Professor Penalizes Students Who Use Phrase “Melting Pot"

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Professor Penalizes Students Who Use Phrase “Melting Pot"

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Here ya go folks. These people do not want an American culture - at least not the one that we grew up with and made this country the greatest in the history of the planet. To have an American culture is racist & oppressive. Combine this with the fact that they do not want a border (at least not one that should be enforced or respected), and you really have to wonder what the end goal is.

But what kind of "country" do you have that does not have a culture and does not have a border?

==============================

Professor Penalizes Students Who Use The Phrase “Melting Pot”
By Robert Gehl Leave a Comment

If you can control what people say, you can control what they think.

Nobody knows this truism better than college professors. That’s why so many of them carefully couch their language to include leftist ideas and liberal ideology.

Some words and phrases are relatively easy to change … remember when Democrats were “liberals?” Now they’re “progressives,” and who’s against progress!

But others are a bit more difficult. Take the uniquely American phrase “melting pot.” It’s been a metaphor for the United States for more than a century. It symbolizes cultural assimilation and acculturation … “Americanization,” basically. You can be from Russia, but you’re an American. From India, but you’re an American. You immigrate, learn the language, the customs and become part of this great country.

And liberals hate that. They hate the idea that anybody would want to be an American. That anybody would move here with the intention of assimilating into the greatest country on earth.

It’s a sign of imperialism! Nationalism! Racism! Some -ism. Even better … it’s a “microaggression!” Can’t argue with microaggressions, can you?

So if you can get students to stop using the term “melting pot,” you can stop students from thinking of America that way.

And that’s precisely what Pamela Brekka over at the University of Florida is doing.

She teaches an Art Appreciation class that looks at “American Diversity and Global Arts.” The class fulfills general education requirements for most majors at the school.

It turns out, CampusReform reports, that Dr. Brekka hates the term “melting pot.” Hates it, hates it, hates it. So much that if a student even uses the term in class, they risk losing points in class.

On several online course modules, through which students submit assignments, a statement reads, “DO NOT EVER USE THE PHRASE ‘MELTING POT’ IN THIS CLASS. IN THIS CLASS WE CELEBRATE DIVERSITY, NOT SAMENESS.”

One student in the course, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Campus Reform that he noticed the warning and discussed it with friends who are also taking the course online for summer credit, reporting that “I haven’t been penalized personally because I kind of go with the flow, but I have talked to [a friend] and I’m pretty sure he has used some terms…and I think he has been penalized.”

The student says being unable to use certain phrases “changes the way I learn,” and makes him feel compelled to “go with the biased system.”

And that’s the point, isn’t it? The students will learn to use the right terms, say the right things, think the right way.

Dr. Brekka told CampusReform that she does, in fact, deduct points for students who use the term “melting pot.”

“There’s a left wing bias,” one anonymous students said. “If she said she doesn’t want people complaining because they can’t say certain things, she should have asked these questions in a more broad way so everyone can answer how they actually feel and not how she wants us to feel.”

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/p ... elting-pot

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Professor Penalizes Students Who Use Phrase “Melting Po

Post by HokieJoe »

Progressives are essentially children mentally speaking. The only way to eliminate this is to be diligent. We must 'correct' their malcontent affronts each and every time with whatever tools we we have available. In this case, the University should be taken to task over this regressor's stupidity. Should the University choose inaction, then a lawsuit is in order.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Re: Professor Penalizes Students Who Use Phrase “Melting Po

Post by 133743Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Here ya go folks. These people do not want an American culture - at least not the one that we grew up with and made this country the greatest in the history of the planet. To have an American culture is racist & oppressive. Combine this with the fact that they do not want a border (at least not one that should be enforced or respected), and you really have to wonder what the end goal is.

But what kind of "country" do you have that does not have a culture and does not have a border?

==============================

Professor Penalizes Students Who Use The Phrase “Melting Pot”
By Robert Gehl Leave a Comment

If you can control what people say, you can control what they think.

Nobody knows this truism better than college professors. That’s why so many of them carefully couch their language to include leftist ideas and liberal ideology.

Some words and phrases are relatively easy to change … remember when Democrats were “liberals?” Now they’re “progressives,” and who’s against progress!

But others are a bit more difficult. Take the uniquely American phrase “melting pot.” It’s been a metaphor for the United States for more than a century. It symbolizes cultural assimilation and acculturation … “Americanization,” basically. You can be from Russia, but you’re an American. From India, but you’re an American. You immigrate, learn the language, the customs and become part of this great country.

And liberals hate that. They hate the idea that anybody would want to be an American. That anybody would move here with the intention of assimilating into the greatest country on earth.

It’s a sign of imperialism! Nationalism! Racism! Some -ism. Even better … it’s a “microaggression!” Can’t argue with microaggressions, can you?

So if you can get students to stop using the term “melting pot,” you can stop students from thinking of America that way.

And that’s precisely what Pamela Brekka over at the University of Florida is doing.

She teaches an Art Appreciation class that looks at “American Diversity and Global Arts.” The class fulfills general education requirements for most majors at the school.

It turns out, CampusReform reports, that Dr. Brekka hates the term “melting pot.” Hates it, hates it, hates it. So much that if a student even uses the term in class, they risk losing points in class.

On several online course modules, through which students submit assignments, a statement reads, “DO NOT EVER USE THE PHRASE ‘MELTING POT’ IN THIS CLASS. IN THIS CLASS WE CELEBRATE DIVERSITY, NOT SAMENESS.”

One student in the course, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Campus Reform that he noticed the warning and discussed it with friends who are also taking the course online for summer credit, reporting that “I haven’t been penalized personally because I kind of go with the flow, but I have talked to [a friend] and I’m pretty sure he has used some terms…and I think he has been penalized.”

The student says being unable to use certain phrases “changes the way I learn,” and makes him feel compelled to “go with the biased system.”

And that’s the point, isn’t it? The students will learn to use the right terms, say the right things, think the right way.

Dr. Brekka told CampusReform that she does, in fact, deduct points for students who use the term “melting pot.”

“There’s a left wing bias,” one anonymous students said. “If she said she doesn’t want people complaining because they can’t say certain things, she should have asked these questions in a more broad way so everyone can answer how they actually feel and not how she wants us to feel.”

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/p ... elting-pot
So the teacher as all for diversity in everything but thought. Got it.