United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Time zone: America/New_York


UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics


Forum rules


Please be civil.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Posts: 10174
A retired professor was there as well. A democrat but a decent and reasonably sane fellow, we were discussing some of the dumb stuff trump does. I told him i liked trump more all the time, while acknowledging that he does and says and tweets some really stupid things.

He has spent time in china and knows the culture and that saving face is very important to the asians. He then referenced the fish feeding frenzy as trump poured too much food into the koy pond. This he said was an example of how ill mannered and ignorant he is. (My words.)

I told him he only saw the part of the video that the media wanted him to see. He was not aware that the japaneese leader had done the exact same thing trump did five seconds earlier.

He was embarrassed, unlike the libs here who generally double down on ignorance and rationalize or excuse their uninformed comments.

My point is that this is an educated man. Traveled the world, well spoken and intelligent. He believed what the media told him about trump not properly acting in the far east.

There must be countless millions of less intelligent, less well informed and less well spoken people who are also duped by the media.

There was also a very unattractive democrat (duh) candidate for something there, introducing herself to voters. I asked her what she would do differently than what is being done now. A pat answer about education, the environment and something else. Someone nearby asked her how to pay for that and she was not sure which taxes to raise.

I was shocked but decided she could beat the heck out of me so i did not suggest that she was just another tax and spend lib.

_________________
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 1327
You handed out ballots marked for candidates you, yourself, didn’t actually vote for?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 8459
HvilleHokie wrote:
You handed out ballots marked for candidates you, yourself, didn’t actually vote for?


he was handing out sample ballots, not specifically marked but did get a chance to have conversations with various people there. His points were all very relevant.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Posts: 10174
Hillsville has a point, actually. The sample ballot i handed out was a republican sample and showed votes for the R.

The person i referenced in the original post was doing the same thing with a sample democrat ballot.

My wife is a republican apparatchik and y'day was a raw and dreary day. She had been handing out samples for a few hours while i was in school. (238 mcbryde hall.) She needed a break so i stood in for her of an hour or so.

Most people didn't want the samples. The saw us (me and the D) standing there and most put there heads down or just looked straight ahead. They did not want to engage.
I joked with the D that i wonder if we would get more takers if we attached a $20 bill to the sample.

A waste of time in my opinion.

I did vote for the R for lt gov, for AG and in my district. So I did support republican candidates. Just not all the republican candidates.



cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
You handed out ballots marked for candidates you, yourself, didn’t actually vote for?


he was handing out sample ballots, not specifically marked but did get a chance to have conversations with various people there. His points were all very relevant.

_________________
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 8459
oaktonhokie wrote:
Hillsville has a point, actually. The sample ballot i handed out was a republican sample and showed votes for the R.

The person i referenced in the original post was doing the same thing with a sample democrat ballot.

My wife is a republican apparatchik and y'day was a raw and dreary day. She had been handing out samples for a few hours while i was in school. (238 mcbryde hall.) She needed a break so i stood in for her of an hour or so.

Most people didn't want the samples. The saw us (me and the D) standing there and most put there heads down or just looked straight ahead. They did not want to engage.
I joked with the D that i wonder if we would get more takers if we attached a $20 bill to the sample.

A waste of time in my opinion.

I did vote for the R for lt gov, for AG and in my district. So I did support republican candidates. Just not all the republican candidates.



cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
You handed out ballots marked for candidates you, yourself, didn’t actually vote for?


he was handing out sample ballots, not specifically marked but did get a chance to have conversations with various people there. His points were all very relevant.


I ignore those folks also, I know what is on the ballot before I go to vote


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Time zone: America/New_York


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!