NFL viewership declines is not about kneeling or Trump.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
fatman

NFL viewership declines is not about kneeling or Trump.

Post by fatman »

The trends started before the no talent QB started protesting. The decline is viewership for all sports, including nascar, is a decline not inline with political issues, but with cord cutters. ESPN is the same issue. They are bloated with filler content, which is not compelling for me or many others, and is occasionally offputting to republican viewers. ESPN could strip the political content and it wouldn't make much difference in their ratings.

For the record, I hate to see the nfl players protest the national anthem on sep 11. That is infuriating, but it doesn't explain the reason for the nfl ratings drop, which started before the protest from the SF QB.

It is embarrassing for the country that the only show whose ratings aren't declining with cord cutting is the bachelor. That makes you worry about the future. The cable bundle is under fire and will be disrupted more fundamentally soon enough. That will be brutal for ESPN/Disney.

The article is spot on about jobs as well. The positive trends have slowed since trump took office, so his blasting of Obama for better numbers that he is bragging about now is something only a partisan could embrace. I still think the gloom and doom on jobs was unwarranted, so I've got no issues with job creation thus far in trumps admin. He is close to obamas trend lines, which were damn good and difficult to impossible for trump to surpass.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ts/541173/
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: NFL viewership declines is not about kneeling or Trump.

Post by awesome guy »

Nope. NASCAR decline is from them getting political too. Politics touching entertainment is too volatile.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

It did start before the NA madness, but it was always due to politics - the Kaepernick crap accelerated the trend IMO.

For me, I stopped watching altogether maybe 5(?) years ago when the virtue signaling became too much. Things like breast cancer awareness (there's big money to be made in non profits....) month which have nothing to do with teamwork, camaraderie, competition - the reasons why people watched football.

Another good example is the stupidity over team names. Even though Dan Snyder held firm to his credit, he was pretty much left to fend for himself.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Nope. NASCAR decline is from them getting political too. Politics touching entertainment is too volatile.
Yeah, the nascar mess was definitely political. I think some of the rule changes were atrocious as well. Either way, it wasn't cord cutters.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

The NFL should be less affected by cord cutting since most of their games are network TV.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Political and they got greedy. Alienated a lot of their fans by dropping the smaller tracks for corporate money at big speedways. Football is following that same mistake. Prices are way out of line. My 4 seats would cost me $5000 per year before parking and concessions. I dumped them last year right after Kaperdick started his crap and the NFL went limp wristed on the subject. Broker bought them from me for a $5,000 buyout. I looked on line and my seats were selling for half price last week. Glad I got out when I did.

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Nope. NASCAR decline is from them getting political too. Politics touching entertainment is too volatile.
Yeah, the nascar mess was definitely political. I think some of the rule changes were atrocious as well. Either way, it wasn't cord cutters.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
What did NASCAR do to piss off the rednecks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:What did NASCAR do to piss off the rednecks?

Turned it into a big corporate circle jerk like the WWE.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Major Kong wrote:

Right. NASCAR died because of greed and shifting away from the South. Politics didn't really have anything to do with that.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Right. NASCAR died because of greed and shifting away from the South. Politics didn't really have anything to do with that.

BS. They had their own Confederate Flag kerfuffle, for example. They tried to diversify to appeal to a larger audience demographic, and alienated their primary viewers.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Absolutely correct. Their greed drove them to political stances that alienated the fan base that made them. The NFL is on a similar track.
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

BS. They had their own Confederate Flag kerfuffle, for example. They tried to diversify to appeal to a larger audience demographic, and alienated their primary viewers.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Absolutely correct. Their greed drove them to political stances that alienated the fan base that made them. The NFL is on a similar track.

Exactly. I don't see why someone would assert that greed & political stances are mutually exclusive.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

I'm not buying the Confederate flag thing. If that were the case, SEC football would have suffered an impact as well, but we all know college football is more popular than ever in the South. Leaving the South for more races and inconsistent start times are your better arguments.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Absolutely correct. Their greed drove them to political stances that alienated the fan base that made them. The NFL is on a similar track.
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Wasn't greed as much as the owners are the third generation and so are spoiled libtards. They're like IP and are embarrassed by their inheritance and tried turning it into something their New England friends would enjoy.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:I'm not buying the Confederate flag thing. If that were the case, SEC football would have suffered an impact as well, but we all know college football is more popular than ever in the South. Leaving the South for more races and inconsistent start times are your better arguments.

No one ever confused you with facts.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Exclusive poll: 62% of NFL fans plan to watch less football
Rick Newman

Is it a passing storm or an existential problem? That’s a key question for the NFL as it grapples with the mushrooming controversy of players kneeling in protest during the national anthem, and President Donald Trump’s persistent bashing of the kneelers.

A new Yahoo Finance poll suggests the NFL has an enduring problem on its hands. Nearly 62% of 9,056 respondents told us they plan to watch less pro football in response to the anthem controversy. Thirty-six percent said they plan to buy less NFL merchandise, and 32% have chosen not to attend a game they would otherwise have gone to. Those findings all have financial implications for the NFL and its 32 team owners.

We wanted to limit our survey, conducted online via SurveyMonkey from Sept. 28-29, to people who patronize the NFL, and exclude people who have an opinion but don’t watch football. So we only counted answers from people who describe themselves as pro football fans. Eighty-eight percent of respondents said they watch at least one game per week, with 46% of those saying they watch more than two games.

