Happy Federal Holiday

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Happy Federal Holiday

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

People are paying tens of thousands of dollars a year to listen and learn from people like this. This is lunacy. I prefer "Happy Festivus" and if that offends you, tough titty. And now its time for the airing of grievances.

===============================

This Week in PC Run Amok: School Professor Calls on Students to Say ‘Happy Federal Holiday’
by J.D. Durkin | 11:36 am, December 23rd, 2015

A professor for political science at the University of Central Florida recently wrote an opinion piece for UCFToday calling for students to begin wishing one another a “Happy Federal Holiday” salutation instead of others that may be too selective and inclusive.

Terri Susan Fine wrote in “A Holiday Greeting That Applies to Everyone” that, “In our efforts to be inclusive, we show cultural insensitivity both by equating one major holiday with a minor holiday and failing to recognize that diversity includes those who celebrate neither holiday.” She notes that the typical greetings of “Merry Christmas” “Happy Chanukah” and even “Happy Holidays” only “cover most of the bases”. Her solution?
I would suggest that we take a new approach that observes “the holidays” we all have on our calendars, no matter our religion. My friends and I wish each other a “Happy Federal Holiday.”
Fine argues that the distinction of wishing someone well during this time of year is not limiting if it’s done through the officially federal recognized point of view. She continues, “As long as we live in the United States, these federal and state holidays impact us equally so we might as well celebrate them equally, too.”

Fine ultimately says that we can use this opportunity to get to know one another through this change of holiday rhetoric — “about each other’s religious and cultural beliefs and practices because we will not treat people as if we already know what those beliefs and practices are,” she writes — so that we are not “culturally insensitive”. Another benefit of the proposed changed in language? According to Fine, we can use it all year long, and not just during the holidays end-of-year Federal holidays.

As for the existing model of social norm, the one where people don’t say “Happy Federal Holiday”, Fine simply writes, “[t]here is so much wrong with this picture.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/this-wee ... l-holiday/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Happy Federal Holiday

Post by nolanvt »

Happy Bowl Season
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Attila T Hun

Re: Happy Federal Holiday

Post by Attila T Hun »

Hey, why not say "Happy federal holiday" while extending an outstretched arm like the Germans used to do....looks like that would be apropro for this crowd.