Can someone explain why the media is pumping up Spencer...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Can someone explain why the media is pumping up Spencer...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

...and David Duke? I don't think I had ever heard of Spencer until one of the lefties here posted something about him. He's basically a nobody. And David Duke only seems to appear at times when the left can use him to charge guilt by association. If the media would just ignore these idiots they would just go away. But the media can't ignore them because they are FAR MORE valuable to the left than to anyone on the right.

===================================================

How the Liberal Media Created Charlottesville
John Hawkins
Posted: Aug 14, 2017 12:01 AM

I wish I could say that it’s a shock that someone died in Charlottesville, but I’ve been predicting just this sort of thing in radio appearances for months. The liberal media is dying to blame it all on Donald Trump, but it should look in the mirror.

To begin with, the liberal media is almost entirely responsible for growing the Alt-Right merger of hate groups and internet trolls. Most people are well aware of the stifling political correctness that reached an apex under Barack Obama. People are sick and tired of being attacked and scolded by the humorless left-wing thought police every time they stray from the latest liberal doctrine. That created a large group of people who enjoyed tweaking social justice warriors and some of them realized the easiest way to do that was with racial slurs. Every time some doofus leaves a noose on a college campus or says the N-word, it’s treated like a national crisis. If you’re an anonymous troll who enjoys getting people to react to everything you say, that’s a FEATURE, not a bug. All you have to do is say something racially offensive and all these people who studiously try to ignore you will go out of their minds.

That racial element gave the Nazis, white supremacists and KKK mouth-breathers a way to connect with the more socially adept trolls making the Pepe the Frog memes. Of course, the media liberals fueled them as well with their hypocrisy. They painted EVERY white supporter of Donald Trump or the Republican Party as a racist even as they ignored and defended the vicious anti-white rhetoric that has become commonplace on the Left. Just to give you a quick example of that, there was a hashtag that trended on Twitter after the attack called #ThisIsNotUS. It started out as a way for white liberals to virtue signal, but it quickly turned into an all too typical attack on white people, America and Trump voters. Here are some of the most popular comments from the hashtag…
#ThisIsNotUs Then who is it? 63% of white men & 53% of white women voted for KKK-endorsed Trump. The majority of EVERY OTHER ETHNICITY didn’t

If you are white and you are trying to say #ThisIsNotUs you are part of the problem.

If you're earnestly tweeting #ThisIsNotUS, know that the you might as well have been one of the white supremacists walking w/ tiki torches.

Every white person that tweets #ThisIsNotUs is being complicit in not addressing the rampant racism and bigotry that in their community

#ThisIsNotUS? Easy to say so. Unfortunately you can't have the Black, Brown, Asian, Jewish, Muslim or LGTBQ "experience" to know #THISISYOU

Gaga, prime example of a white woman using tag #ThisIsNotUs like this country wasn’t built on slavery & racism. THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN AmeriKa

#ThisIsNotUs is how white people try to absolve themselves from their complicity in white supremacy; it v much is you, your inaction fuels it
The biggest talking point white supremacists have are comments like these. Would that be true if the mainstream media actually treated these comments with the same sort of contempt it has for the Alt-Right?

Nope.

Yet these sort of comments are MAINSTREAM on the Left. Let me repeat that. They are MAINSTREAM on the Left.

On the other hand, white supremacists are nothing on the Right. David Duke is a joke. Richard Spencer? Let me tell you a little story about Richard Spencer. I was walking around CPAC and noticed an enormous gaggle of media surrounding someone I didn’t recognize, who didn’t seem to be drawing a crowd of regular attendees. As it turns out, the massive group of media people weren’t following a big name. They were following Richard Spencer, who was later kicked out of the conference, presumably because the organizers never wanted him there in the first place.

Yet Richard Spencer, like David Duke before him, is treated like some kind of rock star by the media liberals even though he’s a nobody in the conservative movement. Why? Because they don’t care about conservative opinion. They don’t care about conservative views. They care about creating propaganda that paints the Right as a bunch of hood-wearing, Nazi-saluting scumbags. So, they treat Richard Spencer like a rock star.

