Former CIA and NSA Director on Clinton Email

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ieatbacon

Former CIA and NSA Director on Clinton Email

Post by ieatbacon »

I would lose respect. I would lose all respect for scores of intelligence services around the world if they did not have all the access they wanted to that server.
and
If I were still at NSA, and someone came to me and said we just discovered that the Russian foreign minister has a foreign server. Now it’s just unclassified email on it, but we think we can get into it. Believe me, we’d have been after that in a heartbeat. I suspect a bunch of others have done the same.
IMO, the current conversation is too focused on a few classified emails and whether or not Clinton can be charged criminally. I guess that's important to the presidential race, but the bigger picture is what a foreign government (or more likely, several foreign govt) can do with full access to every unclassified email sent and received by the SoS. There's enormous value in those emails and Clinton (and her staff) choose her personal convenience over protecting sensitive information. I wonder what deals/negotiations during her tenure were impacted by her personal server? We'll never know since her personal server wasn't monitored or protected the way a government (or corporate) server would be...

Full Transcript. Lots of other good takes from Gen Hayden on Apple, the OPM hack, and other issues.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Former CIA and NSA Director on Clinton Email

Post by awesome guy »

they're not unclassified emails though. What she was sending turned this up a whole other level. It's not like she exposed kitty pictures sent to her grand kids, she exposed some of our most sensitive information.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

awesome guy wrote:they're not unclassified emails though. What she was sending turned this up a whole other level. It's not like she exposed kitty pictures sent to her grand kids, she exposed some of our most sensitive information.
My point being, even if she didn't send classified emails, this still should've been a huge issue. Compromise of unclassified, but sensitive, information - especially what you'd expect to go through the SoS email - can be very damaging. I don't think the general public has thought through how accessible the information was to foreign intelligence and how valuable it is... In short, unclassified is very different than publicly releasable.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:they're not unclassified emails though. What she was sending turned this up a whole other level. It's not like she exposed kitty pictures sent to her grand kids, she exposed some of our most sensitive information.
My point being, even if she didn't send classified emails, this still should've been a huge issue. Compromise of unclassified, but sensitive, information - especially what you'd expect to go through the SoS email - can be very damaging. I don't think the general public has thought through how accessible the information was to foreign intelligence and how valuable it is... In short, unclassified is very different than publicly releasable.
Agree, that's certainly true. Just what she's thinking about is something that can be exploited.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.