Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Free Market at work

Post by nolanvt »

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Free Market at work

Post by awesome guy »

Uh huh. We know the reaction if they kicked You Can Play off for promoting immoral and repugnant behavior. Nice try though, your "free market" takes are always amusing as the freedom flows in just one direction.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:Uh huh. We know the reaction if they kicked You Can Play off for promoting immoral and repugnant behavior. Nice try though, your "free market" takes are always amusing as the freedom flows in just one direction.
Well, they're not. I can't think of a big-name company who wouldn't host their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Uh huh. We know the reaction if they kicked You Can Play off for promoting immoral and repugnant behavior. Nice try though, your "free market" takes are always amusing as the freedom flows in just one direction.
Well, they're not. I can't think of a big-name company who wouldn't host their site.

LOL
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

LOL
But, alas, their site has been hosted since Day 1 of their organization. They're not getting booted anytime soon because of what the organization does.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ech&wpmm=1

Let's hope Cap'n doesn't get UWS banned for victim blaming as well.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

LOL
But, alas, their site has been hosted since Day 1 of their organization. They're not getting booted anytime soon because of what the organization does.

Because only one side tries to limit speech and personally destroy the other. If only their was a word for this....

Just kidding, we know you won't know that word.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:Because only one side tries to limit speech and personally destroy the other. If only their was a word for this....

Not wanting to do business with the Daily Stormer isn't limiting their speech.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Because only one side tries to limit speech and personally destroy the other. If only their was a word for this....

You'd call it a crime to not want to do business with any LGBWTF group. It's a hilarious double standard.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

You'd call it a crime to not want to do business with any LGBWTF group. It's a hilarious double standard.
Despite the fact that I've sided with businesses in two out of the last suits brought from gay groups. [emoji106]

You are FAKE NEWS!

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Despite the fact that I've sided with businesses in two out of the last suits brought from gay groups. [emoji106]

You are FAKE NEWS!

We know your real position. You're a fake person.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

nolanvt wrote:Not wanting to do business with the Daily Stormer isn't limiting their speech.
Maybe.

Do domain registrars have some sort of government-sanctioned monopoly power?

I assume most people here would agree that someone like, say, Dominion Power should not be permitted to refuse to provide service to a hate group. Dominion Power, having government-sanctioned monopoly power, is required to provide service to anyone within their territory who wants it.

If all of the government-sanctioned registrars refuse to register things they don't like, and the free market is not free to establish a competing registrar, then doesn't that amount to a government-sanctioned restraint on speech?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Not wanting to do business with the Daily Stormer isn't limiting their speech.
Maybe.

I assume most people here would agree that someone like, say, Dominion Power should not be permitted to refuse to provide service to a hate group. Dominion Power, having government-sanctioned monopoly power, is required to provide service to anyone within their territory who wants it.

If all of the government-sanctioned registrars refuse to register things they don't like, and the free market is not free to establish a competing registrar, then doesn't that amount to a government-sanctioned restraint on speech?
They're normally arguing about public accommodation. Not sure how an intellectually consistent person could change course here.
Last edited by awesome guy on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

They're normally arguing about public accommodation. Not sure how an intellectually consistent could change course here.
Intellectual consistency and liberals....lol.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ech&wpmm=1

Let's hope Cap'n doesn't get UWS banned for victim blaming as well.
Funny, the only one posting that material was HooFighter.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

They're normally arguing about public accommodation. Not sure how an intellectually consistent could change course here.
Intellectual consistency and liberals....lol.
I can dream can't I?

They seem to have an instinct that once things settle down they have to go out and manufacture some chaos.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

They're normally arguing about public accommodation. Not sure how an intellectually consistent person could change course here.
Not sure who "they" is, but I'm pretty sure you have argued that the baker, or photographer, or whoever, can choose to serve whoever they want. Why do you feel differently about google and dailystormer?

As for public accommodation, I don't think there is any monopoly on domain registrars. There are probably 2,000 domain registars in the country.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

Not sure who "they" is, but I'm pretty sure you have argued that the baker, or photographer, or whoever, can choose to serve whoever they want. Why do you feel differently about google and dailystormer?

As for public accommodation, I don't think there is any monopoly on domain registrars. There are probably 2,000 domain registars in the country.
Customization vs. standard off the shelf.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

Shhhh

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

All websites are custom with regard to content.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

All websites are custom with regard to content.
Not at that level. It's just a registry and hosting with the customer creating the site.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Maybe.

Google is certainly a monopolist in other areas though.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson