Vegas: 20+ killed, up to 100 injured at music festival.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Vegas: 20+ killed, up to 100 injured at music festival.

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:ISIS is taking credit for this and saying he was a recent muslim convert, for whatever that's worth. They usually don't make claims like that unless the perp has some relationship...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breakingn ... spartanntp
That was tough to watch. If we are jumping to conclusions, I'd go with gambling addict who had a score to settle with Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote::?: An accountant? Maybe he didn't like the idea of single page tax returns.
Well, I'm in the "I'll believe that when I see it" camp. I'll be absolutely stunned if we ever have a Congress and a President who see so eye-to-eye that they agree to scrap the entire tax code in favor of a system that drops all deductions and credits in favor of a "tell us how much you made, now give us x% of it" method. The rich will bitch about the lack of deductions while the poor will bitch about having to actually pay taxes.

And oh, by the way? A whole bunch of filers (I don't know the percentage) DO file a one-page return. The 1040-EZ is available to taxpayers who only have certain types of income (no interest, dividends, self-employment, rental, etc), earn less than $100,000, have no dependents, and are either single or married filing a joint return.

As for the rest of us, most of those additional pages are used to detail your income sources. There is no way to do a one-page return for people who currently file Schedules B, C, D, E, and F because those are all support for the income figures reported on the front of the 1040!
Just go to the Fair Tax and be done with it. Of course a lot of accountants would have to go on welfare!
No we wouldn't. I could live on my attestation income. And even if they go the Fair Tax, there will still be required filings that a great many people won't want to do.
Good for you. But as I said, and stand by, a lot of accountants would be out of work. Which is one reason they are against it.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote::?: An accountant? Maybe he didn't like the idea of single page tax returns.
Well, I'm in the "I'll believe that when I see it" camp. I'll be absolutely stunned if we ever have a Congress and a President who see so eye-to-eye that they agree to scrap the entire tax code in favor of a system that drops all deductions and credits in favor of a "tell us how much you made, now give us x% of it" method. The rich will bitch about the lack of deductions while the poor will bitch about having to actually pay taxes.

And oh, by the way? A whole bunch of filers (I don't know the percentage) DO file a one-page return. The 1040-EZ is available to taxpayers who only have certain types of income (no interest, dividends, self-employment, rental, etc), earn less than $100,000, have no dependents, and are either single or married filing a joint return.

As for the rest of us, most of those additional pages are used to detail your income sources. There is no way to do a one-page return for people who currently file Schedules B, C, D, E, and F because those are all support for the income figures reported on the front of the 1040!
Just go to the Fair Tax and be done with it. Of course a lot of accountants would have to go on welfare!
No we wouldn't. I could live on my attestation income. And even if they go the Fair Tax, there will still be required filings that a great many people won't want to do.
Good for you. But as I said, and stand by, a lot of accountants would be out of work. Which is one reason they are against it.
The accountants lobby? Is there such a thing.

I'm not ready to buy into that line of thinking. There will always be a need for accountants.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

The accountants lobby? Is there such a thing.

I'm not ready to buy into that line of thinking. There will always be a need for accountants.

All professional societies lobby. And more and more they are raising funds for their PACs.

Of course there will always be a need for accountants; I never indicated there wouldn't. Just that the herd would be thinned.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:ISIS is taking credit for this and saying he was a recent muslim convert, for whatever that's worth. They usually don't make claims like that unless the perp has some relationship...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breakingn ... spartanntp
That was tough to watch. If we are jumping to conclusions, I'd go with gambling addict who had a score to settle with Vegas.

He's a nutcase regardless for sure. Arguing over motivation is really just a discussion of how it manifested.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

You sure?

Ryan Cleckner, a former U.S. Army Ranger sniper and author of “Long Range Shooting Handbook,” said the seemingly inconsistent rate of Paddock’s shooting may indicate he was using a device to mimic full-auto fire.

These devices, such as a Slide Fire stock, are legal and can be bought for about $300.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/02/la ... -evil.html

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Democrats already running to politicize this and call for gun control. Except this guy was using a gun that already illegal. :roll:

========================================

Democrats Immediately Call For Gun Control After Las Vegas Shooting
Peter Hasson
10:22 AM 10/02/2017

Congressional Democrats chose not to wait for all the facts to come in before immediately pushing for increased gun control measures following the Las Vegas shooting Sunday night that left 50 people dead and more than 400 injured.

It’s not yet clear how the shooter, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, acquired his guns or if gun control measures could have prevented him from obtaining them, but leading Democrats are already demanding stricter gun control legislation.

Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy issued a statement Monday morning claiming that “the thoughts and prayers of politicians are cruelly hollow if they are paired with continued legislative indifference.” Murphy demanded Congress “get off its ass and do something” following the shooting.

“Tragedies like Las Vegas have happened too many times,” Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren wrote on Twitter. “We need to have the conversation about how to stop gun violence. We need it NOW.”

Twice-failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton attacked the National Rifle Association (NRA).

“Our grief isn’t enough. We can and must put politics aside, stand up to the NRA, and work together to try to stop this from happening again,” Clinton wrote.

“As after #Orlando, I will NOT be joining my colleagues in a moment of silence on the House Floor that just becomes an excuse for inaction,” Massachusetts Rep. Seth Moulton wrote.

“Thinking of everyone in #LasVegas, and praying Congress will have the courage to do more than stand in silence to commemorate them,” Moulton wrote in another tweet.

New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney demanded Congress “show they care by taking action” on gun control.

“It has been barely a year since what was previously the largest mass shooting in American history — the deadly attack at Pulse nightclub. In the interim, thousands more have been lost to the daily, ruthless toll of gun violence,” Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal said in a statement.

