"Bell Curve" author wrote an open letter to the VT community

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieDan95

"Bell Curve" author wrote an open letter to the VT community

Post by HokieDan95 »

"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Re: "Bell Curve" author wrote an open letter to the VT commu

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

SJW Tim Sands doesn't like Science?
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Isn't he a Berkley guy?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Dr. Steger was politically moderate. (IIRC, he gave political donations to some Republicans and some Democrats.) What I have seen of Dr. Sands makes me believe he is more the typical LWNJ you expect from academia.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

BigDave wrote:Dr. Steger was politically moderate. (IIRC, he gave political donations to some Republicans and some Democrats.) What I have seen of Dr. Sands makes me believe he is more the typical LWNJ you expect from academia.
Pretty much. I'm sure someone attended this event and complained to him afterword.
miles

Post by miles »

Sad to see some of the "progressive" changes at Tech.
The university we loved graduated pragmatic, grounded, critical thinkers and hard workers who went out and made things, built things, served, helped, led, and paid it forward, and back.
Times have changed, and today Tech is little different than the rest of the radical left wing virus in academia.
I stopped giving to the University in 2012, and see little reason to resume.
It's more popular for VT to be politically correct than true to its principles.
It's all about indoctrination these days.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

miles wrote:Sad to see some of the "progressive" changes at Tech.
The university we loved graduated pragmatic, grounded, critical thinkers and hard workers who went out and made things, built things, served, helped, led, and paid it forward, and back.
Times have changed, and today Tech is little different than the rest of the radical left wing virus in academia.
I stopped giving to the University in 2012, and see little reason to resume.
It's more popular for VT to be politically correct than true to its principles.
It's all about indoctrination these days.
It sure sounds like its changed a ton since I was there. I don't recall too much in-your-face politics when I was there - at least not from the student body. I'm sure it was going on, but there were no crazy left-wing protests, or partisan University Presidents.

The worst I had were a few left-wing professors preaching to me about how blacks cannot be racists, and women should beware of all men because men are dangerous predators by nature. But that was only in the humanities department. Politics was no where to be found in my engineering classes.
Last edited by UpstateSCHokie on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Meh Hari Seldon has already covered this.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Sands just drove off Dick Bensen from the engineering school. Huge mistake.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

133743Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
That's an incredibly disingenuous way of putting it. I think there are a lot of Deans that would love to be "driven away" to be the President at another university.
Uprising

Post by Uprising »

I agree with you guys. What's the world coming to when a President of a university can't repudiate a man who has spent his entire career creating and disseminating pseudo-scientific racist propaganda, while still defending his right to speak, without it being called political.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

If only he'd been a reputable "scientist" who considers mice to be the same as mankind. :roll:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Uprising wrote:I agree with you guys. What's the world coming to when a President of a university can't repudiate a man who has spent his entire career creating and disseminating pseudo-scientific racist propaganda, while still defending his right to speak, without it being called political.
Do you have statistics for this?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Uprising wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
That's an incredibly disingenuous way of putting it. I think there are a lot of Deans that would love to be "driven away" to be the President at another university.
UT-Dallas? Really? Sorry, Dick is more capable than that.

He met the headhunter when he was on the Sands search committee. The headhunter badgered him into "applying" and he only said yes in a moment of sorrow (right after Lynn Nystrom passing) and frustration (his dealing with Sands desire to "centralize" everything). Never submitted a resume or formal letter of interest. Did a phone /Skype interview. Never visited the school. Has never seen the campus, yet accepted when offered. There is some buyers remorse on his part from what I understand but it may be too late as far as Sands is concerned.

Sands micro-management created the friction. Benson was unhappy and dejected and made a knee jerk decision.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

He met the headhunter when he was on the Sands search committee. The headhunter badgered him into "applying" and he only said yes in a moment of sorrow (right after Lynn Nystrom passing) and frustration (his dealing with Sands desire to "centralize" everything). Never submitted a resume or formal letter of interest. Did a phone /Skype interview. Never visited the school. Has never seen the campus, yet accepted when offered. There is some buyers remorse on his part from what I understand but it may be too late as far as Sands is concerned.

Sands micro-management created the friction. Benson was unhappy and dejected and made a knee jerk decision.

What a shame. I cannot stand that management style. Why was Sands hired?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Uprising wrote:I agree with you guys. What's the world coming to when a President of a university can't repudiate a man who has spent his entire career creating and disseminating pseudo-scientific racist propaganda, while still defending his right to speak, without it being called political.
Do you have statistics for this?

Psychometric testing has borne out this difference for years. Lots of theories for the differences have been proposed, even a specific test was designed to account for alleged cultural bias against blacks with the standard IQ test. However, no definitive explanations have sufficiently explained the differences yet.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Uprising

Post by Uprising »

133743Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

You can't hire an adjunct professor without them visiting campus and interviewing face-to-face with the search committee. And you are trying to have me believe that this university did so with their President? Pardon me if I think you are fos.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Uprising wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

You can't hire an adjunct professor without them visiting campus and interviewing face-to-face with the search committee. And you are trying to have me believe that this university did so with their President? Pardon me if I think you are fos.
I'm telling you exactly how it went. Agree it was very bizarre. But IIWII.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

A blatantly false representation on his work.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

A blatantly false representation on his work.

You expected something different from Uprising? Well, except maybe a deflection...