Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan eliminating debt ceiling

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nova1111

Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan eliminating debt ceiling

Post by nova1111 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 6d6a13ce16

Article says they hope to have it ready by December.

BTW, Senate approved a $15+ billion disaster relief bill, doubling the House amount.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan eliminating debt cei

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nova1111 wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 6d6a13ce16

BTW, Senate approved a $15+ billion disaster relief bill, doubling the House amount.
well we can spend like crazy.... but sooner or later it is going to doom this country. I don't have any kids so when the crap blows up I will probably be dead so I say spend like crazy. Some other people may think differently

FYI, Irma will make Harvey look like a happy meal, multiply that 15B by 8 or 9 times and you may get close to what will be required for the FL and islands rebuilds
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Reality is the debt ceiling has become meaningless. It is used for political theater but is automatically extended. It serves no purpose so why have it.
nova1111

Post by nova1111 »

133743Hokie wrote:Reality is the debt ceiling has become meaningless. It is used for political theater but is automatically extended. It serves no purpose so why have it.
That's way too sensible.

It's just that some,people want three shots at the target. First they authorize a program in substantive legislation, with whatever funding authorization (and limitation) is included. Then the appropriation process authorizes program expenditures during each fiscal year, with whatever restrictions are included.

Then they want another shot at it. They want to wratchit down on honoring any US securities that might come due -- securities which Treasury has a legal duty to issue to get cash in excess of available revenue to meet expenditures under previous appropriations and under program legislation.

In other words, we might authorize a program, and we might appropriate and expend for a program, but don't count on us to honor any debt we issue in connection with the program. That's plain ordinary horse manure.

If you want to restrict, then man up and do it in the program authorization legislation, or in the annual appropriations. Don't try and take it out on good faith buyers of US securities and other debt on the open market.

Those buyers are holding US securities they've bought from us with their cash. We default and we've stiffed those good faith buyers. And those buyers include numerous governments who look to us as a good place to invest reserves.

God knows what the impact of that would be in world securities markets. We've been the safe haven. It'd be chaos. To talk about whether or not to default is absurd, so absurd it's ridiculous to take up such a clown topic.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

well we can spend like crazy.... but sooner or later it is going to doom this country. I don't have any kids so when the crap blows up I will probably be dead so I say spend like crazy. Some other people may think differently

FYI, Irma will make Harvey look like a happy meal, multiply that 15B by 8 or 9 times and you may get close to what will be required for the FL and islands rebuilds
Trump is coming home Cleetus.

Isolated, Trump embraces New York friends -- and instincts - CNN
https://apple.news/AIrl1LDWbSf2R2Z7H0PzK5g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Trump is coming home Cleetus.

Isolated, Trump embraces New York friends -- and instincts - CNN
https://apple.news/AIrl1LDWbSf2R2Z7H0PzK5g

you are hanging your hat on a meaningless item like the debt ceiling? really? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:Reality is the debt ceiling has become meaningless. It is used for political theater but is automatically extended. It serves no purpose so why have it.
True, but that doesn't have to be the way it works.

I'm all for any speed bumps to slow the growth of government, and I'm also for anything which occupies congress doing bullshit instead of finding new ways to spend our grandchildren's (but not IP's since he won't support the welfare state he benefits from by having any) tax dollars.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

I'm all for any speed bumps to slow the growth of government, and I'm also for anything which occupies congress doing bullshit instead of finding new ways to spend our grandchildren's (but not IP's since he won't support the welfare state he benefits from by having any) tax dollars.
Pass a damn budget!
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Pass a damn budget!
Because everything costs exactly what politicians predict it will!

/sarcasm.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

So you disagree with Trump's move, and his friendship with Chuck?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

He's coming home Cap'n.

Pelosi and Schumer Say They Have Deal With Trump to Replace DACA
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/us/p ... acare.html

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

He's coming home Cap'n.

Why didn't you vote for him since he's supposedly You? You wouldn't be full of crap, would you? <Shocked face>
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

He's coming home Cap'n.

Why didn't you vote for him since he's supposedly You? You wouldn't be full of crap, would you? <Shocked face>
Hi AG. I thought, and think, he lacks the temperament for the position big buddy.

Are you guys pissed that he's abandoning the racist necks, or just go with the flow?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

He's coming home Cap'n.

Hi AG. I thought, and think, he lacks the temperament for the position big buddy.

Are you guys pissed that he's abandoning the racist necks, or just go with the flow?

You clearly don't think much. What was it?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

He's coming home Cap'n.

Ask someone to read and explain my answer to you.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: True, but that doesn't have to be the way it works.

He's coming home Cap'n.

Your answer was written by a moron so what do you expect?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: He's coming home Cap'n.

Your answer was written by a moron so what do you expect?
OK big buddy.