Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

First week. How'd we do?

Post by RiverguyVT »

Our first week.

thoughts?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
jmac610

Re: First week. How'd we do?

Post by jmac610 »

so far I'd say a huge success.
Let's hope the discussions and disagreements can remain on a non-personal level.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

RiverguyVT wrote:Our first week.

thoughts?
I'd say it's be a home run. I haven't posted as much just because I'm not used to the new board format/layout (old dog, new tricks kinda thing), but I think things here have been far superior to the UWS board so far.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

thoughts?
Needs more cowbell. And by "cowbell" I mean LOVE.

Other than that, gooderly.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Oh Valencia, the love is there my man. Always. Just expressed in new and more productive ways.
Valencia Hokie wrote:

thoughts?

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

thoughts?
It's been fantastic! Love the new vibe, the board, etc. Some of the trolls haven't made it over or are still waiting for togetherness to maximize before spreading the sorrow within them to us. My one compliant is links on Tapatalk. Gota be a way to make them work under all circumstances.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Once

Post by Once »

Excellent, but I'm inclined to give us an undeserving B instead of an A+ in an effort to keep (my) our standards high and avoid backsliding. ;)

thoughts?
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:Oh Valencia, the love is there my man. Always. Just expressed in new and more productive ways.
Valencia Hokie wrote:

thoughts?

Brother, I miss you calling me (and everyone else) brother. That was showin da luv.

Bruce Dickinson approves this message...baby.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

thoughts?
This thread gets the around the world and back snap! :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Do you have a tablet/smart phone? If so try tapatalk. You may find it easier to navigate.
Hokie5150 wrote:

thoughts?
I'd say it's be a home run. I haven't posted as much just because I'm not used to the new board format/layout (old dog, new tricks kinda thing), but I think things here have been far superior to the UWS board so far.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Marine Hokie wrote:Do you have a tablet/smart phone? If so try tapatalk. You may find it easier to navigate.
It's not that it's difficult as such...just different. I do miss the threaded view where a quick glance can give an excellent overview of a thread.
BlacksburgVA

Post by BlacksburgVA »

Is threaded view not an option on this board? This takes some getting used to!
Hokie5150 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:Do you have a tablet/smart phone? If so try tapatalk. You may find it easier to navigate.
It's not that it's difficult as such...just different. I do miss the threaded view where a quick glance can give an excellent overview of a thread.
Go Hokies
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

BlacksburgVA wrote:Is threaded view not an option on this board? This takes some getting used to!
If it is available, I've not found it...but that's not saying much on my account. I completely overlooked the "mark forums read" button the other day when looking for it.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

I shouldn't have said easier. I just meant that it can be quicker and less cumbersome. :)
Hokie5150 wrote:
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
BlacksburgVA

Post by BlacksburgVA »

I haven't either. Heck I don't even know yet what "Mark forums read" button is!
Hokie5150 wrote:
BlacksburgVA wrote:Is threaded view not an option on this board? This takes some getting used to!
If it is available, I've not found it...but that's not saying much on my account. I completely overlooked the "mark forums read" button the other day when looking for it.
Go Hokies
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Mark forums read marks all threads as read.

Any thread that has new posts since the last time you read it has the little orange icons (as shown in the green box below). Threads that do not have new posts in them are as shown in the blue box below. If you click on the little icon with the arrow pointing to a page (just to the left of the thread title) it will take you straight to the first post that is new since the last time you read the thread.

If you click the "mark forums read" button, it resets this "read" flag so that everything is read. That way, if you join a forum 5 years after it opened and only care about reading everything going forward (as opposed to five years of old posts) you can hit this button and mark the five years of history as though you had already read it.
read vs unread.png
read vs unread.png (7.94 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
BlacksburgVA wrote:I haven't either. Heck I don't even know yet what "Mark forums read" button is!
Hokie5150 wrote:
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

PhpBB does not have now and will not ever have in the future threaded support.

There used to be some add-ins for it, but none of them are maintained and none of them apply to the current version of the software.

If we absolutely had to have threaded mode, we would have to switch to a different piece of message board software. MyBB would probably be the top candidate. I'm certainly open to at least setting it up and testing it out.
BlacksburgVA

Post by BlacksburgVA »

Thanks BigDave. I'm happy to learn the new software. Obviously on the other site there was the option for threads, so I never took the time. I'm figuring it out and ya'll seem willing to answer any stupid questions.
BigDave wrote:PhpBB does not have now and will not ever have in the future threaded support.

There used to be some add-ins for it, but none of them are maintained and none of them apply to the current version of the software.

If we absolutely had to have threaded mode, we would have to switch to a different piece of message board software. MyBB would probably be the top candidate. I'm certainly open to at least setting it up and testing it out.
Go Hokies
BlacksburgVA

Post by BlacksburgVA »

Cool. Thank you a second time.
BigDave wrote:Mark forums read marks all threads as read.

Any thread that has new posts since the last time you read it has the little orange icons (as shown in the green box below). Threads that do not have new posts in them are as shown in the blue box below. If you click on the little icon with the arrow pointing to a page (just to the left of the thread title) it will take you straight to the first post that is new since the last time you read the thread.

If you click the "mark forums read" button, it resets this "read" flag so that everything is read. That way, if you join a forum 5 years after it opened and only care about reading everything going forward (as opposed to five years of old posts) you can hit this button and mark the five years of history as though you had already read it.
read vs unread.png
BlacksburgVA wrote:I haven't either. Heck I don't even know yet what "Mark forums read" button is!
Hokie5150 wrote:
Go Hokies
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

BigDave wrote:PhpBB does not have now and will not ever have in the future threaded support.

Dave, no need to go to that trouble...
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

My vote is still bbpress. ;)

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

I took a look at it the day you told me about it ... http://blog.uwsboard.com/forums/forum/united-we-stand/

I wasn't thrilled at all.
Marine Hokie wrote:My vote is still bbpress. ;)
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

What about it don't you like?

BigDave wrote:I took a look at it the day you told me about it ... http://blog.uwsboard.com/forums/forum/united-we-stand/

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

Hokie5150 wrote:

Dave, no need to go to that trouble...
Folks need to get used to this kind of board already. If more people had given it a chance on TSL, Will wouldn't have had to go through so many ridiculous hoops to re-re-re-launch TSL yet again. Thread View is just so over and done with already.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

There really wasn't anything I did like. It was CMS software trying to be a message board. It would be like using Duke Nukem to do your accounting or going to a Mexican restaurant and ordering seafood.
Marine Hokie wrote:What about it don't you like?

BigDave wrote:I took a look at it the day you told me about it ... http://blog.uwsboard.com/forums/forum/united-we-stand/