Good call by trump.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
fatman

Good call by trump.

Post by fatman »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -emergency

I'm against the Reagan war on drugs. I don't do pot, but don't believe govt should criminalize it. That is a massive waste of taxpayer $ and human capital.

I do think trump needs to come down like a ton of bricks on Dr's that are overprescribing opioids. I'd ban big pharma from marketing opioids, ban any gift at all to any Dr from a company that sells opioids and stop this at the source. The medical community and big pharma are group zero of this mess and trump should starve their profit incentives.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Good call by trump.

Post by USN_Hokie »

fatman wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -emergency

I'm against the Reagan war on drugs. I don't do pot, but don't believe govt should criminalize it. That is a massive waste of taxpayer $ and human capital.

I do think trump needs to come down like a ton of bricks on Dr's that are overprescribing opioids. I'd ban big pharma from marketing opioids, ban any gift at all to any Dr from a company that sells opioids and stop this at the source. The medical community and big pharma are group zero of this mess and trump should starve their profit incentives.
You think advertising is the problem with opioid addiction?

Doctors are writing the prescriptions. They're doing so because they don't want to get sued.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Doctors are writing the prescriptions. They're doing so because they don't want to get sued.
That's the way it was. It's now hoops and hurdles for us with chronic pain. Meanwhile, the crack heads can still pick them up on the corner.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Agree/disagree.
This opioid thing scares me. Heroin, different/same issue. I've seen nice people die from that shirt.

It's the doctors, but it isn't.
It is the manufacturers, but it isn't.

I don't see a problem with hypothetical 2 opiod manufacturers with competing products, opioidA vs opioidB... and manufacturer A offering responsible incentives to doctors. Really no different than a property insurance company A offering agents golf clubs as a sales incentive while company B offers a trip. The agent is still (theoretically) bound to offer his client the best product at the best price, at the risk of losing his client to another agent.

All in moderation.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Sorry, I don't think legalizing a drug makes things better, marijuana is not good for a human, but if someone wants to kill themselves early then so be it, more social security for those of us that realize getting high is no better than getting drunk every day
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Doctors are writing prescriptions because it's the easy way out. Medicating and masking makes it go away -- until the next visit. They aren't being paid enough, particularly those in rural areas where the opioid problem is most severe, to spend the necessary time to fully diagnose and treat the variety of ailments they are seeing. And their patients are on Medicaid so the reimbursements are small and the paperwork too big to do lengthy evaluations and true treatments.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Doctors are writing prescriptions because it's the easy way out. Medicating and masking makes it go away -- until the next visit. They aren't being paid enough, particularly those in rural areas where the opioid problem is most severe, to spend the necessary time to fully diagnose and treat the variety of ailments they are seeing. And their patients are on Medicaid so the reimbursements are small and the paperwork too big to do lengthy evaluations and true treatments.
I think we're saying pretty much the same thing (and again, advertisements have nothing to do with it).

Almost every doctor will tell you that chronic pain (particularly chronic back pain) is a problem between the ears, not in the back. Why it manifests itself like that, I don't know. But, it's no coincidence that opioids and marijuana are effective in treatment.

Everything you said is true, but the fact is that litigation has forced pain to be treated as a symptom and doctors get sued when patients come in reporting pain and aren't treated for it.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I think we're saying pretty much the same thing (and again, advertisements have nothing to do with it).

Almost every doctor will tell you that chronic pain (particularly chronic back pain) is a problem between the ears, not in the back. Why it manifests itself like that, I don't know. But, it's no coincidence that opioids and marijuana are effective in treatment.

Everything you said is true, but the fact is that litigation has forced pain to be treated as a symptom and doctors get sued when patients come in reporting pain and aren't treated for it.
No they don't, that's just completely false. It's not an imaginary problem at all. Mine looked at the MRI and went over surgery options.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

No they don't, that's just completely false. It's not an imaginary problem at all. Mine looked at the MRI and went over surgery options.
He also said one of the latest thoughts is back muscles create weak scars so the pain may be from old tears reopening.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:No they don't, that's just completely false. It's not an imaginary problem at all. Mine looked at the MRI and went over surgery options.
Now ask your doctor for some statistical evidence of how effective surgery is in reducing chronic back pain. It's not.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Unfortunately some weak people get hooked on opiods and some folks just do not want to deal with life and use medications and drugs to cope. That is sad but nobody is forcing anyone to destroy themselves. I deal with pain everyday, some in my back but mostly in my knee, you deal with it, some people cannot
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:No they don't, that's just completely false. It's not an imaginary problem at all. Mine looked at the MRI and went over surgery options.
Now ask your doctor for some statistical evidence of how effective surgery is in reducing chronic back pain. It's not.
it totally depends on what is causing the pain, my BIL had surgery many years ago and it helped him immensely, I have had friends that have had it and it failed miserably. I have had some back issues but I use some daily exercises to control the pain and keep it to a min.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Sure it is, that's just silly. There are certainly neutral or negative outcomes, but it's mostly positive outcomes. You're not right at all on this and arr lumping in injury, disease, and deformity related back pain with "soft tissue damage" type of stuff, usually for a lawsuit.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

Sorry, I don't think legalizing a drug makes things better, marijuana is not good for a human, but if someone wants to kill themselves early then so be it, more social security for those of us that realize getting high is no better than getting drunk every day

It can, if done correctly. People are more likely to get treated, go to safe places to use needles, etc. which makes things better.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
it totally depends on what is causing the pain, my BIL had surgery many years ago and it helped him immensely, I have had friends that have had it and it failed miserably. I have had some back issues but I use some daily exercises to control the pain and keep it to a min.
Yep. I get spinal injections every 6 months to control mine.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Sure it is, that's just silly. There are certainly neutral or negative outcomes, but it's mostly positive outcomes. You're not right at all on this and arr lumping in injury, disease, and deformity related back pain with "soft tissue damage" type of stuff, usually for a lawsuit.
That's not an argument.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's not an argument.
Claiming it doesn't help isn't an argument
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I bet your BIL was still on opioids after the surgery....
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's not an argument.
I told you to ask for some evidence.

There isn't any. My BIL is a back surgeon and tells me about it all the time.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's not an argument.

So he's claiming to being a fraud?
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Almost every doctor will tell you that chronic pain (particularly chronic back pain) is a problem between the ears, not in the back. Why it manifests itself like that, I don't know.
But, it's no coincidence that opioids and marijuana are effective in treatment.

So physical trauma and nerve inflammation/impingement play no role in back pain?

It's psychosomatic?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

There are more reasons to operate on someone's back than chronic back pain. Again, you should just ask the physician to provide you with some evidence and see how compelling it is.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Unfortunately some weak people get hooked on opiods and some folks just do not want to deal with life and use medications and drugs to cope. That is sad but nobody is forcing anyone to destroy themselves. I deal with pain everyday, some in my back but mostly in my knee, you deal with it, some people cannot
I deal with pain in my butt every day, but I still keep coming back to this board!
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Yep. I get spinal injections every 6 months to control mine.
Acupuncture. As Dr. Wang says, "we don't have pain in China".
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

There are more reasons to operate on someone's back than chronic back pain. Again, you should just ask the physician to provide you with some evidence and see how compelling it is.
I think he's talking about a narrow band of cases and you're thinking or sounding like you're talking about all chronic pain cases. Stenosis is an easy example of surgery relieving chronic pain.