Astros player makes racist gesture

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
WestEndHokie39

Re: Astros player makes racist gesture

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:I don't know the motivation, do you?

It may have been a dumb gesture stereotyping an ethnic group.

OMG, kill him!

Mole hill.

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:Racism?

To label that racism is hyperbole. Like micro aggression.

Everything racial isn't racist. It was insensitive.

My guess is that everyone will survive this horrible ordeal and be able to recover and lead fairly normal lives.

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:You are correct. An organization may impose discipline, fines, suspension on it's members for actions it considers in poor taste or that reflect badly on the organization. The NFL, MLB, mcdonalds or the US military if fully within their rights to do that.

The question is what is the punishment. You think that not levying a severe penalty is a tacit endorsement of racism. That is silly. I suggest that making mountains out of mole hills merely obfuscates what real racism is and puts that silly gesture on the same plane as burning a cross in someone's yard and throwing a brick through the window.

It's not.

A fine in the locker room kangaroo court of about $15 and the team saying, "What, are you nuts?" Is sufficient.

Mole hill.
FTR, I don’t necessarily think a lack of punishment under certain circumstances would be an enabling of racism, but that’s simply how it would be perceived by the public.

Overt racism caught on national television during the World Series is more than a reasonable circumstance to discipline a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You seriously believe that a squinty eyes gesture at a Japanese player isn’t racist? Okie dokie then.

You find 5 games (next year, and appealable) and required sensitivity training to be too severe?

Any reasonable person would realize how it’s excessive.

The five games will cost him $400k, and a portion of that will be donated to a racist organization (some sort of group that pushes diversity).

“Sensitivity training” reeks of Orwell, soviet style- a repugnant example of groupthink.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:I don't know the motivation, do you?

It may have been a dumb gesture stereotyping an ethnic group.

OMG, kill him!

Mole hill.

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:Racism?

To label that racism is hyperbole. Like micro aggression.

Everything racial isn't racist. It was insensitive.

My guess is that everyone will survive this horrible ordeal and be able to recover and lead fairly normal lives.

nolanvt wrote: FTR, I don’t necessarily think a lack of punishment under certain circumstances would be an enabling of racism, but that’s simply how it would be perceived by the public.

Overt racism caught on national television during the World Series is more than a reasonable circumstance to discipline a player.

You seriously believe that a squinty eyes gesture at a Japanese player isn’t racist? Okie dokie then.

You find 5 games (next year, and appealable) and required sensitivity training to be too severe?

The five games will cost him $400k, and a portion of that will be donated to a racist organization (some sort of group that pushes diversity).

“Sensitivity training” reeks of Orwell, soviet style- a repugnant example of groupthink.
Damn. I did the math and came to 300K. I thought you were way off. He’s under contract for 47.5 M for 5 Seasons. Depending on how the contract is structured you may even be right.

How about our Jets?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:It's amusing how the Unusuals think players can be fined for squinty eye gestures to insult a player, but not kneeling during the anthem to insult the nation.
If it’s the rule like it is in the NBA, go for it.

What?
In the NBA, you are required to stand for the national anthem by league rule. #TheMoreYouKnow

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:It's amusing how the Unusuals think players can be fined for squinty eye gestures to insult a player, but not kneeling during the anthem to insult the nation.

What?
In the NBA, you are required to stand for the national anthem by league rule. #TheMoreYouKnow

Do you realize the Astros are a baseball team? Anyway, it's amusing how you weave back and forth from legal to moral without understanding either.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

What?

Do you realize the Astros are a baseball team? Anyway, it's amusing how you weave back and forth from legal to moral without understanding either.
Are you drunk?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

What?

Are you drunk?

It would make talking with you easier. Don't ever change.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote: If it’s the rule like it is in the NBA, go for it.

What?

Are you drunk?

Hope you get the help you need.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:What?

Are you drunk?

Hope you get the help you need.

Uh huh. I hope you visit the Wizard for a brain.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:You are correct. An organization may impose discipline, fines, suspension on it's members for actions it considers in poor taste or that reflect badly on the organization. The NFL, MLB, mcdonalds or the US military if fully within their rights to do that.

The question is what is the punishment. You think that not levying a severe penalty is a tacit endorsement of racism. That is silly. I suggest that making mountains out of mole hills merely obfuscates what real racism is and puts that silly gesture on the same plane as burning a cross in someone's yard and throwing a brick through the window.

It's not.

A fine in the locker room kangaroo court of about $15 and the team saying, "What, are you nuts?" Is sufficient.

Mole hill.
FTR, I don’t necessarily think a lack of punishment under certain circumstances would be an enabling of racism, but that’s simply how it would be perceived by the public.

[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote][/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

“Sensitivity training” reeks of Orwell, soviet style- a repugnant example of groupthink.[/quote]

Damn. I did the math and came to 300K. I thought you were way off. He’s under contract for 47.5 M for 5 Seasons. Depending on how the contract is structured you may even be right.

How about our Jets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I don’t know what to think about our Jets. At the beginning of the season, I wanted them to go 0-16 to get a franchise quarterback. Now I’m not so sure there is a franchise qb in next year’s draft.

I fear they will go 8-8 or so, and not get any better on offense