BLS reports Americans, for the first time, paid more

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
WestEndHokie39

BLS reports Americans, for the first time, paid more

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

in taxes than for food and clothing combined.

In 2016, according to BLS, “consumer units” (which include families, financially independent individuals, and people living in a single household who share expenses) spent more on average on federal, state and local taxes ($10,489) than they did on food ($7,203) and clothing ($1,803) combined ($9,006).

The average tax bill for American “consumer units” increased from $7,423 in 2013 to $10,489 in 2016, according to data released this week by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/te ... 11-4-years
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: BLS reports Americans, for the first time, paid more

Post by awesome guy »

The biggest gang I know is the government. Unreal that some morons think we're not paying a fair share.

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:The biggest gang I know is the government. Unreal that some morons think we're not paying a fair share.

Less givers, more takers.... its not sustainable
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:The biggest gang I know is the government. Unreal that some morons think we're not paying a fair share.

Less givers, more takers.... its not sustainable
Yep. It's sad that the dopes on the left can't see that till it's too late. They don't really care as crying for more taxes is virtue signaling by them, not a logical thought process.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Yep- as soon as Trump announces the tax cuts, the left will be filling the air with "tax cuts for the rich" memes.

Idiots...
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

The best thing Trump could do to reduce the size of government is remove automatic withholding. We all know why they do it. Most people have no idea what their pre-tax income is.

Make people write huge checks to the government every month and they'll start to care more about what it's spent on.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:The best thing Trump could do to reduce the size of government is remove automatic withholding. We all know why they do it. Most people have no idea what their pre-tax income is.

Make people write huge checks to the government every month and they'll start to care more about what it's spent on.
problem is collecting it, we would have to spend big bucks trying to collect from people, thus why you have withholding, much easier to get from one employer than 20 employees
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:The best thing Trump could do to reduce the size of government is remove automatic withholding. We all know why they do it. Most people have no idea what their pre-tax income is.

problem is collecting it, we would have to spend big bucks trying to collect from people, thus why you have withholding, much easier to get from one employer than 20 employees
It's not supposed to be easy....besides, 90% of those who aren't paying get a "refund" that's bigger than their tax liability to begin with.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

It's not supposed to be easy....besides, 90% of those who aren't paying get a "refund" that's bigger than their tax liability to begin with.
my point is we would have to spend so much to collect it, it would kill overall receipts. I have no issue writing a check to the gov. for taxes, do it for property tax, sales tax, fuel tax and every year it seems for income tax.... but many people would take their sweet time sending the gov. money thus greatly increasing our collection costs
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Yuuuup.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

my point is we would have to spend so much to collect it, it would kill overall receipts. I have no issue writing a check to the gov. for taxes, do it for property tax, sales tax, fuel tax and every year it seems for income tax.... but many people would take their sweet time sending the gov. money thus greatly increasing our collection costs
My point is - the people who don't pay their bills don't pay any income tax anyways. When they go to the rim rental shop to do their taxes in the spring they can go home empty handed and ponder being deadbeats. Won't cost the government any more.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:

Yep- as soon as Trump announces the tax cuts, the left will be filling the air with "tax cuts for the rich" memes.

Idiots...
Yup. This is punishing the middle class......and this is why the Dems will continue to lose. Although the Pubs aren't doing anything to help themselves either.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function