This creates a sort of Kim Kardashian effect. Ninety five percent of any influence Spencer has comes from the fact that anything he does is a big deal to the media. Why were Spencer and Duke able to gather even 500 Tiki torch-waving idiots in Charlottesville? Because the media would cover everything they did with bated breath. It gave them a chance to feel important, to feel like they were making an impact. In fact, white supremacists have started to believe their own BS because they keep hearing it from the media. After fighting with Richard Spencer on Twitter, I still remember one of his fans claiming that white supremacists were an essential part of Trump getting elected. My response was….

“Yeah, you guys made a bunch of Holocaust memes & called people cucks and then you're all....’I'm helping.’”

The hardcore racists out there are pariahs everywhere except in the mainstream media, where they’re treated as incredibly important.

On the other hand, the same mainstream media that has elevated the Alt-Right has been silent as violence has increasingly become a mainstay at liberal protests, including the counter-protest of this event. A few shops getting looted or people getting hurt doesn’t stop the media from describing a liberal event as a peaceful protest. Even the counter-protests in Charlottesville were widely described as “peaceful.” Yet, protesters chanted “From the Midwest to the South, punch a Nazi in the mouth,” a female reporter was punched by one of those counter-protesters, the organizer of the rally was hit, and other people were attacked. That’s not peaceful. That’s something LIBERAL POLITICIANS should be asked to condemn.

In other words, Nazi and KKK members are HORRIBLE. The violent liberal counter-protesters are ALSO horrible. James Alex Fields, Jr? Who appears to have marched at the rally before plowing into a crowd? I condemn what he did. I also condemn the Bernie supporter who shot up a congressional Republican softball game. Additionally, I will condemn the next person on the Left or the Right who kills someone over politics, which seems inevitable when you have opposing sides carrying shields and weapons to political rallies. Those condemnations don’t make a damn bit of difference as long as the liberal media keeps elevating white supremacists and excusing the violence of the Alt-Left. I’m genuinely sorry people are dying at political rallies, but it would be surprising if the death at Charlottesville were the last one. Their blood will be on the hands of the liberal media.

https://townhall.com/columnists/johnhaw ... e-n2368137

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Can someone explain why the media is pumping up Spencer.

Post by awesome guy »

See Oakton's post, they're out of powder and now throwing whatever they can. They're assholes.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

A good start would be for Trump to stop retweeting known white nationalists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:A good start would be for Trump to stop retweeting known white nationalists.

[emoji90] [emoji90]
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:A good start would be for Trump to stop retweeting known white nationalists.

A good start would be for Trump to stop tweeting
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

[emoji90] [emoji90]
Just a suggestion.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:...and David Duke? I don't think I had ever heard of Spencer until one of the lefties here posted something about him. He's basically a nobody. And David Duke only seems to appear at times when the left can use him to charge guilt by association. If the media would just ignore these idiots they would just go away. But the media can't ignore them because they are FAR MORE valuable to the left than to anyone on the right.

===================================================

How the Liberal Media Created Charlottesville
John Hawkins
Posted: Aug 14, 2017 12:01 AM

I wish I could say that it’s a shock that someone died in Charlottesville, but I’ve been predicting just this sort of thing in radio appearances for months. The liberal media is dying to blame it all on Donald Trump, but it should look in the mirror.

To begin with, the liberal media is almost entirely responsible for growing the Alt-Right merger of hate groups and internet trolls. Most people are well aware of the stifling political correctness that reached an apex under Barack Obama. People are sick and tired of being attacked and scolded by the humorless left-wing thought police every time they stray from the latest liberal doctrine. That created a large group of people who enjoyed tweaking social justice warriors and some of them realized the easiest way to do that was with racial slurs. Every time some doofus leaves a noose on a college campus or says the N-word, it’s treated like a national crisis. If you’re an anonymous troll who enjoys getting people to react to everything you say, that’s a FEATURE, not a bug. All you have to do is say something racially offensive and all these people who studiously try to ignore you will go out of their minds.

That racial element gave the Nazis, white supremacists and KKK mouth-breathers a way to connect with the more socially adept trolls making the Pepe the Frog memes. Of course, the media liberals fueled them as well with their hypocrisy. They painted EVERY white supporter of Donald Trump or the Republican Party as a racist even as they ignored and defended the vicious anti-white rhetoric that has become commonplace on the Left. Just to give you a quick example of that, there was a hashtag that trended on Twitter after the attack called #ThisIsNotUS. It started out as a way for white liberals to virtue signal, but it quickly turned into an all too typical attack on white people, America and Trump voters. Here are some of the most popular comments from the hashtag…
#ThisIsNotUs Then who is it? 63% of white men & 53% of white women voted for KKK-endorsed Trump. The majority of EVERY OTHER ETHNICITY didn’t

If you are white and you are trying to say #ThisIsNotUs you are part of the problem.

