Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: First week. How'd we do?

Post by BigDave »

On the new new TSL, the "classic" boards will be threaded and the vBulletin ones will be non-threaded. There won't be any more of the hybrid. Personally, I think that's a mistake. The problem wasn't vBulletin - the problem was everything else. They make you hover and click a bunch of times to casually browse, so (duh) that cuts down on pageviews. If they had just rolled out vBulletin boards and not touched the rest of the site, I bet they wouldn't have lost very many people at all.
Hokie CPA wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
BigDave wrote:PhpBB does not have now and will not ever have in the future threaded support.

There used to be some add-ins for it, but none of them are maintained and none of them apply to the current version of the software.

If we absolutely had to have threaded mode, we would have to switch to a different piece of message board software. MyBB would probably be the top candidate. I'm certainly open to at least setting it up and testing it out.
BlacksburgVA wrote:Is threaded view not an option on this board? This takes some getting used to!
Dave, no need to go to that trouble...
Folks need to get used to this kind of board already. If more people had given it a chance on TSL, Will wouldn't have had to go through so many ridiculous hoops to re-re-re-launch TSL yet again. Thread View is just so over and done with already.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Marine Hokie

Re: First week. How'd we do?

Post by Marine Hokie »

That's not a fair or accurate assessment. It's good forum software on top of a CMS. There are plenty of Mexican restaurants with better seafood than some restaurants that only offer seafood.
There are various benefits, one though is that you'll necessarily have a WordPress site/blog if you want it, and as we know, every domain should have WordPress. ;)
BigDave wrote:There really wasn't anything I did like. It was CMS software trying to be a message board. It would be like using Duke Nukem to do your accounting or going to a Mexican restaurant and ordering seafood.
Marine Hokie wrote:What about it don't you like?

BigDave wrote:I took a look at it the day you told me about it ... http://blog.uwsboard.com/forums/forum/united-we-stand/

I wasn't thrilled at all.
Marine Hokie wrote:My vote is still bbpress. ;)
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.