NFL viewership declines is not about kneeling or Trump.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
cwtcr hokie

Re: NFL viewership declines is not about kneeling or Trump.

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:What did NASCAR do to piss off the rednecks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turned it into a big corporate circle jerk like the WWE.
Right. NASCAR died because of greed and shifting away from the South. Politics didn't really have anything to do with that.

They tried to diversify to appeal to a larger audience demographic, and alienated their primary viewers.
How does this alienate their primary viewers? Juan Pablo Montoya gets a car and suddenly necks are pissed?
nobody has any issue with Montoya, the kid is good and has talent. When nascar popularity was peaking they tried to expand the geographic footprint and messed up, they went to a bunch of 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks that does not have good close racing and into areas that were not big nascar fan places to start with.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Right. NASCAR died because of greed and shifting away from the South. Politics didn't really have anything to do with that.

They tried to diversify to appeal to a larger audience demographic, and alienated their primary viewers.
How does this alienate their primary viewers? Juan Pablo Montoya gets a car and suddenly necks are pissed?
nobody has any issue with Montoya, the kid is good and has talent. When nascar popularity was peaking they tried to expand the geographic footprint and messed up, they went to a bunch of 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks that does not have good close racing and into areas that were not big nascar fan places to start with.
Yep, and closed the short tracks near the base.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

BG Hokie wrote:How does this alienate their primary viewers? Juan Pablo Montoya gets a car and suddenly necks are pissed?
Moving out of the South hurt attendance at the tracks. NASCAR fans in the South felt they were being abandoned.

Inconsistent start times hurt the TV product because casual fans aren't always going to plan their Sundays around the races with different start times each week.

I think those are the two biggest factors that caused a gradual decline. You could also tack on gimmicky rule changes, boring races at cookie cutter tracks like Chicago, etc. The current France generation has effectively rendered the sport irrelevant.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Not that, closing tracks and opening ones outside their weekend drive range, talk of a confederate flag ban, supporting the Ghey, etc.
I took diversify to specifically mean diversifying by race or perhaps even orientation.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:How does this alienate their primary viewers? Juan Pablo Montoya gets a car and suddenly necks are pissed?
Moving out of the South hurt attendance at the tracks. NASCAR fans in the South felt they were being abandoned.

Inconsistent start times hurt the TV product because casual fans aren't always going to plan their Sundays around the races with different start times each week.

I think those are the two biggest factors that caused a gradual decline. You could also tack on gimmicky rule changes, boring races at cookie cutter tracks like Chicago, etc. The current France generation has effectively rendered the sport irrelevant.

Inconsistent start times are related to diversity how, nolan?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:Turned it into a big corporate circle jerk like the WWE.

Not that, closing tracks and opening ones outside their weekend drive range, talk of a confederate flag ban, supporting the Ghey, etc.
I took diversify to specifically mean diversifying by race or perhaps even orientation.
Naw, not the drivers, the org support.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

BG Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Inconsistent start times are related to diversity how, nolan?
I'm not making a diversity argument.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Political and they got greedy. Alienated a lot of their fans by dropping the smaller tracks for corporate money at big speedways. Football is following that same mistake. Prices are way out of line. My 4 seats would cost me $5000 per year before parking and concessions. I dumped them last year right after Kaperdick started his crap and the NFL went limp wristed on the subject. Broker bought them from me for a $5,000 buyout. I looked on line and my seats were selling for half price last week. Glad I got out when I did.

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Nope. NASCAR decline is from them getting political too. Politics touching entertainment is too volatile.
Yeah, the nascar mess was definitely political. I think some of the rule changes were atrocious as well. Either way, it wasn't cord cutters.
NASCAR went after big city markets with their glitz and dollars, not exactly their core fan base. Forgot who helped build their brand. Not unusual for businesses today though.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Political and they got greedy. Alienated a lot of their fans by dropping the smaller tracks for corporate money at big speedways. Football is following that same mistake. Prices are way out of line. My 4 seats would cost me $5000 per year before parking and concessions. I dumped them last year right after Kaperdick started his crap and the NFL went limp wristed on the subject. Broker bought them from me for a $5,000 buyout. I looked on line and my seats were selling for half price last week. Glad I got out when I did.

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Nope. NASCAR decline is from them getting political too. Politics touching entertainment is too volatile.
Yeah, the nascar mess was definitely political. I think some of the rule changes were atrocious as well. Either way, it wasn't cord cutters.
NASCAR went after big city markets with their glitz and dollars, not exactly their core fan base. Forgot who helped build their brand. Not unusual for businesses today though.
The owners are like IP, southerners that moved/socialize with NY liberals and now demean their roots as their liberal asshole friends have made them self conscious. So they're motivated to become respectable to their rich liberal peers as much as anything else. It's a social move more than money in my opinion. I think the grand child/owners are also married to raging liberals and that's a factor too.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

USN_Hokie wrote:
The owners are like IP, southerners that moved/socialize with NY liberals and now demean their roots as their liberal asshole friends have made them self conscious. So they're motivated to become respectable to their rich liberal peers as much as anything else. It's a social move more than money in my opinion. I think the grand child/owners are also married to raging liberals and that's a factor too.
No, I think the owners were seduced by big city glitz and dollars and forgot their core constituency. Essentially they believed all the PR people whispering all the platitudes and hype in their ears -- they got greedy.