If you're earnestly tweeting #ThisIsNotUS, know that the you might as well have been one of the white supremacists walking w/ tiki torches.

Every white person that tweets #ThisIsNotUs is being complicit in not addressing the rampant racism and bigotry that in their community

#ThisIsNotUS? Easy to say so. Unfortunately you can't have the Black, Brown, Asian, Jewish, Muslim or LGTBQ "experience" to know #THISISYOU

Gaga, prime example of a white woman using tag #ThisIsNotUs like this country wasn’t built on slavery & racism. THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN AmeriKa

#ThisIsNotUs is how white people try to absolve themselves from their complicity in white supremacy; it v much is you, your inaction fuels it
The biggest talking point white supremacists have are comments like these. Would that be true if the mainstream media actually treated these comments with the same sort of contempt it has for the Alt-Right?

Nope.

Yet these sort of comments are MAINSTREAM on the Left. Let me repeat that. They are MAINSTREAM on the Left.

On the other hand, white supremacists are nothing on the Right. David Duke is a joke. Richard Spencer? Let me tell you a little story about Richard Spencer. I was walking around CPAC and noticed an enormous gaggle of media surrounding someone I didn’t recognize, who didn’t seem to be drawing a crowd of regular attendees. As it turns out, the massive group of media people weren’t following a big name. They were following Richard Spencer, who was later kicked out of the conference, presumably because the organizers never wanted him there in the first place.

Yet Richard Spencer, like David Duke before him, is treated like some kind of rock star by the media liberals even though he’s a nobody in the conservative movement. Why? Because they don’t care about conservative opinion. They don’t care about conservative views. They care about creating propaganda that paints the Right as a bunch of hood-wearing, Nazi-saluting scumbags. So, they treat Richard Spencer like a rock star.

This creates a sort of Kim Kardashian effect. Ninety five percent of any influence Spencer has comes from the fact that anything he does is a big deal to the media. Why were Spencer and Duke able to gather even 500 Tiki torch-waving idiots in Charlottesville? Because the media would cover everything they did with bated breath. It gave them a chance to feel important, to feel like they were making an impact. In fact, white supremacists have started to believe their own BS because they keep hearing it from the media. After fighting with Richard Spencer on Twitter, I still remember one of his fans claiming that white supremacists were an essential part of Trump getting elected. My response was….

“Yeah, you guys made a bunch of Holocaust memes & called people cucks and then you're all....’I'm helping.’”

The hardcore racists out there are pariahs everywhere except in the mainstream media, where they’re treated as incredibly important.

On the other hand, the same mainstream media that has elevated the Alt-Right has been silent as violence has increasingly become a mainstay at liberal protests, including the counter-protest of this event. A few shops getting looted or people getting hurt doesn’t stop the media from describing a liberal event as a peaceful protest. Even the counter-protests in Charlottesville were widely described as “peaceful.” Yet, protesters chanted “From the Midwest to the South, punch a Nazi in the mouth,” a female reporter was punched by one of those counter-protesters, the organizer of the rally was hit, and other people were attacked. That’s not peaceful. That’s something LIBERAL POLITICIANS should be asked to condemn.

In other words, Nazi and KKK members are HORRIBLE. The violent liberal counter-protesters are ALSO horrible. James Alex Fields, Jr? Who appears to have marched at the rally before plowing into a crowd? I condemn what he did. I also condemn the Bernie supporter who shot up a congressional Republican softball game. Additionally, I will condemn the next person on the Left or the Right who kills someone over politics, which seems inevitable when you have opposing sides carrying shields and weapons to political rallies. Those condemnations don’t make a damn bit of difference as long as the liberal media keeps elevating white supremacists and excusing the violence of the Alt-Left. I’m genuinely sorry people are dying at political rallies, but it would be surprising if the death at Charlottesville were the last one. Their blood will be on the hands of the liberal media.

https://townhall.com/columnists/johnhaw ... e-n2368137
You should talk to Bannon about that. He's the genesis of Spencer's ascendance.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:

Baby steps.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:

