Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

PSA...

Post by Hokie CPA »

If your accountant goes through the trouble of producing and sending you a tax organizer (and I'm pretty sure most of us do), the least you could do is answer the questions in it and use it to make sure you send everything to him that he will need.

This fella sent me his info and as I'm going through it, I realize he hasn't given a hint about whether he paid any of the estimates we recommended he pay and he's left out his tithing statement from his church. The guy has tithed at LEAST 10% of his 6-figure salary every year since I've been doing his return. So I am pretty sure there's another 5-figures of charitable deductions to be taken on his return, but I can't substantiate that without talking to him first. And naturally, I can't call him on Sunday. :x If he'd looked at the organizer, he would have seen, "Oh... I sent this last year, I should find this year's statement."
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

RiverguyVT

Re: PSA...

Post by RiverguyVT »

;) I'm guessing you'll find a way to bill him for his oversight. ;)
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:If your accountant goes through the trouble of producing and sending you a tax organizer (and I'm pretty sure most of us do), the least you could do is answer the questions in it and use it to make sure you send everything to him that he will need.

This fella sent me his info and as I'm going through it, I realize he hasn't given a hint about whether he paid any of the estimates we recommended he pay and he's left out his tithing statement from his church. The guy has tithed at LEAST 10% of his 6-figure salary every year since I've been doing his return. So I am pretty sure there's another 5-figures of charitable deductions to be taken on his return, but I can't substantiate that without talking to him first. And naturally, I can't call him on Sunday. :x If he'd looked at the organizer, he would have seen, "Oh... I sent this last year, I should find this year's statement."
My CPA gives me those, but I think he prefers it if I just throw everything that could remotely be relevant in a redweld and let him figure it out.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Shoebox full of receipts is always the best way to go.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:If your accountant goes through the trouble of producing and sending you a tax organizer (and I'm pretty sure most of us do), the least you could do is answer the questions in it and use it to make sure you send everything to him that he will need.

What are your thoughts on the ex-IRS guys? I'm trying one out this year, but he's super aggressive on the deductions. Claims he knows the safe zones to avoid an audit, but I'm suspicious.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

My CPA gives me those, but I think he prefers it if I just throw everything that could remotely be relevant in a redweld and let him figure it out.
I organize all my docs by doc type (Employment, investment, mortgages, 1099s, donations, receipts by category, etc.) and also provide spreadsheets where there is non-employment income. Takes my accountant a very short time to go through the initial pass, and then we talk about other areas that may be tax advantages or where we can be more aggressive (like home office or non-reimbursed business deductions). I think this helps your accountant do a better job, doing his job.