Thoughts on price gouging

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Thoughts on price gouging

Post by awesome guy »

Without market responses, you get people like this woman. Why does she get all the water? With gouging, she's paying $100 a case, but everyone gets a case. Why shouldn't the market sort it all out?

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Mcl3 Hokie

Re: Thoughts on price gouging

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

All the store needs to do is limit the purchase to a set quantity.
awesome guy wrote:Without market responses, you get people like this woman. Why does she get all the water? With gouging, she's paying $100 a case, but everyone gets a case. Why shouldn't the market sort it all out?

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I've been waiting for a gouging thread.

Having been through Isabelle, I would have happily paid $8/gal for gas. Alas, the government put heavy pressure on everyone to not gouge and it was all gone when I returned to the area.

Only retards hate free markets.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:All the store needs to do is limit the purchase to a set quantity.
awesome guy wrote:Without market responses, you get people like this woman. Why does she get all the water? With gouging, she's paying $100 a case, but everyone gets a case. Why shouldn't the market sort it all out?

And then when the orphanage comes in with 100 people to hydrate?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Great commentary about price gouging.

http://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opi ... 0856e.html
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:Great commentary about price gouging.

http://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opi ... 0856e.html
Great article.

The merchant is also screwed as they're going to be shut down and unable to restock after the last item is gone. Gouging pays for their downtime.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

And when she buys all of that water, she is just going to turn around and sell it for $50/case.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Agree. Good to see some conservatism in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:And when she buys all of that water, she is just going to turn around and sell it for $50/case.
I'd buy bottles and sell out of my tap for $75. "Spring water", I use a front spring from an old Chevy to hold the bottles as I fill them ;)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Hording bottled water before a storm is dumb.

Hell just go buy some 55 gallon or 85 gallon trash containers and fill them with water from your tap...use 2 or 3 for your own use.

Then fill the rest with tap water, wash out and rinse several plastic milk jugs (½ gallon and gallon) and sell it for $10 a gallon undercutting the gougers....paying for the trash containers. The rest is profit.

That is the "free market" :!:

I keep two 55 gallon containers filled with tap water in my basement and rotate them out every month...if I have 3 days notice then hell I can quadruple that easily. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:Hording bottled water before a storm is dumb.

Hell just go buy some 55 gallon or 85 gallon trash containers and fill them with water from your tap...use 2 or 3 for your own use.

Then fill the rest with tap water, wash out and rinse several plastic milk jugs (½ gallon and gallon) and sell it for $10 a gallon undercutting the gougers....paying for the trash containers. The rest is profit.

I keep two 55 gallon containers filled with tap water in my basement and rotate them out every month...if I have 3 days notice then hell I can quadruple that easily. :D
You can also fill them up with the rain from the storm, if you strap them good.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Yep!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:You can also fill them up with the rain from the storm, if you strap them good.
Not if the "State" considers sheet flow their water. :mrgreen:

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Yep. If you live in an apartment, you could fill up a bathtub...they even make kits for it if you're feeling spendy:

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:You can also fill them up with the rain from the storm, if you strap them good.
Is it sheet flow if it never hits the ground (serious question)?
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
Is it sheet flow if it never hits the ground (serious question)?
Not necessarily the ground but better described as a surface. :) It's actually a pretty involved and difficult process...of course the gubment is involved. :mrgreen:

Some States have held in the past that all precipitation belongs to the State. The process of even catching rainwater in a rain barrel deprives other citizens of the right to use the runoff. Now for the most part household collection of precipitation is OK but anything other than that requires permitting.

Then we have MD & IL taxing rainfall but not doing anything to remediate storm water runoff from households.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Yo yo yo, check it out, who be wanting an ounce?

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I will be filling 10 30 gallon trash cans sunday from our well to use for the horse water tanks and for the dogs if we lose power for an extended time, for me, no power = no water
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

It's good to be a homebrewer. I have plenty of buckets and kegs I can fill if necessary. I also have a propane burner which works well in power outages.

If all else fails people could use their hot water heaters. That's a good amount of water, more than people drink in 3 weeks on Naked and Afraid.
People who know, know.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

TheH2 wrote:It's good to be a homebrewer. I have plenty of buckets and kegs I can fill if necessary. I also have a propane burner which works well in power outages.

If all else fails people could use their hot water heaters. That's a good amount of water, more than people drink in 3 weeks on Naked and Afraid.
I've looked into homebrewing...my dad used to make wine but I've never been much of a wine drinker.

I believe I'm going to give beer making a whirl here soon.

I have an old Coleman propane stove that still works real gooderly, a couple of Coleman lanterns, several of these new LED lanterns, a nice whole home diesel generator and enough diesel fuel to last a long while, toilet paper, peanuts, guns and ammo. :D