nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Illinois legislators tackling the important issues

Post by nolanvt »

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
HokieFanDC

Re: Illinois legislators tackling the important issues

Post by HokieFanDC »

Meh, typical big govt loving social conservatives.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Duh it's just the Maury Povich amendment.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Uhh, do either one of you realize why this is necessary? Expectant mother or already mother goes into her friendly local welfare office and applies for welfare benefits. She doesn't name a father on the birth certificate, so she is sent over to the Child Support office so they can begin the process of determining who the father is. She either lies, or refuses to provide the information. Usually she just lies so the welfare office won't cut off her benefits. Either way, the child is legally fatherless. So, who is to pay for the services she receives on behalf of the child in this instance?

Tax payers, that's who.
Resident, Dipshit, Race-baiting, Click-bait Columnist at the Chicagoist wrote:“Provides that if the unmarried mother cannot or refuses to name the child's father, either a father must be conclusively established by DNA evidence or, within 30 days after birth, another family member who will financially provide for the child must be named, in court, on the birth certificate. Provides that absent DNA evidence or a family member's name, a birth certificate will not be issued and the mother will be ineligible for financial aid from the State for support of the child.”
The point of putting a family member on the birth certificate is to make someone financially culpable for the benefits received. This has nothing to do with 'big government conservatives'. It has everything to do with making people responsible for their actions.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Correct

Maybe I'm slow - what's the social aspect here?

That article is ridiculous.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I thought this was already the law everywhere. I'd be stunned if it's not the law in Virginia.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

BigDave wrote:I thought this was already the law everywhere. I'd be stunned if it's not the law in Virginia.
I believe in Virginia the order of Paternity comes thru the courts or the Maury Povich Show.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Major Kong wrote:
BigDave wrote:I thought this was already the law everywhere. I'd be stunned if it's not the law in Virginia.
I believe in Virginia the order of Paternity comes thru the courts or the Maury Povich Show.

Most states require court adjudication of paternity as far I'm aware (which in most cases relies on dna testing).
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

HokieJoe wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Most states require court adjudication of paternity as far I'm aware (which in most cases relies on dna testing).
I found this form from Virginia: http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/divis ... 30-eng.pdf

On page six, it says, "You must identify both parents in order to receive TANF."

The reason for it is obvious - you want to know who the non-custodial parent is because they should be on the hook for child support before taxpayer $$$ are used.

If you say Bob is the father and Bob says he's not the father, then you adjudicate it ... but you have to at least declare who you think it is in order to get government aid. That's just plain common sense.

Only in a liberal mecca where government is the primary caregiver - not parents - does it make sense to not care who the father is when applying for benefits.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

I found this form from Virginia: http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/divis ... 30-eng.pdf

On page six, it says, "You must identify both parents in order to receive TANF."

The reason for it is obvious - you want to know who the non-custodial parent is because they should be on the hook for child support before taxpayer $$$ are used.

If you say Bob is the father and Bob says he's not the father, then you adjudicate it ... but you have to at least declare who you think it is in order to get government aid. That's just plain common sense.

Only in a liberal mecca where government is the primary caregiver - not parents - does it make sense to not care who the father is when applying for benefits.

It makes sense, to avoid welfare fraud, and to attempt to have someone take responsibility, but the child is really the one getting hurt here.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Correct

Maybe I'm slow - what's the social aspect here?

That article is ridiculous.
It's a hot take, man. Enjoy it!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieJoe wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Virginia has voluntary adjudication if both parties agree...also the fact of being married is considered as establishing parenthood unless the parties disagree.

My nephew was involved in a nasty paternity situation in Bristol, VA back in 2013 between him and his ex wife. Long story short he was not the father and everybody knew it unless his penis was 3000 miles long (Afghanistan to Germany).

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Virginia has voluntary adjudication if both parties agree...also the fact of being married is considered as establishing parenthood unless the parties disagree.

My nephew was involved in a nasty paternity situation in Bristol, VA back in 2013 between him and his ex wife. Long story short he was not the father and everybody knew it unless his penis was 3000 miles long (Afghanistan to Germany).
Correct. If, both parties agree. If the child is born during the marriage, the husband is considered the legal father. If paternity were to become an issue, the court would have to order a paternity test.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

HokieFanDC wrote:It makes sense, to avoid welfare fraud, and to attempt to have someone take responsibility, but the child is really the one getting hurt here.
What does that even mean?

If the mother doesn't fill out the form, then the child is the one who doesn't get fed. Should we dispense with forms all together?

If the mother doesn't go to the grocery store, the child is the one who doesn't get fed. Should we dispense with grocery stores and just have the government bring food straight to your house?

It's not an onerous requirement to say that you have to fill out a form saying who the father is in order to get aid.

I assume that by the time the final bill comes out, they will amend the language a bit to allow for the possibility that a mother may really have no idea who the father is (i.e., she conceived the child while having anonymous sex with strangers at an orgy or some such thing and has no way to track the sperm donor). But for the 99.999% of pregnancies in Illinois that were not the result of mass orgies, the mother ought to have to say who the father is.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

It makes sense, to avoid welfare fraud, and to attempt to have someone take responsibility, but the child is really the one getting hurt here.

The child is hurt by not knowing who it's real father is. The child is also hurt if the woman goes off of welfare and there is no one to pay child support.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:It makes sense, to avoid welfare fraud, and to attempt to have someone take responsibility, but the child is really the one getting hurt here.
What does that even mean?

If the mother doesn't fill out the form, then the child is the one who doesn't get fed. Should we dispense with forms all together?

If the mother doesn't go to the grocery store, the child is the one who doesn't get fed. Should we dispense with grocery stores and just have the government bring food straight to your house?

It's not an onerous requirement to say that you have to fill out a form saying who the father is in order to get aid.

I assume that by the time the final bill comes out, they will amend the language a bit to allow for the possibility that a mother may really have no idea who the father is (i.e., she conceived the child while having anonymous sex with strangers at an orgy or some such thing and has no way to track the sperm donor). But for the 99.999% of pregnancies in Illinois that were not the result of mass orgies, the mother ought to have to say who the father is.
It means that there a lot of kids born with fathers who won't do anything to support them. You're making way too big of a deal over a snarky comment. I don't really care one way or the other, it has very little impact on me.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

HokieFanDC wrote:It means that there a lot of kids born with fathers who won't do anything to support them. You're making way too big of a deal over a snarky comment. I don't really care one way or the other, it has very little impact on me.
Ah, but if mom is getting aid from the government, the government goes after dad for reimbursement. They garnish his wages. The real ässholes are the fûckers who jump jobs every time the state catches up with him so the state never gets reimbursed. Basically, when a guy jumps, he gets several weeks of work at the new job before the state finds him and orders the garnishment, at which time he jumps again to get a few more weeks at another job. THOSE guys are a real piece of work...
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie CPA wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:It means that there a lot of kids born with fathers who won't do anything to support them. You're making way too big of a deal over a snarky comment. I don't really care one way or the other, it has very little impact on me.
Ah, but if mom is getting aid from the government, the government goes after dad for reimbursement. They garnish his wages. The real ässholes are the fûckers who jump jobs every time the state catches up with him so the state never gets reimbursed. Basically, when a guy jumps, he gets several weeks of work at the new job before the state finds him and orders the garnishment, at which time he jumps again to get a few more weeks at another job. THOSE guys are a real piece of work...
There are tons of those guys. My father-in-law has spent his entire life and has never lacked work.