Didn't know gluten-free MREs pissed off so many #Patriots

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Didn't know gluten-free MREs pissed off so many #Patriots

Post by nolanvt »

"That's why the last thing any commander should need to worry about is the grades he is getting from some plush-bottomed Pentagon bureaucrat for political correctness or social experiments -- or providing gluten-free MREs," Cruz said, using the shorthand term for Meal, Ready-to-Eat.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/16/polit ... index.html
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Didn't know gluten-free MREs pissed off so many #Patriot

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
"That's why the last thing any commander should need to worry about is the grades he is getting from some plush-bottomed Pentagon bureaucrat for political correctness or social experiments -- or providing gluten-free MREs," Cruz said, using the shorthand term for Meal, Ready-to-Eat.
What he said truly puzzles you?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

nolanvt wrote:
Maybe Cruz is unfamiliar with Celiac's Disease? Or perhaps this is Cruz's vision for America: Gluten for Celiac's, Milk for Lactose Intolerant, Bacon for Jews and Muslims. All as God intended :mrgreen:
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

If someone needs a gluten-free diet they have no business being in the military.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:
Would the larger, more obvious, take-away from that be social experimentation?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

USN_Hokie wrote:If someone needs a gluten-free diet they have no business being in the military.
Seriously? So... if we ever have a draft again, then dietary restrictions are an exemption? What about Lactose Intolerant? Or religious freedom (Kosher meals for Jews & Muslims)?
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:If someone needs a gluten-free diet they have no business being in the military.

That's my perspective as well.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Seriously? So... if we ever have a draft again, then dietary restrictions are an exemption? What about Lactose Intolerant? Or religious freedom (Kosher meals for Jews & Muslims)?
Uh...yeah. Folks were disqualified for high blood pressure, acne, etc. The irony is that the last time we had a draft, nobody had this (mostly) BS affliction.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

USN_Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Uh...yeah. Folks were disqualified for high blood pressure, acne, etc. The irony is that the last time we had a draft, nobody had this (mostly) BS affliction.
Not arguing USN... just asking. If the military chooses to limit participation with legitimate cause, I'm fine with that.

However, Celiac's Disease is not a BS affliction. I know a few folks who have it. It's not made up... it's a complete PITA for people who have to restrict their diet that way.

True, it is a recent diagnosis. No idea if it's a new thing that has arisen from our changing environment and food supply? Or if it always existed and people just lived in misery?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Why is it political correctness to have gluten free meals for people who eat them? It's not like having gluten free options is difficult, they are readily available. This is just Ted Cruz making something out of nothing.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Not arguing USN... just asking. If the military chooses to limit participation with legitimate cause, I'm fine with that.

However, Celiac's Disease is not a BS affliction. I know a few folks who have it. It's not made up... it's a complete PITA for people who have to restrict their diet that way.

True, it is a recent diagnosis. No idea if it's a new thing that has arisen from our changing environment and food supply? Or if it always existed and people just lived in misery?
Or it could be a new thing from being able to diagnose it...you know, because medicine advances. That's why we also have vaccines for things like measles, mumps, polio, etc. I'm pretty sure most people know someone with Celiac. The worst case I saw was a kid who had it at birth, and didn't gain weight or have a solid poop until he was diagnosed with it at 5 years old.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Why is it political correctness to have gluten free meals for people who eat them? It's not like having gluten free options is difficult, they are readily available. This is just Ted Cruz making something out of nothing.
Accepting people who have diets so delicate that they can't eat bread have no business being in the military. Arguing that the military should accommodate these people is political correctness. This isn't hard.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Celiac is no BS... I know several who have it, some more severely than others.
Still. I could definitely see that as an impediment to service, should the draft ever be reinstated. Especially if flat feet are!
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:

Of course celiac disease isn't BS. But the gluten free diet fas that is all the rage is. And it is multiples of that which really need it.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:However, Celiac's Disease is not a BS affliction. I know a few folks who have it. It's not made up... it's a complete PITA for people who have to restrict their diet that way.

Celiac Disease is real. Prior to the 20th century, you just had the symptoms and didn't know the cause (or, I suppose, you died).

Eating a grain-free diet (which is necessarily gluten free) is a good method of weight loss and is a very good idea if you are diabetic.

Eating a gluten-free diet because you want to be at one with the universe or some similar hippie nonsense is completely unrelated to the above two.

That said, I don't know that people with very special dietary needs really should be in combat.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:Of course celiac disease isn't BS. But the gluten free diet fas that is all the rage is. And it is multiples of that which really need it.
Correct. It's a real disease (a recent one, probably do to the shirt we eat), but probably 90% of the people who buy gluten free garbage got the squirts after eating dinner one night and have self-diagnosed themselves.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

He wasn't only addressing gluten-free meals though. I do, however, still agree with USN on gluten-free.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:However, Celiac's Disease is not a BS affliction. I know a few folks who have it. It's not made up... it's a complete PITA for people who have to restrict their diet that way.

Celiac Disease is real. Prior to the 20th century, you just had the symptoms and didn't know the cause (or, I suppose, you died).

Eating a grain-free diet (which is necessarily gluten free) is a good method of weight loss and is a very good idea if you are diabetic.

Eating a gluten-free diet because you want to be at one with the universe or some similar hippie nonsense is completely unrelated to the above two.

That said, I don't know that people with very special dietary needs really should be in combat.
The question is how big of a deal is it to provide meals. My mom has been gluten free for 25+ years, and while it was a pain 25 years ago, it isn't a big deal at all now. Also, for non combat positions, I don't see the huge issue. Bottom line, neither I nor Cruz are qualified to make a judgment call on that, and to go against what people in the military have decided to do.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

BigDave wrote:

I think "combat" is the operative word here. If you're a desk jockey, I'm not sure I'd consider it as big of an issue.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:

The question is how big of a deal is it to provide meals. My mom has been gluten free for 25+ years, and while it was a pain 25 years ago, it isn't a big deal at all now. Also, for non combat positions, I don't see the huge issue. Bottom line, neither I nor Cruz are qualified to make a judgment call on that, and to go against what people in the military have decided to do.
People in non-combat positions don't eat MREs.
absolutvt03
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Just out of curiosity, do any MREs contain nuts?
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

absolutvt03 wrote:Just out of curiosity, do any MREs contain nuts?
Absolutely.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Given that it's Ted Cruz, it shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
LOL

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:

My Aunt, Great Aunt, and cousin have been formally diagnosed with this made up affliction. My Great Aunt was on her "death bed" at the time in the 70s (down to 90 lbs) until they were able to diagnose her.