$150 BILLION to Iran

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech

$150 BILLION to Iran

Post by hokie »

Can anyone on this board justify giving Iran $150 BILLION?
HokieFanDC

Re: $150 BILLION to Iran

Post by HokieFanDC »

hokie wrote:Can anyone on this board justify giving Iran $150 BILLION?
What do you mean by giving?
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Do you disagree with freezing foreign assets of our enemies?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
No. But, as part of negotiations, unfreezing them, is not "giving'. A large portion of that is coming from assets frozen by European countries, and they were going to unfreeze them regardless of whether the US did, or not.
Also, another huge chunk of that money will go to China to pay off debt they've accumulated since their assets were frozen.

Simply put, we are not giving them money. You can disagree with unfreezing, but calling it giving is done to make people upset, who don't understand what is really happening.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
No. But, as part of negotiations, unfreezing them, is not "giving'. A large portion of that is coming from assets frozen by European countries, and they were going to unfreeze them regardless of whether the US did, or not.
Also, another huge chunk of that money will go to China to pay off debt they've accumulated since their assets were frozen.

Simply put, we are not giving them money. You can disagree with unfreezing, but calling it giving is done to make people upset, who don't understand what is really happening.
We are giving it back. I didn't need your regurgitation of Politifact - just pointing out that you're playing word games. By the way - they're using the money to buy arms, not pay off debts (but yes, it will come from China).
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

"Part of negotiations" would imply that we got something in the deal. Other than green lighting our own nuclear destruction, what else did we get in the deal?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

We are giving it back. I didn't need your regurgitation of Politifact - just pointing out that you're playing word games. By the way - they're using the money to buy arms, not pay off debts (but yes, it will come from China).
I'm sure if you're bank froze your accounts for 30 years, and then unfroze them, you'd say they were giving back your money. Whether frozen or not, the assets always belonged to Iran.

And of course Iran is going to use some money on arms. So what?
The whole purpose of levying sanctions was to use it as the main lever in negotiations. A deal wasn't going to be done, ever, without unfreezing their assets.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I'm sure if you're bank froze your accounts for 30 years, and then unfroze them, you'd say they were giving back your money. Whether frozen or not, the assets always belonged to Iran.

The whole purpose of levying sanctions was to use it as the main lever in negotiations. A deal wasn't going to be done, ever, without unfreezing their assets.
Who said we needed a deal with Iran? Airbus? The Obama Legacy Tour?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Pretty much every foreign policy and national security person in the Western Hemisphere, since 2002??
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Pretty much every foreign policy and national security person in the Western Hemisphere, since 2002??
They said we needed the deal Obama agreed to?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

That's a different question, but there are parts of the deal that lots of people like, and parts that people don't like. But overwhelmingly people agree that we needed to have a deal. There's a reason we've tried to negotiate a deal several times in the last 15 years or so.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I keep hearing "deal". Still have no idea what benefitted the US in the "deal"
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: We are giving it back. I didn't need your regurgitation of Politifact - just pointing out that you're playing word games. By the way - they're using the money to buy arms, not pay off debts (but yes, it will come from China).

That's a different question, but there are parts of the deal that lots of people like, and parts that people don't like. But overwhelmingly people agree that we needed to have a deal. There's a reason we've tried to negotiate a deal several times in the last 15 years or so.
Which parts does anyone like?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:I keep hearing "deal". Still have no idea what benefitted the US in the "deal"
Here are two examples, from sources general not friendly to Obama. There are literally thousands more, if you care to look.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commen ... ar-success

https://www.armscontrol.org/pressroom/p ... liferation
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

You're doing a good job of pointing out how silly your original quip was.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

The Iran deal was a good step in slowly thawing the relationship.

That doesn't mean we're buddy-buddy with them. And it doesn't mean that now Iran will nuke us. Those are extremist conclusions.

But the Kerry intervention in calming the sailor-capture occurrence is a clear example of how our thawing relationship has the potential to be a benefit to the US.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.