I'm liking the new Star Wars movie

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

I'm liking the new Star Wars movie

Post by awesome guy »

Hoping that it explains more of the politics and backdrop of why the empire was hated instead of just the Skywalker story. I think that a space based story of Rome type of movie could be compelling, showing the nature of tyranny. I'm sure I'll get a bang-bang movie instead as the original was a men in white hats movie and they have a hard time breaking out of that mold.

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Re: I'm liking the new Star Wars movie

Post by RiverguyVT »

I had tacos for lunch
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Me too!
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

awesome guy wrote:Hoping that it explains more of the politics and backdrop of why the empire was hated instead of just the Skywalker story. I think that a space based story of Rome type of movie could be compelling, showing the nature of tyranny. I'm sure I'll get a bang-bang movie instead as the original was a men in white hats movie and they have a hard time breaking out of that mold.

I think it looks better than The Force Awakens IMHO.....can't wait.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Hoping that it explains more of the politics and backdrop of why the empire was hated instead of just the Skywalker story. I think that a space based story of Rome type of movie could be compelling, showing the nature of tyranny. I'm sure I'll get a bang-bang movie instead as the original was a men in white hats movie and they have a hard time breaking out of that mold.

Yep, a gritty and close combat look. Love it, but TFA was great too.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Looking forward to it. Not sure what to think of the seemingly kung fu element but I'm sure I will like it. I'm the only person I know willing to watch the prequels whenever they're on...
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:Looking forward to it. Not sure what to think of the seemingly kung fu element but I'm sure I will like it. I'm the only person I know willing to watch the prequels whenever they're on...

I kind of like them too. They get busted on, but they were still really good movies. Though I agree with them leaning too much on CGI and having an artificial feel. I think TFA went too far the other way with some of the puppet characters as they looked like people under a suite. They can do a better job of combining the best elements of each, like the real sets the characters are interacting with and CGI enhanced characters. The only bad one in the sense of not really belonging in the franchise is EI. That was a waste in advancing the story and added the blunder of midichlorians. EII was necessary to tell the love story. In EIII, I would have made it so that Vader received less damage and then have him he receive further injuries in each movie leading up to EIV, so that loss of humanity is typically his cost for the dark side throughout his life. Like he's constantly cursed until turning away from the dark side. And that would have been blown out further in EVI. I'd also have him finally absolutely crush jedi in this movie so we can see how bad he is. This is a movie that the bad guys should win in every way the death star plans escaping, hopefully without him knowing he lost instead of the scene of shame like we typically get in Star Wars. He needs the scene of victory, not they "and I would have gotten away with it if not for you meddling kids" type of ending.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

I had tacos for lunch

Is that what you crazy kids are calling a "nooner" nowadays?
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote:

Yep.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson