CA:Brown Signs Bill Removing Penalty for Using Guns in Crime

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

CA:Brown Signs Bill Removing Penalty for Using Guns in Crime

Post by USN_Hokie »

Democrats aren't against gun violence; they're just against conservatives and gun rights.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/201 ... gun-crime/
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: CA:Brown Signs Bill Removing Penalty for Using Guns in C

Post by awesome guy »

They're deviants that enjoy watching society crumble.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

It’s california - they need to reduce their insane inmate ( a lot of illegals) population and have always been soft on crime. 3 strikes and you are out is why they are getting softer so they dint have more inmates than regular citizen
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Democrats aren't against gun violence; they're just against conservatives and gun rights.

Good stuff. I support the measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Democrats aren't against gun violence; they're just against conservatives and gun rights.

they need to just go ahead and secede, the state is too dumb to be part of the United States
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

What is your logic here? outside of your typical far left agenda- seriously, explain to me the logic of wanting people with violent felonies with firearms to spend LESS time in jail? What is your logic for WANTING them back on the street? Felons that commit crimes with firearms really are good people? Some are heart surgeons? Is that your logic here?
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

What is your logic here? outside of your typical far left agenda- seriously, explain to me the logic of wanting people with violent felonies with firearms to spend LESS time in jail? What is your logic for WANTING them back on the street? Felons that commit crimes with firearms really are good people? Some are heart surgeons? Is that your logic here?
Well, it removes the mandatory penalty and gives discretion to judges, which could result in more jail time or less jail time, depending on the judge.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

All they’ve done is remove the mandatory sentencing rules, which can mandate ridiculous sentences that have little relationship to the actual crime committed. The judge still has the discretion to implement the penalty. It had not been removed as the article attempts to assert.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Well, it removes the mandatory penalty and gives discretion to judges, which could result in more jail time or less jail time, depending on the judge.
Correct. Breitbart is just pandering to the low infos.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

All they’ve done is remove the mandatory sentencing rules, which can mandate ridiculous sentences that have little relationship to the actual crime committed. The judge still has the discretion to implement the penalty. It had not been removed as the article attempts to assert.

IE - Less prison for violent criminals.

Locking violent people up is the only thing which prevents more violence. Don't pretend you care about gun violence while you give reduced sentences to people committing gun crimes.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Locking violent people up is the only thing which prevents more violence. Don't pretend you care about gun violence while you give reduced sentences to people committing gun crimes.
Maybe less time. Maybe not less time. If you were more well-versed on the results of automatic sentencing rules, you'd have a better understanding of this issue.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

And in Kalifornia, we KNOW that these judges will really put the hammer down on felons.. yep..
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Maybe less time. Maybe not less time. If you were more well-versed on the results of automatic sentencing rules, you'd have a better understanding of this issue.
Yes, automatic sentencing rules can be "mean" and strict to violent felons sometimes. It's tragic
Mcl3 Hokie

New Ca Gun Sentencing Rules

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

I can see them now.

Illegal aliens- no addition time
minority - no additional time
white male - additional 5 years.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

If you were well versed in math/statistics you'd understand this means less time on average. All the aspiring rappers who are "turning their life around" will get breaks.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Good stuff. I support the measure.

If you were well versed in math/statistics you'd understand this means less time on average. All the aspiring rappers who are "turning their life around" will get breaks.
Got it.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

If you were well versed in math/statistics you'd understand this means less time on average. All the aspiring rappers who are "turning their life around" will get breaks.[/quote]

Eye pee is just on one of his obtuse trolling days, good luck on an actual discussion
USN_Hokie

Re: New Ca Gun Sentencing Rules

Post by USN_Hokie »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:I can see them now.

Illegal aliens- no addition time
minority - no additional time
white male - additional 5 years.
Bottom line:

Violent people commit violent crime. Prison doesn't rehabilitate them aside from very rare instances (ex: crimes of passion where ordinarily peaceful people violent crime).

Less prison = more violent crime. California and other states are learning this the hard way as their politicians look at prisons as sources for more votes.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Do you understand how mandatory sentencing laws even came to be? Judges were using "discretion" in doling out sentences that had no rational relationship to the crimes committed. Even more importantly, minorities were getting heavier sentences than whites. The law took the vagaries out of sentencing.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Do you understand how mandatory sentencing laws even came to be? Judges were using "discretion" in doling out sentences that had no rational relationship to the crimes committed. Even more importantly, minorities were getting heavier sentences than whites. The law took the vagaries out of sentencing.
OK. While that may have been the goal, the result was crazy sentences. This will always be the result when you remove discretion from the decision.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: OK. While that may have been the goal, the result was crazy sentences. This will always be the result when you remove discretion from the decision.

True or false:

Longer prison sentences for violent crime = less violent crime.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: OK. While that may have been the goal, the result was crazy sentences. This will always be the result when you remove discretion from the decision.

True or false:

True.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

True or false:

True.
Why don't you want to reduce violent crime?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

True or false:

True.
Did you ever get in fist fights as a kid?

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

True or false:

True.
Did you ever get in fist fights as a kid?

No. I've never initiated violence against another, let alone committed a violent crime.

I'm curious what you're point was, though. Are you arguing we're all violent and no different than rapists and murderers?