Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Re: Lol...Emory U. students triggered by pro-Trump "chalking

Post by Uprising »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Uprising wrote:Whoops.
http://www.snopes.com/emory-students-trump-graffiti/
While it was true that several dozen Emory University students protested in response to the Trump chalk scrawlings, we were unable to substantiate that anyone (student or administrator) offered emergency counseling, or, indeed, counseling or any sort. Neither did anyone seek counseling that we could see, and no students complained “safe spaces” were violated (though at least one said they felt “unsafe”)...

In nearly all such claims, details of the actual controversy were obfuscated by embellished elements framing students or schools as overly sensitive. While it was true some students of color expressed that the large number of Trump chalkings made them uneasy, most simply gathered to express their political distaste for the presidential candidate and his platforms on issues of race and religion.

Lol. And? Embellishments or not, a group of students protested the expression of someone else's expression of free speech. Oh how I wish the old school Lampoon staff were still in their prime. They would excoriate these SJW halfwits.
And if Uprising wasnt too lazy to read the article he'd see that safe spaces are mentioned in it. Maybe we need a Snopes for Snopes.
Maybe you should have read the Snopes article:
Many Twitter users linked to an article published about the controversy by the Emory Wheel, the university's student-run newspaper. The term "counseling" only appeared in the item's comments section, and "safe spaces" was included as a paraphrase (meaning the purportedly oversensitive students invoking the concept hadn't actually used the words)...
However, the sole citation for the "counseling" claim was the same Emory Wheel article which, again, made no mention of any such offer or demand.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
and no students complained “safe spaces” were violated (though at least one said they felt “unsafe”)
Sure. And we call that "mostly false".

They've gotten as bad as Politifact ... I don't remember what the topic was, but there was something where they said "So Xyz's numbers are essentially correct" and then rated the claim "partially true".
Except, according to the newspaper, the students were referring to safe spaces (let me note this wasn't even discussed in the thread until Uprising brought it up).
Grievances were not restricted to shortcomings of the administration. “[Faculty] are supporting this rhetoric by not ending it,” said one student, who went on to say that “people of color are struggling academically because they are so focused on trying to have a safe community and focus on these issues [related to having safe spaces on campus].”
I guess Snopes thinks they can call it false because it's not a direct quote, even though it's in direct conflict with the passage you quoted.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:I guess Snopes thinks they can call it false because it's not a direct quote, even though it's in direct conflict with the passage you quoted.
I think "mostly false" means "unpopular truth", in this case.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Re: Lol...Emory U. students triggered by pro-Trump

Post by USN_Hokie »

Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
While it was true that several dozen Emory University students protested in response to the Trump chalk scrawlings, we were unable to substantiate that anyone (student or administrator) offered emergency counseling, or, indeed, counseling or any sort. Neither did anyone seek counseling that we could see, and no students complained “safe spaces” were violated (though at least one said they felt “unsafe”)...

In nearly all such claims, details of the actual controversy were obfuscated by embellished elements framing students or schools as overly sensitive. While it was true some students of color expressed that the large number of Trump chalkings made them uneasy, most simply gathered to express their political distaste for the presidential candidate and his platforms on issues of race and religion.

Lol. And? Embellishments or not, a group of students protested the expression of someone else's expression of free speech. Oh how I wish the old school Lampoon staff were still in their prime. They would excoriate these SJW halfwits.
And if Uprising wasnt too lazy to read the article he'd see that safe spaces are mentioned in it. Maybe we need a Snopes for Snopes.
Many Twitter users linked to an article published about the controversy by the Emory Wheel, the university's student-run newspaper. The term "counseling" only appeared in the item's comments section, and "safe spaces" was included as a paraphrase (meaning the purportedly oversensitive students invoking the concept hadn't actually used the words)...
However, the sole citation for the "counseling" claim was the same Emory Wheel article which, again, made no mention of any such offer or demand.
Actually, it's not a paraphrase, it's an editorial comment indicating that what they were referring to. Maybe you should have read the source and made up your own opinion instead of posting the interpretations of others.

Better luck next time....
Uprising

Post by Uprising »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Actually, it's not a paraphrase, it's an editorial comment indicating that what they were referring to. Maybe you should have read the source and made up your own opinion instead of posting the interpretations of others.

Do you know what paraphrase means?
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I'm surprised there are still people using Snopes as the final arbiter of what is true and false. I thought people learned the truth about them years ago?
For several years people have tried to find out who exactly was behind the website Snopes.com. Only recently did they get to the bottom of it. Are you ready for this? It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators scouring public records in Washington, no researchers studying historical stacks in libraries, no team of lawyers reaching a consensus on current caselaw. No, Snopes.com is just a mom-and-pop operation that was started by two people who have absolutely no formal background or experience in investigative research.
They are not experts on anything other than Googling and writing their own editorials on topics.

http://accuracyinpolitics.blogspot.com/ ... noped.html

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I'm surprised there are still people using Snopes as the final arbiter of what is true and false. I thought people learned the truth about them years ago?
Snopes is a great resource for looking up the veracity of viral email forwards. For anything vaguely political, they are just as biased as any other supposed fact check site.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:[

Do you know what paraphrase means?[/quote]

You obviously do not. Again, better luck next time.

ETA for your education:
Paraphrasing involves putting a passage from source material into your own words. A paraphrase must also be attributed to the original source. Paraphrased material is usually shorter than the original passage, taking a somewhat broader segment of the source and condensing it slightly.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/563/01/
The article uses an editor's note, of which square brackets are an accepted mechanism (but never used for paraphrasing):
Square brackets
But parentheses are not to be confused with square brackets. These can be used to:

add an editor’s note or direction
Emphasis staff will be required to wear Santa hats to work throughout December [Catie to purchase these].
http://writing-skills.com/brackets-and-how-to-use-them
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:I'm surprised there are still people using Snopes as the final arbiter of what is true and false. I thought people learned the truth about them years ago?
Snopes is a great resource for looking up the veracity of viral email forwards. For anything vaguely political, they are just as biased as any other supposed fact check site.
Yeah Snopes is relegated to responding to crazy grandma email forwards.
Uprising

Post by Uprising »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:[

ETA for your education:
Paraphrasing involves putting a passage from source material into your own words. A paraphrase must also be attributed to the original source. Paraphrased material is usually shorter than the original passage, taking a somewhat broader segment of the source and condensing it slightly.

The article uses an editor's note, of which square brackets are an accepted mechanism (but never used for paraphrasing):
Square brackets
But parentheses are not to be confused with square brackets. These can be used to:

Emphasis staff will be required to wear Santa hats to work throughout December [Catie to purchase these].
Image[/quote]
You can't be serious. You should have kept reading. The very next example:
clarify meaning in a quote without changing any of the original words

She said, ‘If you make me wear that thing [the Santa hat] to work, I’m quitting.’

In these cases, you can just replace the word(s) being clarified eg

‘I said: if you make me put on [the Santa hat], I’m quitting. Humbug!’
And what does paraphrase mean?
uploadfromtaptalk1458939863885.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458939863885.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Putting in your own words... Clarifying... Hmmmmmm...
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

ETA for your education:

Square brackets

You can't be serious. You should have kept reading. The very next example:
clarify meaning in a quote without changing any of the original words

She said, ‘If you make me wear that thing [the Santa hat] to work, I’m quitting.’

In these cases, you can just replace the word(s) being clarified eg

‘I said: if you make me put on [the Santa hat], I’m quitting. Humbug!’
And what does paraphrase mean?
IMG_20160325_170358.jpg
Putting in your own words... Clarifying... Hmmmmmm...[/quote]

Uh, no. An editorial note is not a paraphrase. The words in brackets are clearly adding to the quotations, not paraphrasing the words in quotes.

It's cute watching you hang on to this last thread of your failed "burrrn" attempt and refute an irrelevant part of the article which we didn't even discuss. Oh boy you showed us. Are you this smarmy with your Starbucks customers?