George Washington’s Church to Remove His Memorial...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

...because it could make some people feel unsafe or unwelcome. WTF? What kind of coward who is charged with the stewardship of such an important historical landmark would cave to this kind of PC pressure? You have to be a real piece of work (or sh!t) to take down a plaque dedicated to the father of our country in the very church that he attended.

=======================================

George Washington’s Church Is Going To Rip Out His Memorial
Will Racke
10:18 AM 10/28/2017

The Virginia church that George Washington attended for two decades plans to tear out a memorial to the nation’s first president because the plaque could make some worshipers feel “unsafe or unwelcome.”

Christ Church in Alexandria, Va., where Washington became a founding member in 1773, will remove his memorial and a similar one to Robert E. Lee, the Washington Times reported. Church leaders say the memorials, which sit to the left and right of the altar, have become too divisive and might be discouraging parishioners from attending services.

“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome,” the church leaders said, according to the Washington Times. “Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques.”

The church’s decision to remove the plaques puts it at the center of a nationwide debate over the display of memorials to important American historical figures whose acts or statements didn’t comport with today’s social norms. Many groups have protested against public memorials to Confederate generals, such as Robert E. Lee, and also to transformative presidents such as Washington, Andrew Jackson and even Abraham Lincoln.

The memorials at Christ Church in Alexandria were placed at the same time in 1870, months after Lee’s death. City residents chipped in for the plaques for both leaders, whose families had for many years been generous donors to the church’s endowment.

The Rev. Noelle York-Simmons, rector of the church, told the Washington Times the decision to take down the memorials was made by “unanimous vote” of the vestry, or church leadership committee. Church leaders say the plaques will come down by next summer, but no decision has been made as to how they will be displayed in another part of the church grounds.

“The new display location will be determined by a parish committee,” York-Simmons said. “That location will provide a place for our parish to offer a fuller narrative of our rich history, including the influence of these two powerful men on our church and our country.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/28/georg ... -memorial/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: George Washington’s Church to Remove His Memorial...

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:WTF? What kind of coward who is charged with the stewardship of such an important historical landmark would cave to this kind of PC pressure?
"The Rev. Noelle York-Simmons, rector of the church...."
Just a guess, but it might have something to do with the new rector with the hyphenated last name........

Oh, and the church's Senior Associate rector starred on 90210 and brings 12yrs of experience as a Yoga instructor to the ministry:
Ann Gillespie

SENIOR ASSOCIATE RECTOR

Ann is Senior Associate Rector. Ann brings to parish ministry a 20-year career as an actress in television and theater and 12 years as a yoga teacher.

Although currently an Episcopal priest with a passion for pastoral care, Ann Gillespie has had a long career in film, television and theater. Most notably, she appeared throughout the ‘90’s as Jackie Taylor, Kelly’s mom, on the hit television show, Beverly Hills, 90210. After becoming a priest, she reprised her role as Jackie on the new 90210 series.

Theater has always been her first love, but Star Trek fans may remember her recurring roles on Deep Space 9, and The Next Generation. She also guest starred on series such as Gilmore Girls, Judging Amy, and ER. She appeared as Fonzie’s girlfriend on the last season of Happy Days as well as starred in the TV movies, Living Proof about Country Western singer Hank Williams, and Kent State, the Emmy-winning miniseries about the 1970 shootings.

In the new millennium, Ann embarked on a new calling and in 2004, she and her family moved to Alexandria, Virginia, for her to attend seminary at Virginia Theological Seminary. She graduated with an M. Div. in 2007. She has been an Associate Rector at Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria since 2007.

http://www.historicchristchurch.org/about-us/clergy/
Can't make this shirt up.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:WTF? What kind of coward who is charged with the stewardship of such an important historical landmark would cave to this kind of PC pressure?
Just a guess, but it might have something to do with the new rector with the hyphenated last name........

Oh, and the church's Senior Associate rector starred on 90210 and brings 12yrs of experience as a Yoga instructor to the ministry:
Ann Gillespie

SENIOR ASSOCIATE RECTOR

Ann is Senior Associate Rector. Ann brings to parish ministry a 20-year career as an actress in television and theater and 12 years as a yoga teacher.

Although currently an Episcopal priest with a passion for pastoral care, Ann Gillespie has had a long career in film, television and theater. Most notably, she appeared throughout the ‘90’s as Jackie Taylor, Kelly’s mom, on the hit television show, Beverly Hills, 90210. After becoming a priest, she reprised her role as Jackie on the new 90210 series.

Theater has always been her first love, but Star Trek fans may remember her recurring roles on Deep Space 9, and The Next Generation. She also guest starred on series such as Gilmore Girls, Judging Amy, and ER. She appeared as Fonzie’s girlfriend on the last season of Happy Days as well as starred in the TV movies, Living Proof about Country Western singer Hank Williams, and Kent State, the Emmy-winning miniseries about the 1970 shootings.

