Two sides of the same story...interesting look at perception

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie5150

Re: Two sides of the same story...interesting look at percep

Post by Hokie5150 »

Major Kong wrote:I've never ate at a BW3...there is only one place I'd wait for 2 hrs before being seated to eat and that would be at my Mom's house when she is whipping up pinto beans, cornbread, mac-cheese and 'maters, snap beans and fried chicken. :)
Beans and cornbread...one of my favorite all-time meals. Good stuff.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Hokie5150 wrote:Beans and cornbread...one of my favorite all-time meals. Good stuff.
Yellow cornmeal or white cornmeal? It's important. :)

I prefer white cornmeal for cornbread & hushpuppies...yellow cornmeal for corn muffins. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:Beans and cornbread...one of my favorite all-time meals. Good stuff.

I prefer white cornmeal for cornbread & hushpuppies...yellow cornmeal for corn muffins. :D
Ah yes, now you're getting into the nitty-gritty of it. All white corns are sweeter and better in my opinion. Yellow corn is cow feed. The yellow corn folks gleefully steer the crowd in the wrong direction! Muffins have sugar, which makes it more palatable in that application. When frying catfish, it's white corn all the way. I especially like the VA white corn.

The country menu shows the other great thing about VA, if I get sick of seafood, there's always meat, potatoes, vegetables, etc in the western half of the state. Richmond gets the best of everything, being centrally located. Seafood and hawgs to my right, catfish under my feet, fresh veggies and cattle to my left. This place is a paradise.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Once

Post by Once »

So here is a question for both of you: do you, or have you ever seen anyone, eat corn bread mushed down in buttermilk with an onion chopped up in it or is this just some kinda screwed up family snack among my people?
Major Kong wrote:

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

never heard of this one. :?
Once wrote:So here is a question for both of you: do you, or have you ever seen anyone, eat corn bread mushed down in buttermilk with an onion chopped up in it or is this just some kinda screwed up family snack among my people?
Major Kong wrote:

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:So here is a question for both of you: do you, or have you ever seen anyone, eat corn bread mushed down in buttermilk with an onion chopped up in it or is this just some kinda screwed up family snack among my people?
Major Kong wrote:

Cornbread in buttermilk was a staple to my peeps, but no onion in it.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Yup it was a staple of my Dad...he even had his own special cornbread mush bowl.

My sister and nephew eat it that way but it didn't catch on with me. :)

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Ah yes, now you're getting into the nitty-gritty of it. All white corns are sweeter and better in my opinion. Yellow corn is cow feed. The yellow corn folks gleefully steer the crowd in the wrong direction! Muffins have sugar, which makes it more palatable in that application. When frying catfish, it's white corn all the way. I especially like the VA white corn.

The country menu shows the other great thing about VA, if I get sick of seafood, there's always meat, potatoes, vegetables, etc in the western half of the state. Richmond gets the best of everything, being centrally located. Seafood and hawgs to my right, catfish under my feet, fresh veggies and cattle to my left. This place is a paradise.
My Mom and my MIL only use Martha White cornmeal.

CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Wild Wing Cafe is better than BWW. I like my wings super hot also. Just like women. I haven't been to Hooters in a long time, but I used to get either the Three Mile Island or the 911.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:I like my wings super hot also.
I prefer flavor over raw heat. If I want heat, I'll stick my tongue in a blowtorch. The spice adds flavor, great. Heat for the sake of heat? What's the point?
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Maybe "ain't got nothin'" is a little strong but Apalachicola Oysters are ridiculously good. And I consumed many a Chesapeake Bay one in my day. It has been a while because my Uncle (may he RIP) was the man that brought them to me in many versions - all of them awesome.
awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:Which ain't got nothin' on Apalachicola Oysters for the record.
awesome guy wrote:While I'm at it, SF oysters ain't got nothing, nothing I say on chesapeake bay oysters.

mmmm. I want to argue this, but you would have more information. Unless you've been out of Chesapeake Bay oysters for so long that you've forgotten how awesome they are.

I'll add this too, this is one of many reasons why I love VA. Not just for the foods I listed, but the diversity of it. We get a lot of the seafood from the north during the winter (strpped bass, oysters, tautog, etc) and the best from the south during the summer (cobia, redfish, tilefish, shrimp, etc). So we're not a one trick pony and won't have shrimp 4 nights out of the week because it's only in season during the summer. In the winter, we switch to oysters. It's hard to get bored living off the sea here. And then in the spring and fall, blowfish. They should be biting any time now and I want to fill a 120 qt. cooler of them. Mmmm chicken of the sea. Now I'm hungry.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Hokie5150 wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:I like my wings super hot also.
I prefer flavor over raw heat. If I want heat, I'll stick my tongue in a blowtorch. The spice adds flavor, great. Heat for the sake of heat? What's the point?
I think Hooter's Three Mile Island Sauce is good. Good flavor and lots of heat.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Florida Hokie wrote:Why would anyone wait for 2 hours to eat wings?
Hokie5150 wrote:Side One:
Blacks Asked to Leave Wild Wing Cafe because White Customer Felt Threatened
– POSTED ON AUGUST 24, 2013

Once again we are witnessing the true power of social media. You are hearing about this story because one man posted about his experience on Facebook at a Wild Wing Cafe in North Charleston, SC, where his friends and family suffered some “1960′s” style discrimination.

