Another poll "reconfigures" to get result it wants

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Another poll "reconfigures" to get result it wants

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Everyone talks about how the polls were "right" in 2012, but what polls are they talking about? Are they talking about the polls in the final weeks of the election, or the polls that were being published in August of 2012?

I will trust the polls when we get closer to the election, and certainly not before Labor Day.

============================================

WOW! Monmouth Refigures Poll After Trump Comes Out With Lead Over Hillary Clinton
Jim Hoft Aug 22nd, 2016 6:27 pm 197 Comments
WOW! These people are sooo corrupt!

Monmouth University released a poll today that had Donald Trump defeating Hillary Clinton.
Trump was up 41-39 so they weighted the poll with more Democrats to give Hillary the lead.
WOW!

The original unweighted poll had 33 Republicans to 35 Democrats – with Trump leading.
The revised poll had 29 Republicans to 37 Democrats… And, Wallah! Hillary has the lead.
trump thumbs

Conservative Treehouse reported:
Today, Monmouth via Patrick Murray presents a presidential poll of Ohio voters. The actual raw data (pdf available here – see pg, 6 and 7) showed Donald Trump with a lead in the result; however, Murray changed the data through weighting to show Hillary Clinton with a lead.

“GOUSAAMER114” pointed out the manipulation:

Monmouth just announced that Clinton leads Trump 43-39 in Ohio. But Pollster Patrick actually laid out what he did on pages 6 and 7 of the PDF.

He sampled 402 voters. In the unweighted sample, the split was 33.3R/29.3D/35.6I. With that split, Trump leads Clinton 41-39 in Ohio. But Pollster Patrick re-weighted it to a 29R/33D/37I split. Nothing else was re-weighted.

It’s obvious Murray didn’t expect to be called out on it – because when confronted with what he did, pollster Patrick Murray flat out lied.
https://twitter.com/GOUSAAmer114/status ... =twsrc^tfw

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/08 ... y-clinton/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Re: Another poll "reconfigures" to get result it wants

Post by Uprising »

You'll trust the polls when they give you the results that you want, not a moment before. First, we needed to wait until after a nominee was selected. Then, it was wait until after the conventions. Now, it is wait until after labor day. Next, it will be wait until baseball season is over. Finally, it will be wait until we unskew the next elections polls.

And what exactly do you think Monmouth did wrong here? Even if what gateway pundit is claiming was correct, that Monmouth only weighted on party ID, we know that more people self identify as Democrat/Democrat leaning than Republican/Republican leaning. Weighting polls to represent the population is not a conspiracy.

*I'll add that gateway pundit couldn't even bother to translate the information correctly. They said the original poll was 33R/35D and was weighted to 29R/37D. While in the text they quoted it was actually 33R/29D weighted to 29R/33D. But they seem to know what they are talking about... [emoji19]
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Here's a good article on trying to discredit individual polls for whatever reason.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ele ... oll-alone/
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

absolutvt03 wrote:Here's a good article on trying to discredit individual polls for whatever reason.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ele ... oll-alone/
Fringe site. Image
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

I'm rooting for Trump but he's not going to win.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:I'm rooting for Trump but he's not going to win.
I love that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.