Is there anything that would make you vote for Trump in 2020?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: You should talk to Bannon about that. He's the genesis of Spencer's ascendance.
That's utter bullshit.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: You should talk to Bannon about that. He's the genesis of Spencer's ascendance.
No idea what you're talking about. Link? All I can find is this:

BTW, Joel Pollak is Jewish and worked along side Bannon. In fact most of Breitbart's staff is Jewish. I know that doesnt really fit with the whole "Bannon is a Nazi" narrative though.
=========================

National Public Radio Falsely Links Breitbart to White Separatists
Joel Pollak / Breitbart News

by Joel B. Pollak18 Nov 20161,091
National Public Radio (NPR) is continuing a campaign to defame Breitbart News as a white nationalist website. Even after being set straight on Wednesday, the taxpayer-funded outlet continues to defy the facts in its effort to smear the incoming Trump administration and crush a conservative media upstart.

This time, the lie comes via Kelly McEvers, who filed a slanderous story on Thursday’s edition of All Things Considered: “‘We’re Not Going Away’: Alt-Right Leader On Voice In Trump Administration.”

In it, McEvers suggests that because Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen K. Bannon once told Mother Jones that Breitbart had become “the platform for the alt-right,” Bannon and Breitbart therefore share to the racial separatist ideas of Richard Spencer, one of the people involved in the alt-right movement.

McEvers does not provide any actual evidence that Bannon or Breitbart share Spencer’s ideas. Moreover, she does not even show that Breitbart has ever published anything supportive of Spencer’s ideas. And — crucially — she does not inform listeners that there is no such evidence.

Instead, she suggests that Bannon, and Breitbart, share Spencer’s ideas, with passages such as the following:
What the alt-right wants, Spencer says, is an awakening of identity politics, meaning white identity politics.

The alt-right used to exist mostly on the Internet, but with the rise of Donald Trump and his chief strategist, Steve Bannon, the movement is starting to hold conferences where hundreds of people attend.
Listeners are left to conclude — deliberately, it seems — that Bannon supports “white identity politics” — as well as swastikas and the KKK, to which she refers in her interview with Spencer.

McEvers apparently feels no responsibility to verify whether Bannon or Breitbart actually shares or promotes any of Spencer’s views. She does not even quote or consult NPR content that suggests the opposite.

Evidently NPR editorial policy demands the lie.

The result, ironically, is the “mainstreaming” of extremist ideas through false linkage to a legitimate website and an incoming presidential administration.

And, of course, all at taxpayer expense.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism ... eparatism/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
No idea what you're talking about. Link? All I can find is this:

BTW, Joel Pollak is Jewish and worked along side Bannon. In fact most of Breitbart's staff is Jewish. I know that doesnt really fit with the whole "Bannon is a Nazi" narrative though.
=========================

National Public Radio Falsely Links Breitbart to White Separatists
Joel Pollak / Breitbart News

by Joel B. Pollak18 Nov 20161,091
National Public Radio (NPR) is continuing a campaign to defame Breitbart News as a white nationalist website. Even after being set straight on Wednesday, the taxpayer-funded outlet continues to defy the facts in its effort to smear the incoming Trump administration and crush a conservative media upstart.

This time, the lie comes via Kelly McEvers, who filed a slanderous story on Thursday’s edition of All Things Considered: “‘We’re Not Going Away’: Alt-Right Leader On Voice In Trump Administration.”

In it, McEvers suggests that because Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen K. Bannon once told Mother Jones that Breitbart had become “the platform for the alt-right,” Bannon and Breitbart therefore share to the racial separatist ideas of Richard Spencer, one of the people involved in the alt-right movement.

McEvers does not provide any actual evidence that Bannon or Breitbart share Spencer’s ideas. Moreover, she does not even show that Breitbart has ever published anything supportive of Spencer’s ideas. And — crucially — she does not inform listeners that there is no such evidence.

Instead, she suggests that Bannon, and Breitbart, share Spencer’s ideas, with passages such as the following:
What the alt-right wants, Spencer says, is an awakening of identity politics, meaning white identity politics.

The alt-right used to exist mostly on the Internet, but with the rise of Donald Trump and his chief strategist, Steve Bannon, the movement is starting to hold conferences where hundreds of people attend.
Listeners are left to conclude — deliberately, it seems — that Bannon supports “white identity politics” — as well as swastikas and the KKK, to which she refers in her interview with Spencer.

