Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Coal Production still at 1978 lows per this report

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Nobody should be surprised by this.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/awaiting-tru ... 52662.html
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Coal Production still at 1978 lows per this report

Post by Major Kong »

Not being reported...High BTU and low sulfur coal from the Middle Appalachian region is over $57 a short ton. Way outpacing it's nationwide counterparts.

At that price I wouldn't be surprised to see coal production ramping up....exports are way up this year.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:Not being reported...High BTU and low sulfur coal from the Middle Appalachian region is over $57 a short ton. Way outpacing it's nationwide counterparts.

At that price I wouldn't be surprised to see coal production ramping up....exports are way up this year.
Isn't that the "steel-coal" that is temporarily high due to production problems in Australia? I think the article covered that.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:Not being reported...High BTU and low sulfur coal from the Middle Appalachian region is over $57 a short ton. Way outpacing it's nationwide counterparts.

Isn't that the "steel-coal" that is temporarily high due to production problems in Australia? I think the article covered that.
Coal production in Oz are not coming back any time soon...maybe 5 or 6 years out, if then.

Exports have been way up all year with most of that coal going to Western Europe and FTR the drop in production #'s are for Middle Appalachian coal...Nationwide, coal is still humming right along at just below the 2008 record pace.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Coal production in Oz are not coming back any time soon...maybe 5 or 6 years out, if then.

Exports have been way up all year with most of that coal going to Western Europe and FTR the drop in production #'s are for Middle Appalachian coal...Nationwide, coal is still humming right along at just below the 2008 record pace.
Maybe the article is wrong or imprecise, but they suggest that overall domestic production of coal remains at all-time lows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Maybe the article is wrong or imprecise, but they suggest that overall domestic production of coal remains at all-time lows.

The article is wrong but I'm wrong also.

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Coal production for last year (750 millions short tons) was still a bit over 1978 #'s and so far this year is outpacing 2016...there has been a decline since the 2008 high with only 1 increase since 2011. The all time lows are way below the '78 levels.

It will be interesting on the long term how the shutting down of mines in OZ will affect the US market for exporting...as long as natural gas prices remain where they are domestic use will remain low.
Last edited by Major Kong on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:Coal production for last year (750 millions short tons) was still quite a bit over 1978 #'s and so far this year is outpacing 2016...there has been a decline since the 2008 high with only 1 increase since 2011.

It will be interesting on the long term how the shutting down of mines in OZ will affect the US market for exporting...as long as natural gas prices remain where they are domestic use will remain low.
What do you mean by OZ?

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:What do you mean by OZ?

Australia mate. :D

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:What do you mean by OZ?

Australia mate. :D
Got it! Your prior post makes a lot more sense to me now.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:Coal production for last year (750 millions short tons) was still quite a bit over 1978 #'s and so far this year is outpacing 2016...there has been a decline since the 2008 high with only 1 increase since 2011.

What do you mean by OZ?

keep in mind that China and other asian countries are building coal power plants like crazy to try and get power to their people. Thus the issue with all the handwringing over use of coal in the USA. We can totally stop using it, china will more than make up for what we stop using.