The Manafort Indictment: Not Much There, & a Boon for Trump

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

The Manafort Indictment: Not Much There, & a Boon for Trump

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Andrew McCarthy knocks it out of the park with this summary of this giant nothing burger of an "indictment." Mueller & his army of high paid lawyers may get Manafort on something, but they are not going to convict him on all these charges. My guess is they are hoping they can get him to plead guilty to some lesser charge so they can claim a scalp.

============================

The Manafort Indictment: Not Much There, and a Boon for Trump
by Andrew C. McCarthy October 30, 2017 2:20

Do not be fooled by the “Conspiracy against the United States” heading. The Paul Manafort indictment is much ado about nothing . . . except as a vehicle to squeeze Manafort, which is special counsel Robert Mueller’s objective — as we have been arguing for three months (see here, here, and here).

Do not be fooled by the “Conspiracy against the United States” heading on Count One (page 23 of the indictment). This case has nothing to do with what Democrats and the media call “the attack on our democracy” (i.e., the Kremlin’s meddling in the 2016 election, supposedly in “collusion” with the Trump campaign). Essentially, Manafort and his associate, Richard W. Gates, are charged with (a) conspiring to conceal from the U.S. government about $75 million they made as unregistered foreign agents for Ukraine, years before the 2016 election (mainly, from 2006 through 2014), and (b) a money-laundering conspiracy.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... -collusion

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: The Manafort Indictment: Not Much There, & a Boon for Tr

Post by HokieHam »

Yeah. That was a good read.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Prosecutors often pad their numbers with various indictments. It justifies budgeting for their endeavors; and it maximizes the probability that something will stick. I think they'll try to squeeze him for more info on Trump. I'm all for getting all of this dirty laundry aired for EVERYONE (including the Dalaibama administration and Clinton Crime syndicate). However, Mueller isn't the guy for that job. He has too many conflicts of interest.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:Prosecutors often pad their numbers with various indictments. It justifies budgeting for their endeavors; and it maximizes the probability that something will stick. I think they'll try to squeeze him for more info on Trump. I'm all for getting all of this dirty laundry aired for EVERYONE (including the Dalaibama administration and Clinton Crime syndicate). However, Mueller isn't the guy for that job. He has too many conflicts of interest.
I’m OK with letting it play out. This is just getting started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

I'm thinking the Clintons walk in this. If Mueller was going to prosecute them then he'd be dead already.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:I'm thinking the Clintons walk in this. If Mueller was going to prosecute them then he'd be dead already.
The only hope is for him to resign and a new one appointed...
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I'm thinking the Clintons walk in this. If Mueller was going to prosecute them then he'd be dead already.
The only hope is for him to resign and a new one appointed...
I think it's out of steam unless justice becomes the goal. And then we're back to people putting their lives on the line by crossing Hillary. Justice or suicide by 3 shots with a rifle to the back of the head, Mueller would have great faith and a willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice to pursue justice.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Prosecutors often pad their numbers with various indictments. It justifies budgeting for their endeavors; and it maximizes the probability that something will stick. I think they'll try to squeeze him for more info on Trump. I'm all for getting all of this dirty laundry aired for EVERYONE (including the Dalaibama administration and Clinton Crime syndicate). However, Mueller isn't the guy for that job. He has too many conflicts of interest.

A little disappointing actually. Maddow and Olbermann told me Donald Trump was going to be arrested on Monday- Led out of the oval office in handcuffs. They were sure of it- RUSSIA and all..... damn what a let down.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

A little disappointing actually. Maddow and Olbermann told me Donald Trump was going to be arrested on Monday- Led out of the oval office in handcuffs. They were sure of it- RUSSIA and all..... damn what a let down.
Mueller is a professional, doing his job. He's going about it the right way. He will do as good a job as anyone finding out how high the collusion went. If Trump allows this to play out, and not lose his sh!t, I would not be surprised to see him vindicated. I question whether he has that discipline.

I doubt that Maddow or Olbermann have the context of knowledge to be of much use.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Andrew McCarthy knocks it out of the park with this summary of this giant nothing burger of an "indictment." Mueller & his army of high paid lawyers may get Manafort on something, but they are not going to convict him on all these charges. My guess is they are hoping they can get him to plead guilty to some lesser charge so they can claim a scalp.

