'Fair Wage' Pizza Shop Gets Slice of Reality. It Closes.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: 'Fair Wage' Pizza Shop Gets Slice of Reality. It Closes.

Post by nolanvt »

Sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

If you want restaurants where the workers are paid a decent amount, look to be spending $200 for your meal, not $20. For most of us poor people, that's fine for a special occasion, but not somewhere that I'm going to go every week.

Supposedly, the magic percentage for restaurant costs is 1/3 food, 1/3 staffing, and 1/3 everything else. (Everything else includes your building rent, facilities, utilities, and oh yeah, maybe profit if there's some of that.) If you try and raise staffing costs, then you have to raise your menu prices, which means that now you're going to have to spend more on food for people to be willing to pay it and probably more on nicer chairs, etc, because an expensive restaurant shouldn't look like a McDonald's. So you always come back to that magic percentage of food, staffing, and everything else each being about a third of your cost.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:If you want restaurants where the workers are paid a decent amount, look to be spending $200 for your meal, not $20. For most of us poor people, that's fine for a special occasion, but not somewhere that I'm going to go every week.

Supposedly, the magic percentage for restaurant costs is 1/3 food, 1/3 staffing, and 1/3 everything else. (Everything else includes your building rent, facilities, utilities, and oh yeah, maybe profit if there's some of that.) If you try and raise staffing costs, then you have to raise your menu prices, which means that now you're going to have to spend more on food for people to be willing to pay it and probably more on nicer chairs, etc, because an expensive restaurant shouldn't look like a McDonald's. So you always come back to that magic percentage of food, staffing, and everything else each being about a third of your cost.
rest. business is very hard, thus why 50% failure rate and you even see big chains fail. But this junk about paying somebody $15-20 an hour for a job you can be trained on in about 30 minutes is stupidity at its highest. You want more money, get a better job! Min. wage jobs are not meant to raise a family on although if you have two people with NO KIDS on min. wage they can have a decent lifestyle, no trips to Honolulu but a decent life
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:If you want restaurants where the workers are paid a decent amount, look to be spending $200 for your meal, not $20. For most of us poor people, that's fine for a special occasion, but not somewhere that I'm going to go every week.

rest. business is very hard, thus why 50% failure rate and you even see big chains fail. But this junk about paying somebody $15-20 an hour for a job you can be trained on in about 30 minutes is stupidity at its highest. You want more money, get a better job! Min. wage jobs are not meant to raise a family on although if you have two people with NO KIDS on min. wage they can have a decent lifestyle, no trips to Honolulu but a decent life
Liberals are all about success without going through the hassle of earning it.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

It’s possible, but it’s not going to work selling slices of pizza.

The Shake Shack group, which includes high end restaurants, have raised prices and eliminated tipping. Supposedly they pay a decent wage. It seems to be working for them.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ing-is-a-/

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

The Shake Shack group, which includes high end restaurants, have raised prices and eliminated tipping. Supposedly they pay a decent wage. It seems to be working for them.

wife and I went to Carrabbas the other night, they raised all the prices on their menu, food was no better and the place was not near as busy as it used to be on a Saturday night. But with the increased prices we won't be going back near as often.

I am not an expensive rest. person, I know it is a waste of money, worked in rest. for about 8 years in HS and at VT and they are all the same. Paying $100 + for two people is just stupid.
Last edited by cwtcr hokie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

wife and I went to Carrabbas the other night, they raised all the prices on their menu, food was no better and the place was not near as busy as it used to be on a Saturday night. But with the increased prices we won't be going back near as often.
Next time, consider dining locally.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

huh? if you mean non chain my closest city to my house is charlotte, the non chain are the $100 + places unless you want a taco stand
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

huh? if you mean non chain my closest city to my house is charlotte, the non chain are the $100 + places unless you want a taco stand
I bet the taco stand taste better than Carrabas.

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

cwtcr hokie wrote:wife and I went to Carrabbas the other night, they raised all the prices on their menu, food was no better and the place was not near as busy as it used to be on a Saturday night. But with the increased prices we won't be going back near as often.

I am not an expensive rest. person, I know it is a waste of money, worked in rest. for about 8 years in HS and at VT and they are all the same. Paying $100 + for two people is just stupid.
I used to go to Carrabba's all the time, but their prices have been rising steadily and they have gradually removed my favorite things from the menu and replaced them with cheaper meats. Mahi mahi was my favorite fish there and that's gone now ... but they charge $21 for four shrimp and four scallops.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:wife and I went to Carrabbas the other night, they raised all the prices on their menu, food was no better and the place was not near as busy as it used to be on a Saturday night. But with the increased prices we won't be going back near as often.

I used to go to Carrabba's all the time, but their prices have been rising steadily and they have gradually removed my favorite things from the menu and replaced them with cheaper meats. Mahi mahi was my favorite fish there and that's gone now ... but they charge $21 for four shrimp and four scallops.
I stopped going because the service tanked.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:

Yea, I noticed that also that several items had been removed from the menu, we went prob, 5-6 weeks before this last visit
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:

I stopped going because the service tanked.
service was good, never had an issue with that
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I have a good friend who owns two high end restaurants in SF. He says the full time top earning waiters and waitresses make $75k

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I have a good friend who owns two high end restaurants in SF. He says the full time top earning waiters and waitresses make $75k

They do well, but most of the people actually cooking the meal probably make what they make at Carrabas.

The system seems out of whack to me. I think the Europeans have this one figured out.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Shock.. flipping pizza and/or serving it doesn't get you a 4 bedroom house, car, and white fence. Shock. We need to do MUCH better at educating people on this point. Waiting tables is not an adult career.. it's a shitty job, and hourly job.. that is a fact. It is designed for high school kids. So if you choose to do that past your high school years, you are not going to make a wage that gets you the American dream- fact and basic economics. So learn a more marketable more lucrative trade or get an education that will allow you to pursue a better job. Paying more for unskilled hourly jobs will only hurt the business in the long run- basic economics and reality