A group of 25 Black people waited two hours to get in a Wild Wing Cafe restaurant in North Charleston, South Carolina, only to be asked to leave almost immediately after entering the restaurant because a white customer felt “threatened” by their presence. One member of the group, MIchael Brown, took his complaint to Facebook when the corporate office of the restaurant did not call him back after placing several calls.

Mr. Brown says he was celebrating his cousin’s last day in Charleston last month at Wild Wing Cafe in North Charleston. He says after his party of 25 peacefully waited two hours for a table, the shift manager told them there was a “situation.”

“She said there’s a situation where one of our customers feels threatened by your party, so she asked us not to seat you in our section, which totally alarmed all of us because we’re sitting there peaceably for two hours,” explains Brown. “Obviously, if we were causing any conflict, we would have been ejected out of the place hours before.”

Brown says while he was talking to the shift manager, someone in his group began videotaping the conversation. Brown says that’s when the manager became upset and refused to seat them.

“I asked her I want to be clear with you,” says Brown. “I said so you’re telling me I have to leave. She said I have a right to deny you service. I said so you’re asking me to leave because you’re upset because he was recording you, after we’ve waited for two hours, and after you’ve already pretty much discriminated on us, and she answered yes.”

Brown told WNEM TV 5 news that several calls were made to the corporate office in Mt. Pleasant, but he says they did not receive a call back, so he posted about his experience on Facebook.

His Facebook post read, “I will never go to Wild wings cafe in N. Chs again! We (Party of 25 family and friends) waited 2hrs, patiently and were refused service because another customer (White) felt threatened by us. This type of racial discrimination is unacceptable and we have to put a STOP TO IT. The manager looked me dead in the face and said she was refusing us service because she had a right to and simply she felt like it. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS ESTABLISHMENT… PLEASE SHARE THIS POST… We need your help.”

Once his post went live and began to circulate around Facebook, he finally got a response from Wild Wings Cafe corporate office. ” We got alerted through social media, so we always encourage our customers to respond to us or to comment on our social media pages,” says Debra Stokes, the chief marketing officer for Wild Wing Cafe.

“We had a conversation,” says Stokes. “It was a really good conversation. He and many of his family and friends were there about a month ago, and they are regular customers of ours. So, they were having a going away party, and they just didn’t receive the experience that they have come to know and love.”

Brown says an apology was offered and a free meal for the entire group, but he says he’s not completely satisfied.

“We weren’t coming there for a free meal. When we came there that night, we were coming to patronize the business. This is not a situation where you can just give us a free meal and everything is ok because it’s deeper than that.” See an employee of Wild Wings’different account of the events
Side Two:
Woman from Wild Wings Contacts Radio Facts, States Black Patrons Asked to Leave for Several Reasons
– POSTED ON AUGUST 26, 2013

Woman from Wild Wings Contacts Radio Facts, States Black Patrons Asked to Leave for Several ReasonsA woman contacted Radio Facts who works at the Wild Wings restaurant that asked the black patrons to leave. and asked that we allow her to be anonymous. She states there are several reasons the group was asked to leave (below) Radiofacts.com,

You’re only getting one side of story here. I work at the restaurant and your representation of the events is way off base. The group was being loud and obnoxious to both customers and staffers. They kept complaining about their long wait and were talking about how “whitey” was able to get seated, but they were not. The problem was that they had a large group and insisted on sitting next to each other. We only had one area that could accommodate their large group and the patrons in that area were not done. So yes, some “whities” were able to be seated before them, but only because they were going to a different area. We also seated non-whites in other areas too…They made this a racial issue before anything. One of the guests also insulted a deaf white girl because she didn’t respond to one of them telling her to move (she was deaf and didn’t hear them) They were also all standing in the middle of the walk way, making it difficult for customers to leave. We asked them if they could move over, but they said they can stand wherever they want, and if we wanted them out of the way then we should seat them. The customer that was offended was offended by a particular individual’s constant uses of the word “n*gger” When asked to stop, he threw out a long string of racial epithets against one of my co-workers.
Same reason people wait 30 minutes in line for a mass produced/fast food/and very overrated burrito at Chipotle..
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

CFB Apologist wrote:Same reason people wait 30 minutes in line for a mass produced/fast food/and very overrated burrito at Chipotle..
Won't do that either...
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Agree. WW Cafe beats BW3 hands down. But I'd take Quaker Steak & Lube over both of them.
CWHOKIECPA wrote:Wild Wing Cafe is better than BWW. I like my wings super hot also. Just like women. I haven't been to Hooters in a long time, but I used to get either the Three Mile Island or the 911.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)