New Study Shows Millennials Not Ready for Real World

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

New Study Shows Millennials Not Ready for Real World

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

They really should be named the "snowflake generation." How could society create an entire generation of pussies? This is the EXACT real for why we need to ban political correctness and bring back terms like "man up," and "grow a pair." Perhaps we need to melt all of these snowflakes completely down so we can build them back up to become real adults. Perhaps if they weren't busy worried about gay stuff all the time & superimposing rainbow flags on the FB photos, they would spend a little more time doing useful things like...I don't know..growing up?

========================================

Millennials aren't ready for the 'reality of life' and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety problems, research finds
By Daisy Dunne For Mailonline
Published: 04:38 EDT, 5 July 2017 | Updated: 08:33 EDT, 5 July 2017

Millennials aren't ready for the 'reality of life' and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety problems, new research has revealed.

A study of 2,000 young people preparing to start university found that many aren't ready for the challenges of living independently.

The research found that more than half of prospective students don't know how to pay a bill and that many believe that nights out cost more than paying rent.

Researchers said that many would-be students have been left worried and confused by the prospect of leaving home to start higher education.

The study found 61 per cent of millennials are anxious about the prospect of starting university, while 58 per cent are having trouble sleeping and 27 per cent are having panic attacks.
Millennials aren't ready for the 'reality of life' and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety problems, new research has revealed

Millennials aren't ready for the 'reality of life' and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety problems, new research has revealed

A previous study from California State University found that young people who have casual sex are more likely to suffer from depression.

The experts found higher levels of general anxiety, social anxiety and depression among students who recently had sex with someone they knew for less than a week.

In a study involving 3,900 heterosexual students, 11 percent - the majority of whom were men - said they had engaged in casual sex in the past month and had these symptoms.

Previous studies have found that women respond more negatively to casual sex than men, possibly because of double standards that allow men to have more sexual encounters with a greater number of partners than women.

Students are worryingly unprepared

Researchers said the results suggest many would-be students are worryingly unaware of the challenges of university life.

The poll found that 60 per cent of prospective students believed that they would spend more time in lectures than they did in school lessons.

But in practice, most university subjects take up much less time than school, with students on degree courses such as history often having fewer than ten hours of lectures a week.

And while many participants considered themselves to be good with money, more than half admitted that they do not know how to pay a bill.

Many students were also unaware that paying rent is the biggest cost for students after tuition fees.

Confusion over finances

When asked about their finances, only half of prospective students correctly identified accommodation as their biggest expenditure.

Other participants said they believed their biggest expense after tuition fees would be 'nights out', 'student societies', 'groceries' or 'course materials'.
The study found 61 per cent of millennials are anxious about the prospect of starting university, while 27 per cent are having panic attacks

The study found 61 per cent of millennials are anxious about the prospect of starting university, while 27 per cent are having panic attacks

Researchers have warned that the prospect of leaving home has left ill-prepared millennials feeling anxious and panicked.

Nick Hilman, director of the Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI), who carried out the new research told the BBC that more needed to be done to help students adjust to university.
'Fixing the gap' between school and university

'We know lots about what students think but very little about what those applying to higher education expect to happen when they get there,' said Mr Hillman.

'We set out to fix this gap because people who expect a different student experience to the one they get are less satisfied, learn less and say they are getting less good value for money.'

The research also found that many would-be students with mental health problems aren't planning on informing their university of their condition.

Only one third of prospective students intend to tell their university about an existing mental health problem, raising concerns that institutions will be unable to properly prepare for treatment demands.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z4lxx9xzsi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: New Study Shows Millennials Not Ready for Real World

Post by Florida Hokie »

There is a twenty one year old intern in my office that just wants to work, is always asking how he can get ahead, and is a go-getter from the time he wakes. He does everything he can to get past the classification of "millenial" - there are a lot of kids like him. There are a lot of the other too but all is not lost.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:They really should be named the "snowflake generation." How could society create an entire generation of pussies? This is the EXACT real for why we need to ban political correctness and bring back terms like "man up," and "grow a pair." Perhaps we need to melt all of these snowflakes completely down so we can build them back up to become real adults. Perhaps if they weren't busy worried about gay stuff all the time & superimposing rainbow flags on the FB photos, they would spend a little more time doing useful things like...I don't know..growing up?

Millennials aren't ready for the 'reality of life' and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety problems, research finds

Millennials aren't ready for the 'reality of life' and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety problems, new research has revealed.

A study of 2,000 young people preparing to start university found that many aren't ready for the challenges of living independently.

The research found that more than half of prospective students don't know how to pay a bill and that many believe that nights out cost more than paying rent.

Researchers said that many would-be students have been left worried and confused by the prospect of leaving home to start higher education.

The study found 61 per cent of millennials are anxious about the prospect of starting university, while 58 per cent are having trouble sleeping and 27 per cent are having panic attacks.

A previous study from California State University found that young people who have casual sex are more likely to suffer from depression.

The experts found higher levels of general anxiety, social anxiety and depression among students who recently had sex with someone they knew for less than a week.

In a study involving 3,900 heterosexual students, 11 percent - the majority of whom were men - said they had engaged in casual sex in the past month and had these symptoms.

Previous studies have found that women respond more negatively to casual sex than men, possibly because of double standards that allow men to have more sexual encounters with a greater number of partners than women.

Researchers said the results suggest many would-be students are worryingly unaware of the challenges of university life.

The poll found that 60 per cent of prospective students believed that they would spend more time in lectures than they did in school lessons.

But in practice, most university subjects take up much less time than school, with students on degree courses such as history often having fewer than ten hours of lectures a week.

