Syria crossed that red line. Only one thing to do,

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

Syria crossed that red line. Only one thing to do,

Post by oaktonhokie »

draw another line. Maybe a pretty blue one this time.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Syria crossed that red line. Only one thing to do,

Post by USN_Hokie »

I thought you were going to say play golf.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:draw another line. Maybe a pretty blue one this time.
We're going to bomb them for 2 days. Telegraph our timeframe and location so all key assets can be protected. This may turn into a big nothing. From the sounds of it, our response will be weak. Just enough to escalate hostility, not enough to make a difference. It's to save face from the redline comment. If we're just bombing for 2 days, it needs to be shock and awe.

Maybe we're bombing the Al Qaeda rebels and minor Syrian targets? Give them the "bad dictator" wrist slap while really putting the hammer on Al Qaeda and the islamic radicals. I would be more in favor for something like that. Tell Al Qaeda "ok, you're our forward observers, hold this laser to lite up the targets for us." And then bomb the source of the laser.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

It is very rude to offer a punch line that is funnier than the one put forth by the author.

USN_Hokie wrote:I thought you were going to say play golf.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Just remember...the United States does not negotiate with Terrorists...
jmac610

Post by jmac610 »

Once the missiles are in the air it will be time to get in a quick 18 holes and develop a response. Either accept the credit or allay the blame depending on which way the winds of perception are drifting.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Does anyone have any idea as to what Obama's foreign policy is? It seems to be cheer leading the overthrow of governments that have been friends to the US government - especially when the over-throwers are tied to radical Muslim groups. That and flooding neighboring countries with guns with the goal of fundamentally changing our 2A civil rights. Beyond that, his foreign policy is incoherent.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
WildTurkE

Post by WildTurkE »

I can't wait for the Discovery Channel special on this one. The Great O will show us real military swagger... against Russia and China.
"Ambition makes me so horny." - Amil
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:It is very rude to offer a punch line that is funnier than the one put forth by the author.

If I were Assad, I'd dare Obama to cross the red tees.. :wink::mrgreen:
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

jmac610 wrote:Once the missiles are in the air it will be time to get in a quick 18 holes and develop a response. Either accept the credit or allay the blame depending on which way the winds of perception are drifting.
Meh it will have to wait until he plays at least 40 games of Spades. :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Does anyone have any idea as to what Obama's foreign policy is? It seems to be cheer leading the overthrow of governments that have been friends to the US government - especially when the over-throwers are tied to radical Muslim groups. That and flooding neighboring countries with guns with the goal of fundamentally changing our 2A civil rights. Beyond that, his foreign policy is incoherent.
I honestly am not sure. We're supporting the overthrow of some of the most benign governments in the area. Egypt in particular was the most puzzling.

Yet, we had the opportunity to do the same for Iran - a country with one of the most secular populations in the region (and thus, most likely to transition to a western democracy) and did nothing. We're just creating dangerous power vacuums.

Personally, I think it's ignorance to even think all these people WANT democracy...or, at least, are ready for it. I think the Russians have it right from a selfish perspective - support the dictators who are most likely to increase stability, then trade crappy arms for oil with them.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Does anyone have any idea as to what Obama's foreign policy is? It seems to be cheer leading the overthrow of governments that have been friends to the US government - especially when the over-throwers are tied to radical Muslim groups. That and flooding neighboring countries with guns with the goal of fundamentally changing our 2A civil rights. Beyond that, his foreign policy is incoherent.
I honestly am not sure. We're supporting the overthrow of some of the most benign governments in the area. Egypt in particular was the most puzzling.

Yet, we had the opportunity to do the same for Iran - a country with one of the most secular populations in the region (and thus, most likely to transition to a western democracy) and did nothing. We're just creating dangerous power vacuums.

Personally, I think it's ignorance to even think all these people WANT democracy...or, at least, are ready for it. I think the Russians have it right from a selfish perspective - support the dictators who are most likely to increase stability, then trade crappy arms for oil with them.
that was our policy too till this admin.

I don't think they're foolishly creating power vacuums, they know who will fill them.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.