(Here are the full survey results. The number of responses varies from question to question because some respondents skipped questions or were directed further down the survey based on answers they gave. A note about the results: In Question 9, 80% of respondents said they plan to watch less football on TV. But that’s only among people who answered yes to Question 8, asking if they have changed their behavior. When including the people who answered no to Question 8, the portion saying they plan to watch less football drops to 62%.)

The NFL’s anthem controversy is becoming one of the most divisive social issues in recent years, with Trump’s comments fanning the flames. Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick kicked off the protests last year, when he began kneeling during the anthem to protest police brutality. A few other players followed his lead, but the kneelers were a sideshow and football was mostly about football.

That changed on Sept. 22, when Trump gave a fiery speech in Alabama blasting the kneelers. He described Kaepernick, without mentioning him by name, as a “son of a bitch” and called on NFL owners to fire any player who kneels during the anthem. Trump has kept up his crusade since then, mostly on Twitter, provoking many players to kneel in solidarity with Kaepernick. Owners, meanwhile, have been struggling to keep fans happy without politicizing what, for most, is a form of entertainment.

The issue divides fans at least as much as it divides players. In a recent Seton Hall Poll, 84% of respondents said they support the players’ right to protest. But only 35% said kneeling during the anthem was the right way to do it. In the Yahoo Finance survey, we asked specifically if people felt it was wrong for players to kneel during the anthem. Seventy-seven percent said yes, 20% said no and just 2% said they weren’t sure. (The numbers don’t add to 100 because of rounding.)

In our survey, we wanted to suss out whether the anthem flap could deal a lasting financial hit to the NFL. The answers suggest it could. When we asked fans if the controversy would make them more or less supportive of the NFL, 71% said less and only 15% said more. Of those who said they are now less supportive, 74% said their change of heart was permanent, and only 3% said they felt it was temporary. Public attitudes are fickle, and it’s entirely possible boredom with the issue — or terrifically exciting football — could make people forget before long. The NFL, after all, has faced other disturbing issues that didn’t seem to dent its popularity.

We promoted our survey on the Yahoo Finance home page, and on our Twitter and Facebook accounts. So responses reflect the characteristics of the Yahoo Finance audience, which skews more toward wealthier white males than the broader population.

But that may actually be worse news for the NFL, especially since a startling majority of respondents in our survey show a striking disregard for the future of the league. When asked their view if the anthem flap were to cause the NFL lasting harm, 47% said they’d be pleased and 30% said they wouldn’t care. Only 10% said it would bother them. For football fans, it once seemed hard to imagine life in America without the NFL. Some fans seem to be rethinking that.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusiv ... 08368.html

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Supporting disrespect of our flag and cops is an extreme position, even amongst libtards. The NFL will stop this silliness as they feel it in the wallet.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

fatman wrote:The trends started before the no talent QB started protesting. The decline is viewership for all sports, including nascar, is a decline not inline with political issues, but with cord cutters. ESPN is the same issue. They are bloated with filler content, which is not compelling for me or many others, and is occasionally offputting to republican viewers. ESPN could strip the political content and it wouldn't make much difference in their ratings.

For the record, I hate to see the nfl players protest the national anthem on sep 11. That is infuriating, but it doesn't explain the reason for the nfl ratings drop, which started before the protest from the SF QB.

It is embarrassing for the country that the only show whose ratings aren't declining with cord cutting is the bachelor. That makes you worry about the future. The cable bundle is under fire and will be disrupted more fundamentally soon enough. That will be brutal for ESPN/Disney.

The article is spot on about jobs as well. The positive trends have slowed since trump took office, so his blasting of Obama for better numbers that he is bragging about now is something only a partisan could embrace. I still think the gloom and doom on jobs was unwarranted, so I've got no issues with job creation thus far in trumps admin. He is close to obamas trend lines, which were damn good and difficult to impossible for trump to surpass.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ts/541173/
It was in decline
That decline has been recently accelerated by the protests.
Leave it to the Atlantic to attempt to provide cover for LWNJobbery.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nascar messed up by getting to boring, the cars are the same no matter the brand, the tracks are all very similar and they expanded into areas that the interest is not that great. Add in pricing normal people out of events due to ticket prices and the loss of some of the older drivers and the inevitable is happening.

But it is an overall sport problem also, attendance and ratings are down across the board for all sports from what I see
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nascar messed up by getting to boring, the cars are the same no matter the brand, the tracks are all very similar and they expanded into areas that the interest is not that great. Add in pricing normal people out of events due to ticket prices and the loss of some of the older drivers and the inevitable is happening.

But it is an overall sport problem also, attendance and ratings are down across the board for all sports from what I see
Correct. I checked out of NASCAR except for the Daytona 500 in the mid-2000s.

HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Politics and sports are a bad mix. In fact, with few exceptions, business/entertainment should ALWAYS stay away from politics. It's bad business.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Correct. I checked out of NASCAR except for the Daytona 500 in the mid-2000s.

Time to double check work if Nolan thinks you're right.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

They tried to diversify to appeal to a larger audience demographic, and alienated their primary viewers.
How does this alienate their primary viewers? Juan Pablo Montoya gets a car and suddenly necks are pissed?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

They tried to diversify to appeal to a larger audience demographic, and alienated their primary viewers.
How does this alienate their primary viewers? Juan Pablo Montoya gets a car and suddenly necks are pissed?
Not that, closing tracks and opening ones outside their weekend drive range, talk of a confederate flag ban, supporting the Ghey, etc.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

:roll:
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson