Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Kayakers rescued on the Rapp

Post by awesome guy »

https://blog.wildlife.virginia.gov/outd ... pahannock/

I believe that rental shops are negligent by allowing rentals in such a hazardous body of water, especially to people who aren't skilled enough to self-rescue. You should always be able to get back into your kayak after turtling. Especially there. With an outgoing tide, they're getting pushed into the middle of the bay. Should also always have a whistle and marine radio to signal for help. That should be standard equipment with the rental in my opinion. So why is this location dangerous? Tons of boat traffic, the channel is 50 foot deep, current, and you're getting pushed out into an area of the bay where you're likely to die if someone doesn't see you. I was supposed to go out with a buddy their last year, but as I was pulling in, he had already turtled by a boat punching out right by him. This is in the winter too, but luckily when we had those couple of 80 degree days in Dec, water was still in the 50s. He got lucky as another boater saw it all happen and pulled him back to shore. He was on a sit-on top kayak, but when it turtled, the front hatch blew open and the kayak filled with water. Be safe out there.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.