============================

The Manafort Indictment: Not Much There, and a Boon for Trump
by Andrew C. McCarthy October 30, 2017 2:20

Do not be fooled by the “Conspiracy against the United States” heading. The Paul Manafort indictment is much ado about nothing . . . except as a vehicle to squeeze Manafort, which is special counsel Robert Mueller’s objective — as we have been arguing for three months (see here, here, and here).

Do not be fooled by the “Conspiracy against the United States” heading on Count One (page 23 of the indictment). This case has nothing to do with what Democrats and the media call “the attack on our democracy” (i.e., the Kremlin’s meddling in the 2016 election, supposedly in “collusion” with the Trump campaign). Essentially, Manafort and his associate, Richard W. Gates, are charged with (a) conspiring to conceal from the U.S. government about $75 million they made as unregistered foreign agents for Ukraine, years before the 2016 election (mainly, from 2006 through 2014), and (b) a money-laundering conspiracy.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... -collusion
Yep, when the usual folks here were jumping for joy that they finally got Trump I kept saying you may want to wait to see how it turns out. But it was hilarious to watch the MSM go crazy last night that they had Trump on the ropes. The Manafort/Gates thing is from well before Trump was even a candidate and involves tax evasion and foreign money. On the face it looks awful but as the article says this will probably boil down to registration or procedural issues. Who actually owned the accounts in question? How is money earned fully overseas taxed in the USA? How were the companies set up? Lots of questions.

For the other guy that pled guilty (the other shoe to drop and nail Trump), you got a NON PAID guy involved in the campaign that had contact with people that knew dirt on Thunder thighs, his crime is he lied to the FBI. So where is the dirt? the supposed meetings were never had. Meanwhile Thunder thighs was paying Fusion GPS to make up stuff on Trump and get it as widely circulated as possible. Can't wait til the congress nails Thunder thighs for her actual crimes
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Mueller is a professional, doing his job. He's going about it the right way. He will do as good a job as anyone finding out how high the collusion went. If Trump allows this to play out, and not lose his sh!t, I would not be surprised to see him vindicated. I question whether he has that discipline.

I doubt that Maddow or Olbermann have the context of knowledge to be of much use.
wow, so wrong, a PROFESSIONAL resigns when it comes to light all of his conflict of interest on these issues. A professional does not hire a group that has so much bias going into the process. And lastly a professional stops wasting taxpayer money when six months ago everyone knew that the Russia collusion bull crap was just that. The bitch lost, get over it
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

We'll know his professionalism when a) he investigates podesta, fusion,uranium one, Hillary and the DNC, and b) when he recuses himself for being a witness/participant in uranium one
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I'm waiting for an adult to enter the room and use logic.. and no, I'm not holding my breath.. at all..

1. Hillary Clinton garnered more votes in this election. Dems have told us this in plain words and via sophomoric meme a million times. She WON.. BUT the Russians "fixed" it by making sure Trump "won".. hmmm weird
2. If Vladimir Putin, riding a black bear down PA Avenue with Mark Zuckerman pulling a cart with 200 billion dollars worth of "facebook ads" is fixing an election, wouldn't you have to have PROOF that people vote solely by what they see on facebook? Good luck proving anything close to that. Remember 99% of black people voted for Barack Obama, but they didn't do it because of his skin color, as there is no way to PROVE what is in the mind of the voter.
3. Foreign "interests/politics" have been part of American elections forever
4. Wake me, and others with common sense- when Mueller finds evidence/indicts state officials that worked with Russian officials to rig polling machines, intimidate people to vote a certain way, miscount votes on purpose, etc. THAT is the only way to FIX an election that was won on electoral college count vs. popular vote. The ONLY way to fix that is to tamper with the actual votes/machines/state results- Like PA did for Obama. If Meuller starts indicting state election officials, I'm listening to this Russian collusion bullshit
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

We'll know his professionalism when a) he investigates podesta, fusion,uranium one, Hillary and the DNC, and b) when he recuses himself for being a witness/participant in uranium one

Yep. This smells more like a case for the IRS than Mueller.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson