Nice summary of the illegality of the $400M "ransom" payment

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Nice summary of the illegality of the $400M "ransom" payment

Post by 133743Hokie »

This commentary from Andrew McCarthy sums the matter up nicely -- it was illegal. Period.

"Digging deeper into the Obama administration’s $400 million ransom payment to Iran. I don’t want to be a broken record on the subject of President Obama’s appalling $400 million cash payment to Iran. I am at a loss, however, to understand how the press — and not just the pro-Obama mainstream media — continues to accept at face value President Obama’s preposterous claim that the transaction had to be structured the way it was (U.S. dollars converted to foreign currency and shipped to Tehran) because the law forbids transferring U.S. dollars to Iran.

The regulations that Obama concedes applied to this transaction do not just forbid sending U.S. dollars to Iran; they forbid exactly what the president did. Specifically, they prohibit Americans from transferring any currency to Iran — including foreign currency. They also prohibit circumventing the ban on sending Iran U.S. dollars by having an intermediary launder the dollars into another asset — such as foreign currency — and then shipping that asset to Iran.

That is common sense. If it were not the case, anyone could get around the anti-terrorism sanctions that prohibit conducting financial transactions with Iran — sanctions the Obama administration swore up and down to Congress it would continue to enforce — by simply converting dollars into, say, euros and francs (like Obama did) and then transferring that foreign currency to Iran. Such transactions are against the law. If you tried to execute one, you could go to jail for a very long time — even if the assets you transferred to the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism didn’t come close to $400 million in value."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... -be-sneaky
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Nice summary of the illegality of the $400M "ransom" pay

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:This commentary from Andrew McCarthy sums the matter up nicely -- it was illegal. Period.

"Digging deeper into the Obama administration’s $400 million ransom payment to Iran. I don’t want to be a broken record on the subject of President Obama’s appalling $400 million cash payment to Iran. I am at a loss, however, to understand how the press — and not just the pro-Obama mainstream media — continues to accept at face value President Obama’s preposterous claim that the transaction had to be structured the way it was (U.S. dollars converted to foreign currency and shipped to Tehran) because the law forbids transferring U.S. dollars to Iran.

The regulations that Obama concedes applied to this transaction do not just forbid sending U.S. dollars to Iran; they forbid exactly what the president did. Specifically, they prohibit Americans from transferring any currency to Iran — including foreign currency. They also prohibit circumventing the ban on sending Iran U.S. dollars by having an intermediary launder the dollars into another asset — such as foreign currency — and then shipping that asset to Iran.

That is common sense. If it were not the case, anyone could get around the anti-terrorism sanctions that prohibit conducting financial transactions with Iran — sanctions the Obama administration swore up and down to Congress it would continue to enforce — by simply converting dollars into, say, euros and francs (like Obama did) and then transferring that foreign currency to Iran. Such transactions are against the law. If you tried to execute one, you could go to jail for a very long time — even if the assets you transferred to the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism didn’t come close to $400 million in value."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... -be-sneaky
I remember when the MSM(D) would mock Bush because they claimed he lacked "intellectual curiosity." Where the hell is their "intellectual curiosity" on any topic that might put Obama in a negative light?

These people were given a great power & responsibility via our 1st amendment and they just abuse and disgrace it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Reminiscent of Iran-Contra, I would think.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:Reminiscent of Iran-Contra, I would think.
Only that was a case of funding good guys to stop bad guys. This is funding bad guys who will fund terrorists.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Nothing will be done.....just watch. The media will move to the next Trump thing or make another one up and the Pubs have no balls.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Nothing will be done.....just watch. The media will move to the next Trump thing or make another one up and the Pubs have no balls.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function