UpstateSCHokie

Prof advocates for the 'queering of higher education'

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Tolerance is no longer enough.

===============================
Prof advocates for the 'queering of higher education'
Toni Airaksinen
on Aug 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM EDT

A professor recently published an article in which he “offers recommendations to eliminate repressive, heteronormative practices” in higher-ed.

University of Texas at Tyler Professor Frank Dykes, along with educator John Delport, explain in a recent article that since “LGBTQ issues are marginalized in teacher preparation programs”—the primary focus of their research—“repressive, heteronormative practices” have flourished.

“Heterosexuality is often assumed and institutionally enforced through rituals, daily interactions, and the curriculum,” Dykes and his colleague argue, noting that colleges often do so by using “textbooks that fail to include individuals identifying as LGBTQ.”

Further, the two suggest that teacher-prep programs often use “textbooks that portray homosexuality as something dangerous,” which can lead to “deprecating remarks and stereotypes” in response to the mere mention of terms like “gay” or “lesbian.”

“Historically, LGBTQ communities have been maligned through stereotyping by linking homosexuality with promiscuity, mental illness, disease, child pedophilia, and hypersexuality,” the two educators write. “To this end, pre-service teachers often enter K-12 classrooms perpetuating inaccurate and biased views of gender and sexuality and unobtrusively implement these beliefs in everyday classroom practices."

Meanwhile, the two complain that a lack of “gay role models” conveys “the message that heterosexuality is the only ‘normal sexuality,’” thus subjecting students to “heterosexual norms.”

However, both come to the conclusion that colleges have “significant opportunities to intervene in and interrupt this heterosexism,” offering a number of recommendations for how this could be done.

“Our first recommendation would be for faculty members to confront institutional heteronormativity in higher education,” they explain, encouraging educators to “include the history of the LGBTQ movement in preparation courses” and “include examples of ‘non-traditional’ families” in classroom discussion.

Additionally, they suggest the use of “children’s books addressing gay and lesbian families” to be used in courses that prepare future teachers of young children, which would add to the “queering of higher education itself.”

Finally, they conclude by cautioning educators against promoting religious freedom in schools since it “is often a tool used to exclude and avoid talking about LGBTQ issues.”

“Research studies have found that many educators continue to believe that teachers should not be asked to teach against their religious beliefs,” they add.

The then note that they hope their practices “will be embraced by all teacher preparation programs to advance the field of teacher education and to provide a culturally responsive pedagogy that meets the needs of all constituencies.”

Campus Reform reached out to Dykes for an comment, but he declined.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9653

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
133743Hokie

Re: Prof advocates for the 'queering of higher education'

Post by 133743Hokie »

He's a professor at UT-Tyler, so he can't be too much of an educator. These guys will publish anything to get noticed. I doubt he believes half of what he wrote, but it gets him recognition in academia and a chance to move up.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Prof. Dykes pushing the LBGQT agenda. I guess his/her name fits.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Prof. Dykes pushing the LBGQT agenda. I guess his/her name fits.
I found that funny. Coach Sonny Dykes, on the other hand, is not amused.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Prof. Dykes pushing the LBGQT agenda. I guess his/her name fits.
+1
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Umm.. heterosexuals make up 97% of the worlds population. it IS NORMAL assholes...
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Correct because he got fired for sucking wind with as bunch of NFL players on his roster