So do we rebuild all the structures burned in kali, the

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
cwtcr hokie

So do we rebuild all the structures burned in kali, the

Post by cwtcr hokie »

fires occur there yearly and it is the middle of a desert.
133743Hokie

Re: So do we rebuild all the structures burned in kali, the

Post by 133743Hokie »

They have insurance that they pay for, just like you and I.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

About 3000 homes and commercial building have burned down now. I am sure most are insured. We have had ten employees at work lose their homes. It is bad. We have really high winds right now and until those chill out I don't know this stops.

The north bay is mostly vineyards and is the least densely populated part of the area. If this crosses over to the east bay, it will be total pandemonium as 2.5M people live in the east bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Anyone know who started the fires? Is anything sinister suspected?
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:About 3000 homes and commercial building have burned down now. I am sure most are insured. We have had ten employees at work lose their homes. It is bad. We have really high winds right now and until those chill out I don't know this stops.

The north bay is mostly vineyards and is the least densely populated part of the area. If this crosses over to the east bay, it will be total pandemonium as 2.5M people live in the east bay.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:About 3000 homes and commercial building have burned down now. I am sure most are insured. We have had ten employees at work lose their homes. It is bad. We have really high winds right now and until those chill out I don't know this stops.

my point was about the discussion after the hurricanes about building near the coast, at least with the flooding and stuff many of the structures can be fixed and repaired. With the fires it is all completely gone (except for the chimneys) And every year part of Kali burns. Of course the ultimate point is if you only build where there are no risks all of america would live in a very very small area
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

my point was about the discussion after the hurricanes about building near the coast, at least with the flooding and stuff many of the structures can be fixed and repaired. With the fires it is all completely gone (except for the chimneys) And every year part of Kali burns. Of course the ultimate point is if you only build where there are no risks all of america would live in a very very small area
Most of the big cali fires though are in the forests....3000 buildings is way outside the normal amount. The infamous Oakland Hills fire in 1991 was 3000 houses and 25 deaths. This is about the same right now(17 deaths). It would be nice if it rained about now, but none is forecasted.
FireFuente

Post by FireFuente »

133743Hokie wrote:They have insurance that they pay for, just like you and I.
As long as its a private insurance issue then I have no problem with it. Let the market decide.

But don't a lot of disaster areas receive federal funds to help rebuild? No tax $$ should go to rebuild homes/businesses that are just going to be destroyed again in a few years.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

FireFuente wrote:
As long as its a private insurance issue then I have no problem with it. Let the market decide.

But don't a lot of disaster areas receive federal funds to help rebuild? No tax $$ should go to rebuild homes/businesses that are just going to be destroyed again in a few years.
Kali has already been declared a disaster area (same as the hurricane affected areas)

It would be great to think everyone has insurance but some people that do not have a mortgage forgo insurance.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
FireFuente wrote:

Kali has already been declared a disaster area (same as the hurricane affected areas)

It would be great to think everyone has insurance but some people that do not have a mortgage forgo insurance.
Houses here are so much money here it is hard to imagine a house owned free and clear with no insurance.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
FireFuente wrote:

Houses here are so much money here it is hard to imagine a house owned free and clear with no insurance.

I agree but people are paid alot also, with actors and such and tech people, I would guess that some have no issue paying cash for a place
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

FireFuente wrote:

I think the disaster funding goes for infrastructure and general cleanup, short term care/relief, etc. Not for rebuilding personal homes.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
FireFuente wrote:

I think the disaster funding goes for infrastructure and general cleanup, short term care/relief, etc. Not for rebuilding personal homes.
when they were talking to the fema guy in houston there were immediate funds (like $500 no questions asked type funds) and then once you applied longer term funds, was not sure if that meant straight give away or low interest loan type stuff
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
FireFuente wrote:

I agree but people are paid alot also, with actors and such and tech people, I would guess that some have no issue paying cash for a place
Lots of Chinese and Hong Kong nationals pay cash for houses in the Bay Area. It kills people when they go to buy at place and they have to compete against all cash offers. There are so many empty, expensive condos in SF, owned by folks from Asia. They park their money in the real estate, as they feel they will get low risk and high return.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:Anyone know who started the fires? Is anything sinister suspected?
Kalifornia has a problem with fires in large part because the enviro weenies are against any logging.
Vienna_Hokie
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
FireFuente wrote:

It's called risk and if you take your chance then you lose.

No one who does not have insurance should get any tax money....period.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
RWNJ
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by RWNJ »

Kali was declared a disaster area when Jerry Brown took over. Still is.
We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RWNJ wrote:Kali was declared a disaster area when Jerry Brown took over. Still is.
Oh Awchie

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:fires occur there yearly and it is the middle of a desert.
Just FYI... wine country isn’t a desert. It’s an agricultural center.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:

you may want to check on how they get their water
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

I know facts are hard for you Cletus. But Santa Rosa gets over 3x the annual rainfall necessary to be classified a desert.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

I know facts are hard for you Cletus. But Santa Rosa gets over 3x the annual rainfall necessary to be classified a desert.
buckwheat, alot of the agriculture in kali in the mid to southern part of the state is only possible by piping in alot of water from out of state..... thus why kali has such a large water issue
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

buckwheat, alot of the agriculture in kali in the mid to southern part of the state is only possible by piping in alot of water from out of state..... thus why kali has such a large water issue
You really struggle staying on task don’t you? The fires are in wine country, not the Central Valley. Wine country is not a desert as you assert in your first post of this thread. Not even close.