Astros player makes racist gesture

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Astros player makes racist gesture

Post by nolanvt »

during Game 3 and will be suspended five games next year for it. Seems kind of half-assed to delay discipline until then, but whatever.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 810015001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
WestEndHokie39

Re: Astros player makes racist gesture

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

nolanvt wrote:during Game 3 and will be suspended five games next year for it. Seems kind of half-assed to delay discipline until then, but whatever.

His only punishment should been an apology to Darvish, but that is not possible, I guess, with the New Puritans of the left eager to mete out discipline. Guess he should be thankful the SJWs didn’t put him in stocks in the public square.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:during Game 3 and will be suspended five games next year for it. Seems kind of half-assed to delay discipline until then, but whatever.

His only punishment should been an apology to Darvish, but that is not possible, I guess, with the New Puritans of the left eager to mete out discipline. Guess he should be thankful the SJWs didn’t put him in stocks in the public square.
MLB already had a precedent for suspending those who make racist gestures, so he was going to get suspended no matter what. After his performance in Game 4, maybe he should have taken that game!

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Isn't that racist against a Cuban :?:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I think we should all be thankful that no one was seriously hurt in this horrible episode. Physically hurt, anyway.

Of course, Darvish will have to carry the scar of this horrendous event with him for the rest of his life. I think the person who made that awful awful awful gesture should be thrown out of the league.

And then killed.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Major Kong wrote:Isn't that racist against a Cuban :?:
Apparently I don’t quite understand the SJW handbook either. First, as you stated, I thought only white men could be racist. Second, I don’t know if nolan adheres to the “intersectionality” concept, but I thought yellow people are higher on the list than brown people, so this should be “punching up” and therefore acceptable.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

MLB already had a precedent for suspending those who make racist gestures, so he was going to get suspended no matter what. After his performance in Game 4, maybe he should have taken that game!

I don’t know if you missed my point or are being deliberately obtuse. If emotionally mature adults were still crafting MLB policy, an apology from the Astro and acceptance by Darvish would take care of the matter. Unfortunately, they went the emotional route of childish overreaction.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:

I think MLB got it right at 5 games next year.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

I don’t know if you missed my point or are being deliberately obtuse. If emotionally mature adults were still crafting MLB policy, an apology from the Astro and acceptance by Darvish would take care of the matter. Unfortunately, they went the emotional route of childish overreaction.
Actual discipline is the best way to reduce potential occurrences. Only requiring an apology would brand MLB as enablers of racism.

WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

Actual discipline is the best way to reduce potential occurrences. Only requiring an apology would brand MLB as enablers of racism.

You try really hard to paint yourself as a reasonable person in this forum, but your totalitarian worldview shows through often enough to let me know you are just a garden variety leftist who has no problem using power to assert your morality over others.

A New Puritan, indeed...
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

You try really hard to paint yourself as a reasonable person in this forum, but your totalitarian worldview shows through often enough to let me know you are just a garden variety leftist who has no problem using power to assert your morality over others.

A New Puritan, indeed...
I’m sorry, but it’s not totalitarian for a sports league to subject their players to discipline for making overtly racist gestures on national television during the World Series.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

You are correct. An organization may impose discipline, fines, suspension on it's members for actions it considers in poor taste or that reflect badly on the organization. The NFL, MLB, mcdonalds or the US military if fully within their rights to do that.

The question is what is the punishment. You think that not levying a severe penalty is a tacit endorsement of racism. That is silly. I suggest that making mountains out of mole hills merely obfuscates what real racism is and puts that silly gesture on the same plane as burning a cross in someone's yard and throwing a brick through the window.

It's not.

A fine in the locker room kangaroo court of about $15 and the team saying, "What, are you nuts?" Is sufficient.

Mole hill.

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:You are correct. An organization may impose discipline, fines, suspension on it's members for actions it considers in poor taste or that reflect badly on the organization. The NFL, MLB, mcdonalds or the US military if fully within their rights to do that.

The question is what is the punishment. You think that not levying a severe penalty is a tacit endorsement of racism. That is silly. I suggest that making mountains out of mole hills merely obfuscates what real racism is and puts that silly gesture on the same plane as burning a cross in someone's yard and throwing a brick through the window.

It's not.

A fine in the locker room kangaroo court of about $15 and the team saying, "What, are you nuts?" Is sufficient.

Mole hill.
FTR, I don’t necessarily think a lack of punishment under certain circumstances would be an enabling of racism, but that’s simply how it would be perceived by the public.

Overt racism caught on national television during the World Series is more than a reasonable circumstance to discipline a player.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Racism?

To label that racism is hyperbole. Like micro aggression.

Everything racial isn't racist. It was insensitive.

My guess is that everyone will survive this horrible ordeal and be able to recover and lead fairly normal lives.

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:You are correct. An organization may impose discipline, fines, suspension on it's members for actions it considers in poor taste or that reflect badly on the organization. The NFL, MLB, mcdonalds or the US military if fully within their rights to do that.

It's not.

Mole hill.
FTR, I don’t necessarily think a lack of punishment under certain circumstances would be an enabling of racism, but that’s simply how it would be perceived by the public.

Overt racism caught on national television during the World Series is more than a reasonable circumstance to discipline a player.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:Racism?

My guess is that everyone will survive this horrible ordeal and be able to recover and lead fairly normal lives.

nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

You seriously believe that a squinty eyes gesture at a Japanese player isn’t racist? Okie dokie then.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I don't know the motivation, do you?

It may have been a dumb gesture stereotyping an ethnic group.

OMG, kill him!

Mole hill.

nolanvt wrote:

nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

You seriously believe that a squinty eyes gesture at a Japanese player isn’t racist? Okie dokie then.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:I don't know the motivation, do you?

OMG, kill him!

Mole hill.

nolanvt wrote:

nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

Quite the overreaction, oak. I’m only advocating suspension in this instance for an overtly racist gesture.

WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

Again, keep satisfying the zealots in the New Puritan Church. They are a fringe element of the “public”. Eventually the emotionally mature adults will stop this inquisition or it will collapse as everyone becomes a victim because everyone is a racist.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

OMG, kill him!

Mole hill.

nolanvt wrote:

nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

You find 5 games (next year, and appealable) and required sensitivity training to be too severe?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:

nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

By doing the slanted eyebrows jester, do you think that he believes that his race is superior to Asians? Do you think he believes that and that is what he intended? To show his superiority over Asians? Or is your definition of racism the same as Shaun Kings? As opposed to universally accepted text definitions and common sense?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

Again, keep satisfying the zealots in the New Puritan Church. They are a fringe element of the “public”. Eventually the emotionally mature adults will stop this inquisition or it will collapse as everyone becomes a victim because everyone is a racist.
You’re making too much out of a suspension for breaking a pretty clearly established rule in baseball.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Far too severe.

Ridiculously so.

ip_law-hokie wrote:

OMG, kill him!

Mole hill.

nolanvt wrote:

nolanvt wrote:

It's not.

Mole hill.

You find 5 games (next year, and appealable) and required sensitivity training to be too severe?

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

It's amusing how the Unusuals think players can be fined for squinty eye gestures to insult a player, but not kneeling during the anthem to insult the nation.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:It's amusing how the Unusuals think players can be fined for squinty eye gestures to insult a player, but not kneeling during the anthem to insult the nation.
If it’s the rule like it is in the NBA, go for it.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:It's amusing how the Unusuals think players can be fined for squinty eye gestures to insult a player, but not kneeling during the anthem to insult the nation.
If it’s the rule like it is in the NBA, go for it.

What?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.