UpstateSCHokie

LSU Engineering Program Now Include Microaggression Workshop

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

WTF is the dang world coming to?

=============================
Louisiana State Engineering Symposium Hosts Hour-Long Microaggression Workshop
Rob Shimshock
11:13 AM 07/28/2017

An engineering symposium at Louisiana State University hosted an hour-long microaggression and implicit bias training session, according to a Friday report.

The Consortium for Innovation in Manufacturing and Materials (CIMM) RII Symposium at Louisiana State University held an hour-long workshop on the concepts Monday, reported Campus Reform.

“Who all has had implicit bias, sterotypes, microinsults, microaggressions, and [T]itle IX training?” asks a user who identified as a graduate student on TigerDroppings, an LSU fan forum. “Cause [sic] I’m at an engineering symposium in lod cook [sic] today and have been dealing with snowflakes and trigger warnings all morning. They scheduled an hour for us to learn about all this.”

The user included photos from the workshop featuring post-it notes on which participants wrote microaggressions that they either gave or received.

“I thought all Asians were good at math,” “when people learn that I am from Colorado, they assume I smoke weed,” and “You probably lived on the west side of campus, right?” were among the microaggressions named by participants.

Dr. Jenna Carpenter, engineering dean at Campbell University and Sara Hernandez, an associate dean for inclusion and student engagement at Cornell University conducted the workshop, representing CIMM’s Diversity Advisory Council.

“When faculty and students aren’t aware of implicit bias, they unwittingly engage in behaviors that continue the discrimination and discouragement of women and underrepresented minorities in science, mathematics, and engineering disciplines,” said Carpenter to Campus Reform.

The Daily Caller News Foundation reached out to Carpenter, Hernandez, and LSU for comment but received none in time for publication.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/28/louis ... ceducation

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)