Is Netflix approaching a credibility problem?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Is Netflix approaching a credibility problem?

Post by nolanvt »

While visiting some family in Ohio this weekend, we started to watch the What the Health "documentary". I had heard going in that it had a bit of a vegan slant, but that's probably being nice about it. It only took a few minutes for my BS detector to go off, and we eventually stopped watching after they equated eating an egg to smoking 5 cigs. Of course, I did a little research, and the study they cited for that claim is highly controversial and not peer reviewed.

Which brings me to my original question. Between the distorted/slanted "documentaries" like this one and Making a Murder, should we scrutinize Netflix's credibility? Not doing so could open the door for more distorted programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
CFB Apologist

Re: Is Netflix approaching a credibility problem?

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:While visiting some family in Ohio this weekend, we started to watch the What the Health "documentary". I had heard going in that it had a bit of a vegan slant, but that's probably being nice about it. It only took a few minutes for my BS detector to go off, and we eventually stopped watching after they equated eating an egg to smoking 5 cigs. Of course, I did a little research, and the study they cited for that claim is highly controversial and not peer reviewed.

Which brings me to my original question. Between the distorted/slanted "documentaries" like this one and Making a Murder, should we scrutinize Netflix's credibility? Not doing so could open the door for more distorted programming.

Netflix is in the TV/entertainment business, correct? Thought so.. unless it is live sports or live news filming, it's all "fake", slanted, "hollywood", produced, etc. Do you believe any of the leftist garbage Michael Moore spews? That the US government purposely poisoned Flint's water? That McDonald's purposely adds fat and sugar to their foods to kill black people? Do you believe those "documentaries"? Cuban hospitals are better than Johns Hopkins? really? Of course Netflix is "entertainment", and you should consume it as such, and not the "bible" for anything. And the way people throw out the term "peer review" and have no unearthly idea of what one really is amuses me too- it's now buzz word parody. It's like BG Hokie talking about "3 technique defensive lineman" having never strapped on a helmet.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

It's hilarious when Nolan questions the credibility of anything.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
fatman

Post by fatman »

I don't know that answer but their business model, like uber's, appears to be based on shareholders rewarding ever increasing mountains of debt to keep the lights on.

The ESPN/Disney news today about a rival streaming service is a big problem for Netflix. They are having to spend like crazy to produce original content while their current cheap sources of content disintermediate them and go direct to consumers. HBO and the networks will likely follow the Disney/ESPN lead. Starz already crushed their movie inventory when they cut Netflix out.

For all the BS talk about the demise of ESPN, they'll command top dollar from cord cutters for their exclusive live sports content. All the sports center content is just filler, people will pay for the liv sports.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

That documentary was widely mocked and ridiculed. Documentaries in general are worthless today. Nobody making them has any integrity.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

fatman wrote:I don't know that answer but their business model, like uber's, appears to be based on shareholders rewarding ever increasing mountains of debt to keep the lights on.

The ESPN/Disney news today about a rival streaming service is a big problem for Netflix. They are having to spend like crazy to produce original content while their current cheap sources of content disintermediate them and go direct to consumers. HBO and the networks will likely follow the Disney/ESPN lead. Starz already crushed their movie inventory when they cut Netflix out.

For all the BS talk about the demise of ESPN, they'll command top dollar from cord cutters for their exclusive live sports content. All the sports center content is just filler, people will pay for the liv sports.

HBO already has a direct-to-consumer service.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

fatman wrote:I don't know that answer but their business model, like uber's, appears to be based on shareholders rewarding ever increasing mountains of debt to keep the lights on.
It's worked for Amazon and Google
fatman

Post by fatman »

HokieJoe wrote:

They do, but they currently provide content to Netflix and amazon. I assume they'll get more aggressive and stop distributing to both.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

fatman wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

They do, but they currently provide content to Netflix and amazon. I assume they'll get more aggressive and stop distributing to both.
That wouldn't be very smart. As a value proposition, HBO as a stand alone product isn't that good. They need bundling to survive- just like all of the other movie channels. However, they may try what Showtime does with Hulu.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:It's hilarious when Nolan questions the credibility of anything.
What is funny is that Nolan watched a movie, the opinion was contrary to his, it triggered him, and he could only watch five minutes of it. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Nolan, I actually suffer through entire episodes of Bill Maher(my wife likes it). I stop counting lies after 10 usually.

BTW Nolan, a better plant based diet movie on Netflix is Forks Over Knives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:It's hilarious when Nolan questions the credibility of anything.
What is funny is that Nolan watched a movie, the opinion was contrary to his, it triggered him, and he could only watch five minutes of it. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Nolan, I actually suffer through entire episodes of Bill Maher(my wife likes it). I stop counting lies after 10 usually.

Yep, dude is high comedy.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
I was told that Pandora became more unprofitable as they got more users due to increases royalties. I've always wanted to short that pig, but probably would have gotten crushed.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

The documentary was the epitome of FAKE NEWS!

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
fatman

Post by fatman »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I was told that Pandora became more unprofitable as they got more users due to increases royalties. I've always wanted to short that pig, but probably would have gotten crushed.

It is apparently true. The more users Pandora signs, the more $ they lose. With Amazon music perfectly will to lose mountains of $ to kill off competition and then profit in the long game, they have zero leverage to raise prices. I think they are a zombie company, one of thousands that Amazon will put out of business. I'd say you can short at will, their only exit option is to sell to one of the huge Internet Giants.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Who was that guy we used to have here who was an evangelical vegan? LOL
Animal rights and all... :lol:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Who was that guy we used to have here who was an evangelical vegan? LOL
Animal rights and all... [emoji38]
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Who was that guy we used to have here who was an evangelical vegan? LOL
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
Salute the Marines
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Bigger problem for netflix is the disney announcement as if the networks pull out to do their own thing (which they will, cut out the middleman)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
I'm at a lost, the word vegan usually comes before atheist.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
Chuck was not, he railed on me about owning horses tho, true fruitcake
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
Am I thinking of Uprising, maybe?
It was an atheist.
Chuck was a seminary student at one time, I think.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
The shirt you used to take on old UWS...simply for having horses (which I wish I could!), was astoundingly stupid.
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
Am I thinking of Uprising, maybe?
It was an atheist.
Chuck was a seminary student at one time, I think.
Like Obama's gay lover, you could be making a composite
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
The shirt you used to take on old UWS...simply for having horses (which I wish I could!), was astoundingly stupid.
I still got em, just need more boarders to fund my retirement
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Wasn't ChuckD was it?
Nah...
I still got em, just need more boarders to fund my retirement
Nice. That turd from Fredericksburg that later retired to SML was a piece of work. People like that should just stay north. I'll never understand his infatuation with your horses.