Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

Back up linebacker, tavante beckett charged with

Post by oaktonhokie »

distribution and selling of marijuana.

He is suspended indefinitely.

If guilty, i hope they throw in out of school and into prison. That is SEC behavior imo.

Please go away.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Back up linebacker, tavante beckett charged with

Post by HokieHam »

Wow......how dumb.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:distribution and selling of marijuana.

If guilty, i hope they throw in out of school and into prison. That is SEC behavior imo.

Please go away.
I suspect he will be thrown out of school, especially if he was on campus. Should college marijuana dealers be placed in prison? Is that common for pot dealers? My guess, assuming he's a typical college dealer selling for personal use is that he wouldn't see any jail time. Nonetheless, a mistake that will likely have ramifications for the rest of his life.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

You make a fair point, BG. Assuming that he did not get the special, football players' discount on the charges and all he did was distribute some marijuana for personal use and spending money.

Color me skeptical , but your point is valid.

I just don't want that garbage in my school or representing my school on the field. This is not the SEC, or Miami.

Please go away.

BG Hokie wrote:

Please go away.
I suspect he will be thrown out of school, especially if he was on campus. Should college marijuana dealers be placed in prison? Is that common for pot dealers? My guess, assuming he's a typical college dealer selling for personal use is that he wouldn't see any jail time. Nonetheless, a mistake that will likely have ramifications for the rest of his life.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:Assuming that he did not get the special, football players' discount on the charges and all he did was distribute some marijuana for personal use and spending money.
He had a golden ticket and blew it. Players get all kinds of perks on campus, so I don't have any sympathy for arguments that he needed supplemental income.

If true, good riddance.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Please go away.
I think he should get a couple of games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

He probably would have if it had been one incident. My understanding is the coaches new about the first incident and had a chat with the young man. He was remorseful and said it wouldn't happen again. Well, there was a second incident in September. I don't think he's suspended for the reefer as much as he straight out lied to the coaches and now cant be trusted. It wasn't a one strike and out policy.
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Please go away.
I think he should get a couple of games.

BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

I'm not sure what you're skeptical of... Do you think he was a 19 year old kingpin marijuana dealer?

The scary thing, as a football fan, is that he probably supplied a bunch of teammates and there is rumor that this might not be the last suspension related to this...
oaktonhokie wrote:You make a fair point, BG. Assuming that he did not get the special, football players' discount on the charges and all he did was distribute some marijuana for personal use and spending money.

I just don't want that garbage in my school or representing my school on the field. This is not the SEC, or Miami.

Please go away.

BG Hokie wrote:

Please go away.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:I think he should get a couple of games.

At an SEC school, he would sit for one quarter. Against the University of Southern North Dakota.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Do we only prosecute drug kingpins now?

And you're right of course, there is no way that a innocent young lad of 19 years could be heavily into drug sales. And if the chips fall at the entire team is selling drugs, throw all the bums out.

I love my team, but I love my school more.

BG Hokie wrote:I'm not sure what you're skeptical of... Do you think he was a 19 year old kingpin marijuana dealer?

The scary thing, as a football fan, is that he probably supplied a bunch of teammates and there is rumor that this might not be the last suspension related to this...
oaktonhokie wrote:You make a fair point, BG. Assuming that he did not get the special, football players' discount on the charges and all he did was distribute some marijuana for personal use and spending money.

Please go away.

BG Hokie wrote:

Please go away.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

If McBride Hall wasn't named after a guy who fought in the civil war, this never would have happened.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

oaktonhokie wrote:Do we only prosecute drug kingpins now?

And you're right of course, there is no way that a innocent young lad of 19 years could be heavily into drug sales. And if the chips fall at the entire team is selling drugs, throw all the bums out.

There seems to be some dispute over whether he is actually charged with *selling* or with *intent to distribute*. The former means actually selling (either an undercover buy/bust or someone was caught with drugs and gave him up as their dealer) and the latter could just mean that he had a lot and they are inferring from the quantity that he was a dealer, even if it was just his own personal stash.

(I have five 12-count boxes of soda at my house. I'm not a soda dealer, but if I had a similar number of servings of marijuana, I would be charged with intent to distribute. I'm not saying that anything he did is right or even less wrong, just clarifying that he isn't necessarily a drug dealer if the charge was "intent to distribute".)
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:

There seems to be some dispute over whether he is actually charged with *selling* or with *intent to distribute*. The former means actually selling (either an undercover buy/bust or someone was caught with drugs and gave him up as their dealer) and the latter could just mean that he had a lot and they are inferring from the quantity that he was a dealer, even if it was just his own personal stash.

(I have five 12-count boxes of soda at my house. I'm not a soda dealer, but if I had a similar number of servings of marijuana, I would be charged with intent to distribute. I'm not saying that anything he did is right or even less wrong, just clarifying that he isn't necessarily a drug dealer if the charge was "intent to distribute".)
from watching the live PD shows on the weekend it appears intent to distribute is usually tied to amount and wether the person has say alot of cash on them or other drug items that relate to selling like packaging or scales or so forth.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Not sure how one could completely misinterpret my question with a complete non answer. I'm curious what you're skeptical of...

BG Hokie wrote:I'm not sure what you're skeptical of... Do you think he was a 19 year old kingpin marijuana dealer?

Please go away.

BG Hokie wrote:

Please go away.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Apologies if my answer was not complete. I answered you silly statement about the kingpin thing. Thought the reason for my skepticism was obvious.

Try this....I'm am not convinced that he was charged with everything he could have been charged with. He's a football player in a football crazy school. They get certain, advantages.

For example, if he had been caught selling nuclear material to the north koreans, he may have been charged with third degree misdemeanor theft.

If you need still more information, don't hesitate to ask.

BG Hokie wrote:Not sure how one could completely misinterpret my question with a complete non answer. I'm curious what you're skeptical of...

Please go away.

BG Hokie wrote:

Please go away.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

A half oz in Va is "intent to sell"
For you beer guys, that would be the pot equivalent of like a case or two of beer.

Prison?! Without knowing details? LOL.
C'mon.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:A half oz in Va is "intent to sell"
For you beer guys, that would be the pot equivalent of like a case or two of beer.

C'mon.
.5oz to 5lbs.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:A half oz in Va is "intent to sell"

C'mon.
To be fair - I'd call it a keg.

But I agree - merely holding a large quantity, alone, should not be sufficient to prove intent to distribute. That's a BS law.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

I'm surprised at your skepticism with respect to law enforcement. Your paranoia stinks of BLM. I believe his charge is a felony one. Your skepticism is what's silly because if you think he likely got a lighter charge than the logic says you think he's much more than a low level pot dealer. So what is he? A coke dealer? A major moving weight pot dealer (kingpin charges) or what? If the cops were crooked, we wouldn't know about this at all... Stop acting like BLM!
oaktonhokie wrote:Apologies if my answer was not complete. I answered you silly statement about the kingpin thing. Thought the reason for my skepticism was obvious.

Try this....I'm am not convinced that he was charged with everything he could have been charged with. He's a football player in a football crazy school. They get certain, advantages.

For example, if he had been caught selling nuclear material to the north koreans, he may have been charged with third degree misdemeanor theft.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:I'm surprised at your skepticism with respect to law enforcement. Your paranoia stinks of BLM. I believe his charge is a felony one. Your skepticism is what's silly because if you think he likely got a lighter charge than the logic says you think he's much more than a low level pot dealer. So what is he? A coke dealer? A major moving weight pot dealer (kingpin charges) or what? If the cops were crooked, we wouldn't know about this at all... Stop acting like BLM!
oaktonhokie wrote:Apologies if my answer was not complete. I answered you silly statement about the kingpin thing. Thought the reason for my skepticism was obvious.

Huh?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

What the hell?

If you don't have blind allegiance to the agents of the state, you're in league with BLM?

Good grief.
BG Hokie wrote:I'm surprised at your skepticism with respect to law enforcement. Your paranoia stinks of BLM. I believe his charge is a felony one. Your skepticism is what's silly because if you think he likely got a lighter charge than the logic says you think he's much more than a low level pot dealer. So what is he? A coke dealer? A major moving weight pot dealer (kingpin charges) or what? If the cops were crooked, we wouldn't know about this at all... Stop acting like BLM!

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

What in the world are you babbling about?

BLM?
Agents of the state?

Who is paranoid?

I never said he was a drug kingpin. I only said he may have gotten a discount on the charges. Do you think that is remotely possible?

There was a decent point earlier, saying in effect that his punishment should not be stiffer then it would be for any other student. I agree.

But it should not be discounted because he's a football player.

EDIT.... Post is in response to BG.

BigDave wrote:What the hell?

If you don't have blind allegiance to the agents of the state, you're in league with BLM?

Good grief.