In the new millennium, Ann embarked on a new calling and in 2004, she and her family moved to Alexandria, Virginia, for her to attend seminary at Virginia Theological Seminary. She graduated with an M. Div. in 2007. She has been an Associate Rector at Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria since 2007.

Ya know, in principle I'm not opposed to having women the clergy, but I have yet to see where a church with a woman priest/pastor has acted like they have even a little bit of sense.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

A quick perusal of their website and twitter feed confirms this church has voted itself into complete left-wing nutjobbery
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:A quick perusal of their website and twitter feed confirms this church has voted itself into complete left-wing nutjobbery
I’m shocked that an Episcopal Church may not share similar positions and views as Jerry Falwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by nolanvt on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Ann Gillespie

SENIOR ASSOCIATE RECTOR

Ya know, in principle I'm not opposed to having women the clergy, but I have yet to see where a church with a woman priest/pastor has acted like they have even a little bit of sense.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:A quick perusal of their website and twitter feed confirms this church has voted itself into complete left-wing nutjobbery
I’m shocked that an Episcopal Church may not similar positions and views as Jerry Falwell.

These are not churches.......they are indoctrination centers filled with false teachers.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieHam wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
I’m shocked that an Episcopal Church may not similar positions and views as Jerry Falwell.

These are not churches.......they are indoctrination centers filled with false teachers.
As opposed to the churches that aren’t indoctrination centers, got it.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yep. Almost none of the literature on their social media has anything to do with God, the gospel, etc.. It's almost entirely political.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
I’m shocked that an Episcopal Church may not share similar positions and views as Jerry Falwell.

False dichotomy. But then, you knew that.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Well I do know the local church here in Marion allows pets so they have that going for them. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Ann Gillespie

SENIOR ASSOCIATE RECTOR

Kinda hard to have a church with a head on it's shoulders and female priests when the bible explicitly places priesthood solely on males. They're wrong about fundamental church structure, of course they'll be wrong about everything else.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:

I'm shocked that you miss that they're both Christian and so should have that in common.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I'm shocked that you miss that they're both Christian and so should have that in common.
Go on...

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Go on...

That post didn't contain many multi-syllable words and was just a couple sentences. You should have been able to comprehend it, though that is a tight target to hit.
Last edited by awesome guy on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

As opposed to the churches that aren’t indoctrination centers, got it.

Go on.........
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yep. Almost none of the literature on their social media has anything to do with God, the gospel, etc.. It's almost entirely political.

Totally expected. That is the bent in most of today’s churches.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

In what universe.. even a far left communist one.... in what universe is a statue of George Washington.. “unsafe”??. I am asking a serious question. What person entering that church is in danger of anything with that memorial? Is the memorial going to come to life and be mean to a tranny? Serious question
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote: Ya know, in principle I'm not opposed to having women the clergy, but I have yet to see where a church with a woman priest/pastor has acted like they have even a little bit of sense.
Kinda hard to have a church with a head on it's shoulders and female priests when the bible explicitly places priesthood solely on males. They're wrong about fundamental church structure, of course they'll be wrong about everything else.
Our ancestors got it right here. Men have and - generally speaking - will always be the standard bearers for enforcement of societal norms / morality.

It's in our DNA. Think of a hunter-gatherer society where two cultures meet. A man who doesn't fight for his way of life is killed by the other tribe and doesn't pass on his genes. A woman who does fight for her way of life doesn't pass on her genes (think: war brides vs. a woman who drowns herself rather than be raped by the invaders).

Women are primed to acquiesce to new ideas/norms whereas men are not. A woman put in charge (unless backed by a strong man) of enforcing norms will assuredly let them erode.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, but they could at least study and follow the Bible.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I have a few other works of Fiction on my reading list before I get to the Bible. Now, just to make sure that this doesn’t sound like I’m picking on Christianity, the other religions are bullshit, too. My serious belief is that there probably is a higher power of some sort, but I seriously doubt that Jesus had the magic powers that his followers claimed to have had.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I have a few other works of Fiction on my reading list before I get to the Bible. Now, just to make sure that this doesn’t sound like I’m picking on Christianity, the other religions are bullshit, too. My serious belief is that there probably is a higher power of some sort, but I seriously doubt that Jesus had the magic powers that his followers claimed to have had.

You make an excellent argument for the importance of religiosity.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Your predictable catholic priest retort aside... if the Bible is a work of fiction, billions use it as their moral compass. I’d rather that particular fiction guide the masses than Mohammad’s kill all westerners/ women have no rights one.. all fictional books being equal of course.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Your predictable catholic priest retort aside... if the Bible is a work of fiction, billions use it as their moral compass. I’d rather that particular fiction guide the masses than Mohammad’s kill all westerners/ women have no rights one.. all fictional books being equal of course.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I can practice the good things in the Bible and not also have to be a Christian at the same time.