McEvers apparently feels no responsibility to verify whether Bannon or Breitbart actually shares or promotes any of Spencer’s views. She does not even quote or consult NPR content that suggests the opposite.

Evidently NPR editorial policy demands the lie.

The result, ironically, is the “mainstreaming” of extremist ideas through false linkage to a legitimate website and an incoming presidential administration.

And, of course, all at taxpayer expense.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism ... eparatism/
No one ever confused DC with facts.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Sure, if he starts acting presidential and repents of his innumerable sins and transgressions, I'd vote for him.

But the guy has been a first-rate buffoon from the beginning. He's an embarrassment to the country and to the party.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

But the guy has been a first-rate buffoon from the beginning. He's an embarrassment to the country and to the party.
[emoji375][emoji375]

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Yeah, the Bannon is a nazi" crap is a total nonstarter. BS

Spencer? Duke? If the leftist press didn't bring them up constantly, either would be Bartleby the scrivener right now.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Sure, if he starts acting presidential and repents of his innumerable sins and transgressions, I'd vote for him.

Sorry, I forgot your religious reservations which you've covered before.

I won't derail the thread except to say Trump didn't win by taking the advice of people who would never vote for him. If you're waiting for him to publicly prostrate himself and beg for forgiveness, that's probably never going to happen.

JFK was presidential. Even went to mass every Sunday. He was also raping underage girls in the White House and then pimping them off to cabinet members. Romney, Bob Dole, and McCain were presidential. They were curb stomped with class.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
That's utter bullshit.
Spencer was completely unknown until Breitbart had an article about him.

That's a fact, not bullshirt, Cap'n.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's utter bullshit.

No, he was completely unknown until the MSM made him famous in January. I'd never heard of him before then.

Stop peddling crap, McMuffin Man.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:Yeah, the Bannon is a nazi" crap is a total nonstarter. BS

Spencer? Duke? If the leftist press didn't bring them up constantly, either would be Bartleby the scrivener right now.
Breitbart was the first large outlet to mention him when they called him an intellectual of the alt-right. This was at a time when the alt-right was supporting Trump. And when you have the head of Breitbart tied closely to Trump, and then have Richard Spencer, a meaningful leader of the alt-right, at a rally where people are giving a Nazi salute and saying "Hail Trump", the connection is there. No, it doesn't mean Bannon is a Nazi, or a racist, but the rise of Richard Spencer would not have happened without the alt-right supporting Trump, Spencer being a leader of that movement, and Spencer having a voice on Breitbart.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Breitbart was the first large outlet to mention him when they called him an intellectual of the alt-right. This was at a time when the alt-right was supporting Trump. And when you have the head of Breitbart tied closely to Trump, and then have Richard Spencer, a meaningful leader of the alt-right, at a rally where people are giving a Nazi salute and saying "Hail Trump", the connection is there. No, it doesn't mean Bannon is a Nazi, or a racist, but the rise of Richard Spencer would not have happened without the alt-right supporting Trump, Spencer being a leader of that movement, and Spencer having a voice on Breitbart.
Did you even read my response?
If there was an article on Breitbart, you should be able to pull up the link.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:

For those who aren't aware, this is the genesis for MuffinFanDC's birther-esque fantasies.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/2 ... alt-right/

Be sure to read it carefully or you might miss the reference to him.

DC still hasn't provided any data to back up any of his claims I'll add.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Isn't Breitbart a news outlet? So, they mentioned the guy. Does that make Woodward & Bernstein both Gordon Liddy acolytes? You know... they did mention the guy...
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's utter bullshit.

And I'd never heard of Jeffrey Dahmer until he made the news... so...

C'mon :roll:
Salute the Marines
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Isn't Breitbart a news outlet? So, they mentioned the guy. Does that make Woodward & Bernstein both Gordon Liddy acolytes? You know... they did mention the guy...
The Breitbart article even mentioned he's been accused of racism. That's what MuffinFanDC calls an endorsement.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's utter bullshit.

No, he was completely unknown until the MSM made him famous in January. I'd never heard of him before then.

Stop peddling crap, McMuffin Man.
You saying you hadn't heard of him isn't relevant evidence. You said you'd never heard of him before, back in Nov. '16. Now, you say you hadn't heard about him until January. You're just repeating your programmed bullshirt, and doing it poorly.

Breitbart knew about him. Milo knew about him. Those are not lightly read, or lightly followed, sources.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/2 ... alt-right/