“Still, Congress refuses to act. I am more than frustrated, I am furious.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/02/democ ... -shooting/
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:You sure?

Ryan Cleckner, a former U.S. Army Ranger sniper and author of “Long Range Shooting Handbook,” said the seemingly inconsistent rate of Paddock’s shooting may indicate he was using a device to mimic full-auto fire.

These devices, such as a Slide Fire stock, are legal and can be bought for about $300.

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Democrats already running to politicize this and call for gun control. Except this guy was using a gun that already illegal. :roll:

Peter Hasson

Congressional Democrats chose not to wait for all the facts to come in before immediately pushing for increased gun control measures following the Las Vegas shooting Sunday night that left 50 people dead and more than 400 injured.

It’s not yet clear how the shooter, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, acquired his guns or if gun control measures could have prevented him from obtaining them, but leading Democrats are already demanding stricter gun control legislation.

Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy issued a statement Monday morning claiming that “the thoughts and prayers of politicians are cruelly hollow if they are paired with continued legislative indifference.” Murphy demanded Congress “get off its ass and do something” following the shooting.

“Tragedies like Las Vegas have happened too many times,” Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren wrote on Twitter. “We need to have the conversation about how to stop gun violence. We need it NOW.”

Twice-failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton attacked the National Rifle Association (NRA).

“Our grief isn’t enough. We can and must put politics aside, stand up to the NRA, and work together to try to stop this from happening again,” Clinton wrote.

“As after #Orlando, I will NOT be joining my colleagues in a moment of silence on the House Floor that just becomes an excuse for inaction,” Massachusetts Rep. Seth Moulton wrote.

“Thinking of everyone in #LasVegas, and praying Congress will have the courage to do more than stand in silence to commemorate them,” Moulton wrote in another tweet.

New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney demanded Congress “show they care by taking action” on gun control.

“It has been barely a year since what was previously the largest mass shooting in American history — the deadly attack at Pulse nightclub. In the interim, thousands more have been lost to the daily, ruthless toll of gun violence,” Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal said in a statement.

My money is on the weapon being modified as your link suggests. That said, there's nothing complicated about bump firing a gun, though. You don't even need any device to do that and there's no real way to ban a technique....
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

FWIW, (heavy grain of salt) there's some pretty convincing video/pictures of someone who looks just like him at Trump protests.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Peter Hasson

My money is on the weapon being modified as your link suggests. That said, there's nothing complicated about bump firing a gun, though. You don't even need any device to do that and there's no real way to ban a technique....
Plenty of time to discuss later, but I personally think the negatives of allowing any gun that can be "bump fired" outweigh the positives. It seems that we could all at least agree that there should be some heightened scrutiny required to purchase a gun that can be easily modified in this manner.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Peter Hasson

Plenty of time to discuss later, but I personally think the negatives of allowing any gun that can be "bump fired" outweigh the positives. It seems that we could all at least agree that there should be some heightened scrutiny required to purchase a gun that can be easily modified in this manner.
Why? I'd rather deal with the occasional nut than a nut like you leaving us disarmed from government tyranny.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Peter Hasson

You're talking about every semi-auto rifle made.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'm really (no, really) hoping this guy doesn't turn out to be an antifa - type/sympathizer and is just a nut off his rocker. If this event has any political motivation, the consequences could be really bad for the stability of this country...
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Peter Hasson

So be it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CBS Legal Exec: No Sympathy For Vegas ‘Because Country Music Fans Often Are Republican

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/02/cbs-l ... epublican/
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: You're talking about every semi-auto rifle made.
So be it.
You're welcome to come to my house and try. Thankfully, we have a Constitution to protect us from people like you.

Ideology has killed far more people than guns have...
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
So be it.
Thankfully, we have a Constitution to protect us from people like you. Ideology has killed far more people than guns have...
If the gun was legal, it will be interested to see how this is handled by our populist president.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CBS Legal Exec: No Sympathy For Vegas ‘Because Country Music Fans Often Are Republican

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/02/cbs-l ... epublican/
I read that :x of course CBS is looking into it.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Peter Hasson

which requires paperwork to buy already
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
So be it.
Thankfully, we have a Constitution to protect us from people like you. Ideology has killed far more people than guns have...
If the gun was legal, it will be interested to see how this is handled by our populist president.
we just need some kind of computer that can tell the exact moment someone loses their excrement.... and eliminates them from the planet
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
So be it.
Maybe you should wait for the bodies to get cold before you try to leverage this for political gain.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
So be it.
Maybe you should wait for the bodies to get cold before you try to leverage this for political gain.
I'm trying to have a reasonable, civil discussion here USN.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
So be it.
I'm trying to have a reasonable, civil discussion here USN.

I seriously doubt the machine gun was legally obtained. It's odd though how your ilk fixates on this as killing 58 is the most illegal of the laws broken.
Last edited by awesome guy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Peter Hasson

So be it.
So you are advocating outlawing all semi automatic firearms, including manufacture and confiscation? How are you going to shut down the internet manufacture?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

American badassImage
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Peter Hasson

[/quote]

My money is on the weapon being modified as your link suggests. That said, there's nothing complicated about bump firing a gun, though. You don't even need any device to do that and there's no real way to ban a technique....[/quote]

Plenty of time to discuss later, but I personally think the negatives of allowing any gun that can be "bump fired" outweigh the positives. It seems that we could all at least agree that there should be some heightened scrutiny required to purchase a gun that can be easily modified in this manner.[/quote]

You're talking about every semi-auto rifle made.[/quote]

So be it.[/quote]

So you are advocating outlawing all semi automatic firearms, including manufacture and confiscation? How are you going to shut down the internet manufacture?[/quote]

No, that's what USN said I was advocating. My comments were intended to be directed to future sales.