And while many participants considered themselves to be good with money, more than half admitted that they do not know how to pay a bill.

Many students were also unaware that paying rent is the biggest cost for students after tuition fees.

Confusion over finances

When asked about their finances, only half of prospective students correctly identified accommodation as their biggest expenditure.

Other participants said they believed their biggest expense after tuition fees would be 'nights out', 'student societies', 'groceries' or 'course materials'.

Researchers have warned that the prospect of leaving home has left ill-prepared millennials feeling anxious and panicked.

Nick Hilman, director of the Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI), who carried out the new research told the BBC that more needed to be done to help students adjust to university.

'We know lots about what students think but very little about what those applying to higher education expect to happen when they get there,' said Mr Hillman.

'We set out to fix this gap because people who expect a different student experience to the one they get are less satisfied, learn less and say they are getting less good value for money.'

The research also found that many would-be students with mental health problems aren't planning on informing their university of their condition.

Only one third of prospective students intend to tell their university about an existing mental health problem, raising concerns that institutions will be unable to properly prepare for treatment demands.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:There is a twenty one year old intern in my office that just wants to work, is always asking how he can get ahead, and is a go-getter from the time he wakes. He does everything he can to get past the classification of "millenial" - there are a lot of kids like him. There are a lot of the other too but all is not lost.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:They really should be named the "snowflake generation." How could society create an entire generation of pussies? This is the EXACT real for why we need to ban political correctness and bring back terms like "man up," and "grow a pair." Perhaps we need to melt all of these snowflakes completely down so we can build them back up to become real adults. Perhaps if they weren't busy worried about gay stuff all the time & superimposing rainbow flags on the FB photos, they would spend a little more time doing useful things like...I don't know..growing up?

Confusion over finances

the article is obviously about the UK, not the US but yes I agree there are some young people that are doing fine but the coddling of kids popular in the last two decades has had an affect and is being shown in the younger people of today. Sorry, everyone does not get a trophy and you are not entitled to anything, is a lesson many need to learn.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

My grandniece is in the not ready for the real world category. :(
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Won't change till fathers are raising the kids too, again. The single mother kids act like the bastards history warned us about.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Ugh. I'm married, gainfully employed, and pay our rent and bills on time, so I feel left out.

Quick, some old fart on here tell me how else I can re-establish my millennial street cred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:Ugh. I'm married, gainfully employed, and pay our rent and bills on time, so I feel left out.

Quick, some old fart on here tell me how else I can re-establish my millennial street cred.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

Stop coddling them. The term, Policital Correctness, is for the purpose of silencing other point of views. Stop doing it. Colleges and the Gov't are perpetuating this to further the liberal agenda. Lately, activists are getting more verbally and physically violent to make their opposition back off. And using the tactic of ridicule, laugh at them. They will have a royal meltdown.

Read Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, recognize the techniques and stop falling for them. I read it in college and it is still being given to people when they sign up with some liberal groups.
Good Summary and how to counter it:
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtsch ... e-n2284892

The military would go a long way in correcting this although they are under attack by these groups as well.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Who's a Xennial? I took the quiz and am apparently one even though I was born in 1984.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... e-the-quiz

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

nolanvt wrote:Who's a Xennial? I took the quiz and am apparently one even though I was born in 1984.

I'm guessing you're a Gen-X/Millennial 'tweener. You're young for Gen'X (only about 6 yrs old when grunge went mainstream), but you're old for a Millenial? I think that's a stretch, personally. You turned 17 at the dawn of the millennium, so you should be right in the Millennial wheelhouse.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Ugh. I'm married, gainfully employed, and pay our rent and bills on time, so I feel left out.

Correct
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Join the "#Resistance" or BLM!
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:Who's a Xennial? I took the quiz and am apparently one even though I was born in 1984.

Which Corey did you have a crush on?
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

Of course students are worried about starting college, especially since most have probably never lived away from home.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:Of course students are worried about starting college, especially since most have probably never lived away from home.
Were You? I couldn't wait to leave.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Which Corey did you have a crush on?
Too young to understand who they were. I got my Xennial cred through dial up internet, floppy disks, etc.

VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:Of course students are worried about starting college, especially since most have probably never lived away from home.
I was fortunate to have had siblings who made the transition previously, so I had witnessed it already. I wouldn't be surprised if my oldest sibling was more nervous than I was.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
I was fortunate to have had siblings who made the transition previously, so I had witnessed it already. I wouldn't be surprised if my oldest sibling was more nervous than I was.
I'm the oldest, from a different era, and it was all joy and excitement.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
I'm the oldest, from a different era, and it was all joy and excitement.
Good!
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Mid 70s I wasn't worried. Really didn't cross my mnd.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

I couldn't wait to leave the house.

HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Not me. I was chomping at the bit to get on campus at VT. I loved my time there.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

HokieJoe wrote:Not me. I was chomping at the bit to get on campus at VT. I loved my time there.
Ayup...I was excited to be starting skool at Ferrum Junior College.

If all dirt roads end in Blacksburg then all goat trail end in Ferrum. :D

I'd go weeks w/o going home...maybe 3 times a semester, less during baseball season although we did play/scrimmage R-MC, VCU, VSC, VUU and H-SC so kwik trips home were possible.

Then at Tech I followed pretty much the same "schedule"...home once a month and holidays.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I think all 18yo men should be dying to get out of the house...though, while I couldn't wait to come to VT, I can't say I was "eager" for my first two weeks as a rat. That sucked. I think I took the bus home on breaks only.

Girls are different.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Whenever I see these threads, I hope all of the baby Boomer's realize that they raised millennials to be this way.