet against his team? I can't remember. That to me would deserve a lifetime ban. I'm not so sure that betting on your team is the worst offense. Betting on other games is not that bad. I'm not saying you should do it, but a lifetime ban is harsh.
Not harsh at all. See my post prior to this one.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
If they ever found that Pete Rose had bet against his team, he would be in jail.

As someone noted above, if he only bet certain games, then that affects the integrity of the sport. He could overuse his bullpen in those games, for example, when he normally wouldn't.

And you have to recognize that the Chicago Black sox almost ended the game of baseball. It's understandable why baseball would react more harshly than other sports would.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Rose voluntarily accepted the ban from Giamatti...he doesn't need to be in the HoF until a very large wing of disgraced players is dedicated.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Do you think it's different if he only bet on the Reds to win certain days as a manager? You do realize he could manipulate his pitchers, namely his relievers and closers on days he bets for his team. Isn't that the edge he would be looking for? It's still gambling on baseball when he knew not to.
HokieJoe wrote:

No disagreement on whether or not he knew the ramifications. My point is, on its face, this doesn't rise to the level of the Chi-Sox scandal. In terms of harm to his team and the league it's not even close to PED scandal, and yet... He bet on his team to win, not lose. Thus he didn't change anything in terms W'so or L's unless he was over-rotating his pitchers; or playing people while injured.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

I don't know, but there are still a multitude of problems even if he only bet on the Reds while playing. For example, he would need to bet equally on the Reds every single game. Otherwise, that would send a signal to his "gambling network" that the Reds may not be in the best position to win that day (using his inside knowledge) either through injuries, knowledge of the lineup to be played, or worse...

As a manager, forget it. He could control the lineup and pitching to tailor to his betting patterns, which should absolutely not be tolerated. He should be banned for life.

If he bet anonymously with an agent, his gambling network wouldn't be involved.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

I'm a little shocked to see you take such a legalistic view of this ip.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

There's no such thing as betting anonymously when you're Pete Rose.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

I'm not sure you're in a position know that for certain.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Seriously? He was betting big $$$'s through a highly connected bookie. His betting wasn't anonymous.
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

I'm not sure you're in a position know that for certain.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Seriously? He was betting big $$$'s through a highly connected bookie. His betting wasn't anonymous.

Ehh, you got me. I was just taking the piss out of you guys. I'm a big Charlie Hustle fan, but I agree that no one should be betting on baseball. I do agree with AG however that the PED scandal is bigger in terms of it's effect on baseball. Post McGuire/Sosa/Bonds, the MLB's HR stats are meaningless.

I personally don't have a problem with players juicing. They're grown men, let them do as they wish. However, letting Bonds/Sosa/McGuire's records stand without an asterisk is highly inconsistent on the part of the MLB. It smells of politics. That's not to say that Bonds, Sosa and McGuire weren't great players. Bonds especially. BUT, the lack of consistency from the MLB is glaring here IMO.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

I'm a little shocked to see you take such a legalistic view of this ip.
I don't view barring a guy who continuously lied about his betting on baseball, who then revealed that he was lying in a book for profit, and who then holds a press conference in a Las Vegas bar he owns on a 'King of Baseball' throne, as legalistic.

That said, I did enjoy in Game 4 when Pete forgot he was doing a post-game show and devoted 100% his attention to the heckling Mets fans.