They believed in that false mantra "if you aren't growing you're dying".
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

USN_Hokie wrote:
No, I think the owners were seduced by big city glitz and dollars and forgot their core constituency. Essentially they believed all the PR people whispering all the platitudes and hype in their ears -- they got greedy.

They believed in that false mantra "if you aren't growing you're dying".
They're spoiled libtards, NASCAR is their toy.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Seems like fatman is more knowledgeable about this topic than the NFL owners...

===========================
"NFL owners so far siding with their players for their right to free speech, but they're also keeping close tabs on the financial impact and the public relations impact of this confrontation," King said.

He went on to say that the NFL owners have research "clearly showing the president is right" when he claims the national anthem protests are one factor in TV ratings dropping.

"Since the president weighed in, the owners are now dealing with a surge in ticket holder requests for refunds," King said.
http://freebeacon.com/politics/nfl-owne ... rt-trumps/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

USN_Hokie wrote:
Even after they shed their skin and take on the pseudo intellectual gestalt of their comrades, nothing really changes. They're new cosmo brethren still point and giggle when they're not around.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Seems like fatman is more knowledgeable about this topic than the NFL owners...

"NFL owners so far siding with their players for their right to free speech, but they're also keeping close tabs on the financial impact and the public relations impact of this confrontation," King said.

He went on to say that the NFL owners have research "clearly showing the president is right" when he claims the national anthem protests are one factor in TV ratings dropping.

"Since the president weighed in, the owners are now dealing with a surge in ticket holder requests for refunds," King said.

Or desperately seeking ways to mitigate the obvious issues with mingling politics and business.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieJoe wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

USN_Hokie wrote:
Even after they shed their skin and take on the pseudo intellectual gestalt of their comrades, nothing really changes. They're new cosmo brethren still point and giggle when they're not around.
Yep. And they gored their cash cow too.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Seems like fatman is more knowledgeable about this topic than the NFL owners...

Of course the protests are hurting.

NFL owners are between a rock and a hard place, though. They can't say anything without alienating their players.

Most democrats with good sense know that if you want broad appeal, you "play the game" - you wear a flag pin, stand at the appropriate times, sit at the appropriate times, and cheer at the appropriate times - whether you believe it or not. But these players lack good sense and the owners don't want to run that risk of losing their talent.

And the players aren't forward enough thinking to realize that lower ticket sales / TV revenue means salary caps - or they don't care because by the time the damage trickles down to them, they're gone anyway. It's current college players who will be paying the price in terms of lower salaries. (And, as we know from the recent walkout and contract negotiation, the current NFL players don't give a flying flip about future players. Were I a star player about to be drafted, I would talk to a lawyer about suing to overturn the rookie salary cap. The union, who represents zero people who will ever be rookies again, wrote it into the contract that rookies get lower salaries because the players writing the deal knew that it meant higher salaries for them. If I were a rookie, I'd be ticked that the association with a fiduciary responsibility to me demonstrated no such responsibility and would seek to have it overturned.)
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BigDave wrote:

Of course the protests are hurting.

NFL owners are between a rock and a hard place, though. They can't say anything without alienating their players.

Most democrats with good sense know that if you want broad appeal, you "play the game" - you wear a flag pin, stand at the appropriate times, sit at the appropriate times, and cheer at the appropriate times - whether you believe it or not. But these players lack good sense and the owners don't want to run that risk of losing their talent.

And the players aren't forward enough thinking to realize that lower ticket sales / TV revenue means salary caps - or they don't care because by the time the damage trickles down to them, they're gone anyway. It's current college players who will be paying the price in terms of lower salaries. (And, as we know from the recent walkout and contract negotiation, the current NFL players don't give a flying flip about future players. Were I a star player about to be drafted, I would talk to a lawyer about suing to overturn the rookie salary cap. The union, who represents zero people who will ever be rookies again, wrote it into the contract that rookies get lower salaries because the players writing the deal knew that it meant higher salaries for them. If I were a rookie, I'd be ticked that the association with a fiduciary responsibility to me demonstrated no such responsibility and would seek to have it overturned.)
You're correct that the current players don't care. They've got theirs and the will likely be out of the league before any financial ramifications would impact them. The networks are the ones that will get hurt, locked into paying exorbitant rights fees to the league while viewership nose dives. The players and owners don't care -- they're going to get theirs. Now, what if the networks look to break the TV contracts due to negligent acts on behalf of the players and/or owners and league officials. Would be an interesting court case.