A Northern Virginia woman says she was fired...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

A Northern Virginia woman says she was fired...

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: A Northern Virginia woman says she was fired...

Post by USN_Hokie »

Chuck Joo!
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

What's the correct answer on this based on the religious protection laws we have on the books?

I sympathize with the business owner because it's a private business and I'd like him to be able to have religious neutral policies. There is a lot of politically correct value in that with such a hands on customer service business. Not to mention he has a dress code (better get it written down and lawyer approved if not already). But I'm guessing the anti-discrimination statutes may protect her. Then again, if wearing a hijab is such a voluntary part of her religion, i.e. not wearing one the first 3 times (interview, first two days on the job) her case may be a bit weakened.

He's not my dentist but he's in my zip code and the name sounds familiar. Debating on posting a potential controversial thread on the ole neighborhood facebook page.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:What's the correct answer on this based on the religious protection laws we have on the books?

I sympathize with the business owner because it's a private business and I'd like him to be able to have religious neutral policies. There is a lot of politically correct value in that with such a hands on customer service business. Not to mention he has a dress code (better get it written down and lawyer approved if not already). But I'm guessing the anti-discrimination statutes may protect her. Then again, if wearing a hijab is such a voluntary part of her religion, i.e. not wearing one the first 3 times (interview, first two days on the job) her case may be a bit weakened.

He's not my dentist but he's in my zip code and the name sounds familiar. Debating on posting a potential controversial thread on the ole neighborhood facebook page.
Is he truly religion neutral? Do any employees wear crosses for instance? Do people say "God bless you" when you sneeze? I think it is hard to be completely religion neutral so it will be hard for him to win this IMO.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Good for him. Working at that private dentistry is not her constitutional right. She should get a government dentistry job and then she can pray to Allah during cleanings. Private businesses should be able to make and enforce dress codes in America. No different that the guy working the paint counter at Home Depot not being able to wear a "I eat (cat)" T shirt to work.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:What's the correct answer on this based on the religious protection laws we have on the books?

Is he truly religion neutral? Do any employees wear crosses for instance? Do people say "God bless you" when you sneeze? I think it is hard to be completely religion neutral so it will be hard for him to win this IMO.
God Bless you is a "figure of speech" - for pete's sake- (get it?) and not affiliated with any particular religion- it by definition is "religion neutral" Can we please not make this any more moronic than it needs to be?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

God Bless you is a "figure of speech" - for pete's sake- (get it?) and not affiliated with any particular religion- it by definition is "religion neutral" Can we please not make this any more moronic than it needs to be?
God bless you is a religious figure of speech.

That said, the point is the guy is basing his claim on wanting a religious neutral workplace and it is something he can't achieve, therefore he shouldn't be using that as his rationale
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

CFB Apologist wrote:Good for him. Working at that private dentistry is not her constitutional right. She should get a government dentistry job and then she can pray to Allah during cleanings. Private businesses should be able to make and enforce dress codes in America. No different that the guy working the paint counter at Home Depot not being able to wear a "I eat (cat)" T shirt to work.
Wouldn't a better comparison be an employee at Home Depot being allowed or not allowed to wear a hijab or a cross or a yarmulke?
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

absolutvt03 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:Good for him. Working at that private dentistry is not her constitutional right. She should get a government dentistry job and then she can pray to Allah during cleanings. Private businesses should be able to make and enforce dress codes in America. No different that the guy working the paint counter at Home Depot not being able to wear a "I eat (cat)" T shirt to work.
Wouldn't a better comparison be an employee at Home Depot being allowed or not allowed to wear a hijab or a cross or a yarmulke?
Not really. Home Depot is a private company with a dress code.. simple concept- they make the rules on what their employees can wear to work- no cutoff shorts, no F Obama T shirts..and yes if a Hijab was too constrictive to work in the drywall aisle or a burka was too distracting to their customers in non-sharia law stores and affected their bottom line, they should have the freedom to enforce that dress code. It's a no-brainer.
absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
Not really. Home Depot is a private company with a dress code.. simple concept- they make the rules on what their employees can wear to work- no cutoff shorts, no F Obama T shirts..and yes if a Hijab was too constrictive to work in the drywall aisle or a burka was too distracting to their customers in non-sharia law stores and affected their bottom line, they should have the freedom to enforce that dress code. It's a no-brainer.
Comparing religious garments to "cut off shorts and F Obama t-shirts" is a bit disingenuous. I don't completely disagree with you but I think you're hurting your argument by A) focusing solely on Muslim religious garb and B) comparing said garb to non-religious clothing. Hypothetically, would you be ok with a private company firing an employee for wearing a cross necklace?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

absolutvt03 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
Comparing religious garments to "cut off shorts and F Obama t-shirts" is a bit disingenuous. I don't completely disagree with you but I think you're hurting your argument by A) focusing solely on Muslim religious garb and B) comparing said garb to non-religious clothing. Hypothetically, would you be ok with a private company firing an employee for wearing a cross necklace?
Sorry- forced preteen marriages, castrations, systematic rapes, etc. are clouding my argument- my bad. Yes, if a private dentist had in his work dress code.. "no cross necklaces", he should be able to enforce that and fire someone for non-compliance. The problem is that a cross necklace is unlikely to be associated with a Jihad against the United States or woman not having the right to work or vote...and is likley less restrictive than a tight fitting body length dress in the workplace.
absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
Sorry- forced preteen marriages, castrations, systematic rapes, etc. are clouding my argument- my bad. Yes, if a private dentist had in his work dress code.. "no cross necklaces", he should be able to enforce that and fire someone for non-compliance. The problem is that a cross necklace is unlikely to be associated with a Jihad against the United States or woman not having the right to work or vote...and is likley less restrictive than a tight fitting body length dress in the workplace.
None of that should "cloud your argument" because it's irrelevant to the point. If certain clothing (jewelry, loose sleeves, etc) are not allowed because of safety issues then that's one thing. Singling out one particular garment from one particular religion because you associate it "with a Jihad against the United States" is something completely different. Like I said above, if you think a private business owner should be able to fire people based on any clothing, that's fine. I don't disagree. But you seem focused on Islam and discriminating against people of that religion because you don't like that religion. Put another way, your point comes across as "I think people should be able to fire Muslims who wear Islamic garb because Islam is a barbaric, anti-American religion" instead of "I think private companies should be able to dictate dress codes regardless of religion because they are private companies".