So Trump is ducking Meghan Kelly....

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
TheH2

Re: So Trump is ducking Meghan Kelly....

Post by TheH2 »

VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:He becomes Ross Perot, and like Perot, gives us a Clinton in the WH.
Why people perpetuate this myth is beyond me...
Do you believe Perot pulled equally from the Clinton and Bush vote camps? I do not.
Even if he didn't, it doesn't mean he cost him the election.
Many factors contribute to a lost election. It's hard to argue that Perot running didn't contribute negatively to Bush's chances.
Given the data, it's even harder to argue that he cost him the election. I really haven't seen anything not based on feelings that would lead me to believe otherwise. For what it's worth, people with feelings thought Mitt Romney had a chance, people with data did not (or a very small chance). This is a perfect example of having at the very least decent information to draw a conclusion.
People who know, know.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:He becomes Ross Perot, and like Perot, gives us a Clinton in the WH.
Do you believe Perot pulled equally from the Clinton and Bush vote camps? I do not.
Many factors contribute to a lost election. It's hard to argue that Perot running didn't contribute negatively to Bush's chances.
Given the data, it's even harder to argue that he cost him the election. I really haven't seen anything not based on feelings that would lead me to believe otherwise. For what it's worth, people with feelings thought Mitt Romney had a chance, people with data did not (or a very small chance). This is a perfect example of having at the very least decent information to draw a conclusion.

Solid piece you linked. Interesting. Their results indicate that Perot siphoned off Bush & Clinton equally (was it 38%?). I find that hard to believe, but that's just opinion on my part, not something I can back up. Two thumbs up.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
I didn't say Perot 'cost' him the election. It affected Bush's chances negatively, however. Your article concludes similarly:

"Absent Perot in the final month, the Bush campaign likely would have made some progress in closing the enormous gap he faced, but in the end he would have lost, and handily."

Perot contributed negatively to Bush's chances. However, I will buy the analysis in your link that even without Perot, Bush would have lost.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
I didn't say Perot 'cost' him the election. It affected Bush's chances negatively, however. Your article concludes similarly:

"Absent Perot in the final month, the Bush campaign likely would have made some progress in closing the enormous gap he faced, but in the end he would have lost, and handily."

Perot contributed negatively to Bush's chances. However, I will buy the analysis in your link that even without Perot, Bush would have lost.
I just don't like the notion that Perot cost him the election because it just doesn't appear that way. That was the initial assertion. There were a lot of factors that contributed to his loss.
RiverguyVT wrote: Solid piece you linked. Interesting. Their results indicate that Perot siphoned off Bush & Clinton equally (was it 38%?). I find that hard to believe, but that's just opinion on my part, not something I can back up. Two thumbs up.
Yeah, I thought it was very interesting. It is exit polling so it obviously has flaws, but it shows how much different the results would need to be in order to swing the election.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

I just don't like the notion that Perot cost him the election because it just doesn't appear that way. That was the initial assertion. There were a lot of factors that contributed to his loss.
RiverguyVT wrote: Solid piece you linked. Interesting. Their results indicate that Perot siphoned off Bush & Clinton equally (was it 38%?). I find that hard to believe, but that's just opinion on my part, not something I can back up. Two thumbs up.
Yeah, I thought it was very interesting. It is exit polling so it obviously has flaws, but it shows how much different the results would need to be in order to swing the election.
Y
That's a specious argument too as exit polls follow months of Pero pushing those voters away from Bush on domestic issues. None of that happens if Pero isn't there. And Clinton couldn't attack from that side as he was proposing an expansion of government. Even having Stockton in the VP debates may Gore look saine in comparison.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote: Many factors contribute to a lost election. It's hard to argue that Perot running didn't contribute negatively to Bush's chances.

Y
That's a specious argument too as exit polls follow months of Pero pushing those voters away from Bush on domestic issues. None of that happens if Pero isn't there. And Clinton couldn't attack from that side as he was proposing an expansion of government. Even having Stockton in the VP debates may Gore look saine in comparison.
Qualitatively, how do you explain Clinton's biggest lead coinciding with Perot leaving the race and the lead narrowing when he returned?

Aside: Given that you are spelling Perot without the ("t") I'm wondering how old you actually are. Seems like a millennial error to me. I'm kidding, you have back problems, you have to be old :) Hope that's getting better by the way.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
VisorBoy wrote: Given the data, it's even harder to argue that he cost him the election. I really haven't seen anything not based on feelings that would lead me to believe otherwise. For what it's worth, people with feelings thought Mitt Romney had a chance, people with data did not (or a very small chance). This is a perfect example of having at the very least decent information to draw a conclusion.

Y
Qualitatively, how do you explain Clinton's biggest lead coinciding with Perot leaving the race and the lead narrowing when he returned?

Aside: Given that you are spelling Perot without the ("t") I'm wondering how old you actually are. Seems like a millennial error to me. I'm kidding, you have back problems, you have to be old :) Hope that's getting better by the way.
Perot had already done the damage at that point. He was great at souring republicans on Bush.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.