Did we blink on Syria? I think we blinked.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Did we blink on Syria? I think we blinked.

Post by USN_Hokie »

A. Russia is deploying forces to the area.

B. UK seems to have cold feet - they want to wait until the UN inspectors are out (tip: UN inspectors never see sheet).

C. US seems to be doing less sabre-rattling. Obama (for obvious political reasons) wants to make an unclassified version of the intelligence report he was given - I'm sure that staffers in the Pentagon are pulling their hair out over that one. There's also talk of needing a "coalition" (see B.).

Personally, I think doing nothing was the right thing to do - at least, originally. Blinking like this might have longer repercussions, though.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Re: Did we blink on Syria? I think we blinked.

Post by Hokie CPA »

First of all, much as I despise the UN, this is exactly what that POS organization is for. It's not up to any of us to be sabre-rattling... The UN Security Council needs to decide this. And if Russia uses their VETO, then that's it. Gives us just the "Moral Compass" excuse we need to leave the UN and kick them out of New York.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:First of all, much as I despise the UN, this is exactly what that POS organization is for. It's not up to any of us to be sabre-rattling... The UN Security Council needs to decide this. And if Russia uses their VETO, then that's it. Gives us just the "Moral Compass" excuse we need to leave the UN and kick them out of New York.
How can you say the UNSC needs to decide this when you admit they're inept and unwilling to act?
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:First of all, much as I despise the UN, this is exactly what that POS organization is for. It's not up to any of us to be sabre-rattling... The UN Security Council needs to decide this. And if Russia uses their VETO, then that's it. Gives us just the "Moral Compass" excuse we need to leave the UN and kick them out of New York.
How can you say the UNSC needs to decide this when you admit they're inept and unwilling to act?
I'm saying it's a bona fide excuse for leaving the UN. Personally, I think we have too many problems at home to worry about. I don't think we need to be getting involved in Syria any more than we should have done anything in Libya or Egypt. The Obama administration set the precedent when he allowed the Iranian uprising to be put down. If he weren't going to step in there, why the Hell should he step in anywhere else?
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.